Got to use my Surefire L1 on my 9:00 PM jog

Fooboy

Enlightened
I've started to take my L1 Cree (Christmas present) on my night time jogs. It's come in handy a lot around the house doing odd jobs, and just showing it off to people :)

Anyways, several areas of my jog are unlit so I use an occasional blast to make sure their are no obstructions or people on the trail ahead. I also use it on low to see the ground ahead of me when approaching cars headlights ruin my adapted night vision. I attach it to my forearm via the lanyard so I can have my handsfree if need be but hold it in my hand while I jog. Its extremely handy.

After jogging for nearly 10 years, I have become expectant of an occasional yell or honk of people trying to startle me - especially at night, usually teenagers just trying to be cool. I'm sure you other joggers can relate. I happened to be at an area where there was no light and I as I heard a car coming from behind me I thought - "I bet these guys are gonna yell at ---" before I could finish my thought I was startled by a loud yell as the car flew by. I barely flinched - but when I did I set off my L1's 65+ lumens - conviently it was perfectly aimed at the passenger's (yellers) face - no more than 4 yards away. I kept it trained on the faces as it continued by.

I'm not saying it scared him, but I saw his slightly quizical/wide-eyed look as they blew past. His yell trailed off prematurely and I heard one of his buddies say "woah!" as they sped by.

Ha! It made me feel better, anyways. I was thinking as I finished my run how it's nice to have such a powerful little light as you run through dark areas.

Last edited:

jk904jk

Banned
When you are at a movie theater and the person in front of you will not shut their cell phone so you can watch the movie in darkness....thats when I want to whip out my p1dce on strobe mode and blind them.

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I hope you were ready to back it up with something. Might have just pissed them off and caused them to stop and really hassle you.

Fooboy

Enlightened
I hope you were ready to back it up with something. Might have just pissed them off and caused them to stop and really hassle you.

Yea, I thought about that. I was watching for them to come back. I got a good look at the car, but they went off their own way. I wasnt looking to fight, just reacting - but I'm pretty big (6'4/210). Your point is taken though. What if it was a carload of linebackers?

I guess thats what's cool about having a powerful little light, you pretty much have the upper hand in sizing up the situation. They are blind, but you can see everything and make a decision - fight ..... or RUN!

I used to run the 4x400 relay so im pretty quick if need be! :party:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, I'm a runner, not a jogger! ;) I typically avoid the streets if I'm running at night. However, in the few times I do run at night on public roads I also take my L1 with me, but usually with an F04, so i couldn't have blasted the passersby quite like you did! :twothumbs

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

How do you carry your light while jogging/running?

I find it hard to have something heavy in my jogging short pocket bouncing up and down while I jog.

Any suggestions welcome. I'd like to start carrying a light while I jog.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an L1 when running at night too. Have for a couple of years (gen2 - posted many times about it ~a year ago) was great for dim narrow light for the dark sidewalk without spill to draw attention to myself.
I don't find the weight cumbersome, but I switch hands a lot. I get sore biceps on marathon runs, so I find it good arm conditioning.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an L1 when running at night too. Have for a couple of years (gen2 - posted many times about it ~a year ago) was great for dim narrow light for the dark sidewalk without spill to draw attention to myself.
I don't find the weight cumbersome, but I switch hands a lot. I get sore biceps on marathon runs, so I find it good arm conditioning.

You telling me you hold the light in your hands the whole time while running?

Wicho

Enlightened
Hey, try carrying a Motorola XTS5000 radio with you during your run. That's what I do. Don't usually carry a flashlight at night when I run, though, since the areas are pretty well lit. If one arm gets tired, I just hold it with the other hand.

It's like running with the old "heavy hands" weights.

Fooboy

Enlightened
I carry it in my hand as well ... but -

I use the included surefire lanyard and lanyard it to about mid forearm. That way I have handsfree if I need it AND it wont be swinging as wildly as if it was attached to my wrist.

I don't keep it on the whole time, only when I need it.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I do carry it the whole time. Switching hands every few minutes.
I typically use it three or four times each night on low in very dark areas to keep from tripping on sidewalk cracks or fallen branches. I have only used it once on Hi when the local junk collector came through the neighborhood at 11pm with his truck's brights on. I directed my unmodded (at the time) gen2 L1 at him and he turned the brights off. I use my shorter gen3 body now, or an E1 body with McE2S 30ohm switch and the same old gen2 head, but now Milky ML1 SSC. The momentary, one-press, two-levels is still the best.

A headlight while running has to be waaay to tight to stay still on me and still bounces too much, too hard to activate and point for the half second I need it.

BSBG

Enlightened
I run with a headlamp 3-4 times a week in the early AM. Much better for me than a handheld, which I have tried. Sometimes I bring a handheld for fun, but my arm gets tired or my hand gets cold from clutching the light.

Not to get too far OT, but I'd vote for the diffuser on the L1 Cree - the spot is kind of tight for me in this application.

Brozneo

Enlightened
You telling me you hold the light in your hands the whole time while running?

When I run at night I do - I also carry my keys in my hands also.

Usually when the run is < 1 hour I will carry my ROP LOLA in Mag 2D format, however if the run is > 1 hour, I usually take a smaller LED light eg. 2 or 1 x 123a....

I took my Mag11 with me once but got a few stares when I lit up things 100m away and was lighting up whole sports fields!