My P2d p4 is broken!

Gitlaa

Newly Enlightened
I recently acquired a p2d from a certain Christmas giveaway on some great forum:whistle:, well anyway it does not work properly at all. Sometimes with a fresh battery, it will only work in a mode thats lower then low even if I twist the head all the way. If i try to change modes it blinks and stays in the same really really low mode (guess would be 2-3 lumens). If I let it rest for a few minutes it will usally start to work again. But recently it started to completely fail. I turned it on and nothing happen, I checked that battery and it measured 3.14 volts, I even tried a fresh surefire cell and still nothing:( (it is def not the switch since it works perfectly on my p3d). I have dropped it before but only once and no more then 2 feet onto grass. Should I try to contact the Fenix store even tho I did not purchase it from there?? Someone please help :sigh::sigh:

Thanks

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you put the battery in the wrong way. It goes super low if you reverse power it :( :poof:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
ive had similar problems with my l2d but after taking it apart and putting it back together again it works fine like it never happened. its happened about 3 or 4 times.:thinking:

Gitlaa

Newly Enlightened
But you got it 2nd hand, who says that's not why it was so graciously donated??

Well lets just say that is the case, but is there a warranty on it anyway? Or because i have not personally bought the light I'm stuck with a nonfunctional p2d??

ive had similar problems with my l2d but after taking it apart and putting it back together again it works fine like it never happened. its happened about 3 or 4 times.:thinking:

By taking it apart do you mean taking apart the head?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well lets just say that is the case, but is there a warranty on it anyway? Or because i have not personally bought the light I'm stuck with a nonfunctional p2d??

By taking it apart do you mean taking apart the head?

1) You should still be able to get a warrenty, might cost you a few bucks for shipping and parts. Contact fenix-store with your story

2) Try taking the whole thing apart. Take the guts out of the tail, and unscrew the driver in the head. Reclean all the contacts with alcohol, and reassemble.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Has anyone mentioned skipping the tail switch? Try connecting the battery negative to the body and see if it's "reliable" that way. If it is, it's most definitely something in the tail, most likely the switch.

Remember that the power conducts through the tailcap through the body, so it has to have a good electrical path through there, so it's possible to insulate by lubing it too much or with the wrong stuff, etc..

I suspect though that it's just a bad tail switch.

Gitlaa

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone mentioned skipping the tail switch? Try connecting the battery negative to the body and see if it's "reliable" that way. If it is, it's most definitely something in the tail, most likely the switch.

Remember that the power conducts through the tailcap through the body, so it has to have a good electrical path through there, so it's possible to insulate by lubing it too much or with the wrong stuff, etc..

I suspect though that it's just a bad tail switch.

Hmm, it works with my p3d tailcap, but not with its own, even tho when i checked the p2d tailcap on my p3d it worked fine:thinking:. Well i guess it was the tailcap, since sometimes it works and other times it does not which would make sense since when i tried it out on my p3d and it worked i immediately ruled out the tailcap as the problem.... Well anyway is there a warranty on fenix tailcaps?

betalight

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried a squirt of:
DeoxIT GOLD?
I've had bad lights magically come alive after a treatment to the switch/threads.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Tighten the retaining ring inside the tailcap.

Better yet, disassemble it and clean the interior contacts.

Gitlaa

Newly Enlightened
Tighten the retaining ring inside the tailcap.

Better yet, disassemble it and clean the interior contacts.

I did just that and now it seems to work fine:twothumbs, but i still don't trust it... as it could just fail at any moment.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did just that and now it seems to work fine:twothumbs, but i still don't trust it... as it could just fail at any moment.

Sometimes the rear of the body/battery tube doesn't make good contact with the retaining ring in the tailcap. Just because it worked on another light doesn't mean anything, because it may make contact on one light, and not another. If you re-adjusted the retaining ring that probably allowed it to make better contact. Make sure the tailcap is on tight. If it's working now it should be reliable. I've heard some people's retaining rings would screw in too far, which wouldn't allow the rear of the battery tube to make contact with it.