$10 DX 6090 drop-in almost on par w/ Dereelight CL1H

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I just got a working DX 6090 (previous shipment was damaged by the shipper) and installed it into my piece of junk Surefire 6P (it's junk b/c it rolls off the table, can't "click" on, and the lens melted :faint:). I'm comparing it to my semi-broken $80 Dereelight CL1H v3 w/ 2SM pill (no low mode) and, other than the color temperature (DX is bluish/purplish and the CL1H is yellowish), the 6090 is almost as bright. And it was only $10!!! Amazing!!! The OP reflectors for both are identical. The pills look similar as well, except for the spring. Even the Cree led modules look the same. Probably the best $10 I have ever spent but I don't think I'll be using the modded surefire because it still has the stupid non-clickable tail cap.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my specific case I'd have to agree with you. I have an old P4 dropin from DX and it is still one of my brighter lights in an old 6P. My tint is cool but not purplish. While my Malkoff M6 puts out more light for sure, the difference isn't as great (by the eyeball scale) as one would think; both in ceiling bounce and outdoor use. Mine is likely a jackpot winner in the lottery. I think the quality on these is pretty hit and miss. Glad to hear you got a good one.

dave43

Newly Enlightened
Do these fit the G2 and 6P with no modification? Are they brighter then the DX 1447?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every Dereelight CL1H reflector I have has an insulating washer installed on the rear of the REFLECTOR, rather than on the pill. You only need to install one on the pill if you try to use a CL1H pill on a DBS reflector. Or you can pry off the washer from the CL1H reflector and stick it on the rear of the DBS reflector.

Does the DX module have various modes like the Dereelight pills? Is it regualted? It maybe as bright, but there is more to a module than the output, such as modes, regulation, etc.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Every Dereelight CL1H reflector I have has an insulating washer installed on the rear of the REFLECTOR, rather than on the pill. You only need to install one on the pill if you try to use a CL1H pill on a DBS reflector. Or you can pry off the washer from the CL1H reflector and stick it on the rear of the DBS reflector.

Does the DX module have various modes like the Dereelight pills? Is it regualted? It maybe as bright, but there is more to a module than the output, such as modes, regulation, etc.
I double checked and the Dereelight does have the washer! It was clear so that's why I didn't notice it at first. Thanks for pointing that out. I edited my post.

I don't know if the DX module is regulated or not but the "2-mode" Dereelight is now a "1-mode" light since the low mode doesn't even work anymore. The Dereelight module may be better but the DX is $10 while the Dereelight 1 stage pill is $27. Don't get me wrong, I like my Dereelight. I'm just pointing out that the DX is a very affordable alternative. The DX is a third of the price with similar performance. To some, the dereelight is not worth it.

Last edited:

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Do these fit the G2 and 6P with no modification? Are they brighter then the DX 1447?
The 6090 fit my 6P perfectly. Just remove the outer spring from the 6090 that's depicted here. http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_6090_1.jpg
It slides off.

I don't know if it's brighter than the 1447.
Also, my led module does not look like the one on DX's webpage: http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/browseCustomerPhotos.dx/sku.6090~id.1515
Mine doesn't have "CREE XLAMP 7090B" or "WPG Tech" stamped on it. It only has "CREE" at the top. My dereelight also only has "CREE" stamped at the top.

planoflash

Newly Enlightened
I totally agree Ducati. The DX 6090 drop-in is by far my best buy to date. I have an older round bodied SF 6P marked "Laser Products" and the 6090 has rejuvenated this SF. It's not quite as bright as my new Fenix T1, but it's damn bright with ample white spill. I read about all the other expensive P6 drop-ins, but can't imagine any close to this value.

sed6

Enlightened
I'll add that the 6090 also fits the Brinkmann Maxfire LX and the old Cyclops incans without modification. I've tried a few from DX and the 6090 was the brightest. $10 to breathe new life into an obsolete incan is a bargain, whether the host was originally $100 or $10 :)