Mag 2C On A Diet

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
I was futzing around while building a couple of Space Needles tonight and was reminded of past comments here on CPF regarding the remarkably lightweight nature of these mods, not just because of the Mag 2C itself being physically smaller than 2Ds, etc., but mainly because I remove the heavy steel focusing piston as well as change the battery requirement from two heavy C cells to three lightweight CR123 lithiums.

So I first placed a Space Needle and then a stock 2C on a very accurate digital electronic scale left over from my AirgunaHolic days (during which time pellets, liquid CO2 fills, etc., were all fanatically weighed, down to 1/10th of a gram, in the name of increased power -- hey, kinda like what I'm into with flashlights nowadays) and got the following results:

Stock Maglite 2C - 15.6 oz.

Space Needle 3x123 - 12.8 oz.

A small difference to be sure, but one that adds up over time when lugging the light around. And with the piston weight gone from in front of the switch, it makes for better balance and a less front-heavy feel as well.

Just thought you should know; we at BulkWerks are always striving to improve our products...

Sincerely,

yclo

Flashaholic*
Go on.. you know you want to do it, just put the McLux Longtail on the scales already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
If I were going to have it machined, I think I would do just the head. Kind of the same thing as was done to the Legend LX, slimming it down along the sides. Then beadblast the anodizing off the body to match the color, and that'd be it...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Thanks leddy, although I was just being facetious. Plain ol' MR Bulk suits me just fine...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello MR Bulk,

I can see something new coming out of this...

Which of your modifacations gives the most light output per ounce?

MR Bulk - Home of the 1,000,000 lumen/ounce lighting devices.

Oh well, I can dream...

Tom

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ah yes, reminds me of the term coined by Peter Gransee of Arc, "light density", using external dimensions vs. output to feature the contrast between the two. Weight vs. output would also be an interesting study in size/performance contrasts.