Performance Tools W2389 - Anybody Have One?

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
I got a "Performance Tools" W2389 9 LED flashlight for Christmas. It is a (extremely) cheaply made Chinese light that my Dad got for like $5.00. It seems pretty bright as far as LED flashlight go (that I have seen). It is powered by 3 AAA batteries and has a tail cap switch. Has anybody seen this light before? Ask and I will take some pictures of it. Like I said it is extremely poorly built and probably a joke to most of you.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.asp?catalog_name=mcmproducts&product_id=58-10825

tedjanxt

Enlightened
It's what some refer to as a "shower head" light, although this one is a small version.

They are good for flooding a small room with light, or an engine compartment. The build quality tends to be flimsy.

I have something like it by my TV/Stereo Cabinet incase I have to switch cables in the back and someone can hold a light for me.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
I'm obviously new to the forums, but it seems like the high output single LED lights are the best and the clustered LED lights are cheap old technology?

tedjanxt

Enlightened
As someone posted just earlier today somewhere, they have their place. Like I said, they throw a lot of light a short distance, so they "flood" a room well.

It just seems the single LED setups are pushing more for throw, IMO

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That looks to be the same as these lights. Dealextreme also has many good deals on highpower LED lights. I would suggest looking in the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section for lights getting good reviews.

The single LED units that your are thinking of are probably high power LED lights. They can be driven much harder then the 5mm LEDs(most are raited up to 1000 mA vs 20 mA) and produce much more light(the current ones can produce 180 lumen without a hitch, up to 230 lumen vs about 2-4 lumen average of most 5mm LEDs). The smaller size(compared to multiple 5mm LEDs) and wider emitting angle means that they are great for use with reflectors and optics.

The current gen high power LEDs have double or more the efficiency of the previous gen of high power LEDs. That means for the same power, the current LEDs will produce double or more output then the previous LEDs.

Common current gen LEDs: Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U-bin, Luxeon Rebel 80 and Rebel 100.

Previous gen LEDs: Luxeon I, III, V, and K2.

Also read the Welcome Mat(If you haven't already). Should help with a lot of the terms we use here.

:welcome: