Help Converting WF-602D to SSC U-Bin

CactusSeed

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 Ultrafire WF-602D LED flashlights. (These use a single CR123 battery). I am wondering if someone could explain how to change the LED to a U-Bin SSC? I am novice to working on lights... It looks like the lamp assembly will unscrew from inside... But have no idea what I will find, and how difficult it would be to replace? Good description, and/or photos would be very helpful.
What parts do I need? Bare emitter? Z=Power mounted one? Any Spacers? Will I need to solder this? Or is it held with some cement? Will I need some thermal grease or material?

Also, Are Deal Extreme or Kai Domain good places to get the new emitters?

Lots of questions, but want to learn from experts to do this right!

And IF it's easier to tell me where this info is already posted, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

CS

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Which one do you have?

I'm guessing the Luxeon one?

If you can get the pill out, I shouldn't be too hard to swap in a new LED.

:welcome:

TMorita

Enlightened
I have 2 Ultrafire WF-602D LED flashlights. (These use a single CR123 battery). I am wondering if someone could explain how to change the LED to a U-Bin SSC? I am novice to working on lights... It looks like the lamp assembly will unscrew from inside... But have no idea what I will find, and how difficult it would be to replace? Good description, and/or photos would be very helpful.
What parts do I need? Bare emitter? Z=Power mounted one? Any Spacers? Will I need to solder this? Or is it held with some cement? Will I need some thermal grease or material?

Also, Are Deal Extreme or Kai Domain good places to get the new emitters?

Lots of questions, but want to learn from experts to do this right!

And IF it's easier to tell me where this info is already posted, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

CS

You have two in front of you. You can just unscrew the light pill and desolder the LED to see what you need, instead of asking a bunch of theoretical questions. LOL.

Toshi

CactusSeed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice.

Please know that I am new to working with LED lights, and this is first time I have opened up a head. So everything looks new/different to me..

I have removed the power regulation circuit and emitter (And can put them back...)

The emitter is on a board, and somehow attached to a black plastic threaded portion (Glued?)

The Regulation circuit is on separate metal threaded section.

Two wires from the circuit to the emitter.

How to know if regulated circuit will work with other emitters?

Will current reflector work with an SSC emitter?

Thanks !

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
To know if the driver will work with an SSC you can first.

1) attach the multimeter to pos and neg of the led, and whileyou have the light on, measure the voltage

2) disconnect the negative of the led and connect the multimeter between the - of the led and the driver cable, and with the light on, measure the current.

If the current is max of 1.2a and the voltage around 2.5~3.5 you should be fine to use an SSC with that driver.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Just make sure not to power the driver without a load. That would burn out the driver and you would have to get a new one.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Another quick and dirty way is to temporarily hook up the new emitter in parallel to the old one and eyeball the relative brightness. If the new one is lot brighter, you know you can just swap the emitters. If the new one is NOT brighter, then it indicates that it has high Vf and you may need different circuitry.

- Vikas