a little help. want 9v in 2c M*g (rechargeable)

c3lica

Newly Enlightened
ok got a 2c conversion running a kpr112 with 3 123. right now it has oem reflector and lens but has aluminum mop and glass lens coming in mail. I would like to get 2x the batteries it needs to run (1 to run it and 1 just in case) i would like nihm or li-ion so i can have shelf life. i would like 9v to run the kpr112. anyideas? i am so lost... i have looked at so many dif batteries in the past 4 hours.

ALSO: if you think I have a better option (diff volts and a diff bulb) that would work with my new lens and reflector let me know. (I dont know what volt carley, rop, aw, bulbs run at)

I cant buy 15$ worth of batteries for every 60min of usage... 1.50 on a bulb...ok but not 15$. let me know what you think.

any and all input is appreciated

kavvika

Enlightened
I've had good luck running a 5-cell Maglite krypton bulb on 2x rechargeable Li-Ion cells. Perfectly white light that doesn't yellow or dim until the cells are ready to be recharged. 2x protected 18650 cells won't fit without the use of Downloads' MagRing2, but 2x unprotected 18650's will with the spring removed and a special anode connection using a split ring and some desoldering braid:
tailcapye5.jpg

2x 18500's will fit keeping the tailcap spring as they are the same length as a "C" cell, as will the 25500 "C" sized LiIons sold at DX.

If you want a little (OK, ALOT) more light, a ROP low or high bulb can be swapped in as it runs on the same voltage as 2x LiIons provide.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good bulb for mild hotwires is the Philips HPX53, rated as 6 V, 0.975 A. I found it hiding in Sears as the 6 volt xenon bulb for lanterns, part number 34-93204.

I am running it in a 2D light with 6 x AA NiMH in 2 D-size adapters. It runs at 7 V plus with a very bright white light drawing in excess of 1 A for a good 7 W output. I frosted my bulb to get a soft beam pattern and am using the stock lens and reflector. I don't know what voltage you can drive it to before it burns out, so I am being a little careful with it and not pushing it too hard.

For a simple inexpensive upgrade that far improves the stock Mag, it seems like a gem.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Just pick up a pair of AWs protected 18500s, they should fit in any 2C light with a tube to act as a spacer. Any "5-6 cell" bulb should work pretty well... Also consider the ROP low bulb if you want to step it up a notch, might melt something with it though :)

Neubauej

Newly Enlightened
On a different note altogether, you could pick up some $1 123 primaries at a place like batterystation. Shelf life would not be an issue with the lithiums. Not rechargable of course, and it still leaves the operating costs kinda high ($1.50 per bulb, $3.00 in batteries per use) but still cheaper than what you are doing now...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I recommend:

• Remove the membrane from around the switch assembly
  • Use an alllen wrench (forget the size) to remove the entire switch assembly.
  • Remove the head from the light so you are left with the empty "tube".
  • There is a small steel "retaining ring" inside the tube which the switch assembly bumps up against -- use a small screwdriver to pry it out
  • Next, reinstall the switch "higher up" so that extra room is created inside the body of the light.
  • Use desoldering braid to serve as (-) battery contact in the tailcap.
Once that is done, you should have room to install 2x protected 18650. That will be your most cost-effective option for rechargeables.

c3lica

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the feedback guys. i will either go 2x 18500 or 18650.

anyone know off the top of their head the voltage on rop bulbs?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the feedback guys. i will either go 2x 18500 or 18650.

anyone know off the top of their head the voltage on rop bulbs?
ROP bulbs run well on 2x LiIon cells. The bigger the better.

oh... actually would this apply for me?
The AW C-Cells for sale at lighthound are good -- 50% more capacity than 18650s, and they allow you to still store a spare lamp in the tailcap (although those aer a bit longer than a stock "C", so I'd still recommend both adding a spacer "ring", and moving the switch up.

I have some in my own ROP, but unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere right now.

Other options for ROP (not 2C) include:

6x NiMH in a 2D. Same capacity as 18650s, but if you already have a bunch of cells and chargers, not a bad option..

2x Emoli 26700 in a 3C maglite. These are non-protected, but use a "safe" LiIon chemistry, and would tend to hold their voltage/run "hotter" than standard LiIon.

Kaidomain 7.2V battery pack in a 2D. This is protected, and unfortunately requires addition of a NTC resistor -- the inrush current on a cold ROP-Hi triggers short-circuit protection, but with the addition of that component, the pack is 5000mAh, about 40% more than the AW "C" cells, and double 18650s.

c3lica

Newly Enlightened
I have some in my own ROP, but unfortunately they are out of stock everywhere right now.

yeah i just realized that earlier. Guess ill have to wait... maybe do the 18500 while I wait.

anyways, the reason I was curious about the bulbs is I had a kpr112 bulb from RS and was running it with 3 123. (6v bulb at 9v) and it burned out after like 30 minutes of use. I cant have that.

Do you have any suggestions on bulbs that I can get that would last longer. (id like at least 5 hours at least) maybe the rop, wa111, etc. do so... idk im really new to flashlight modding.

any ideas on where I can find lumens, runtimes and life lengths of bulbs?

thanks again guys

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyways, the reason I was curious about the bulbs is I had a kpr112 bulb from RS and was running it with 3 123. (6v bulb at 9v) and it burned out after like 30 minutes of use. I cant have that.

Do you have any suggestions on bulbs that I can get that would last longer.

Well, the KPR118 from Radio Shack (7.2 V 0.7 A) is a good match for 3 CR123As. Fairly bright but not overdriven. I have that now in a 99 cent Garrity 2AA light just for grins. I bored it out to take the fatter 123's.

For a brighter light, I just dropped in the 6 V HPX53 that I mentioned up the thread aways. Wow, was that bright! I made the mistake of looking into it and now I can't see for big orange blotches in front of my eyes. I don't know how long it would last though.

c3lica

Newly Enlightened
Well, the KPR118 from Radio Shack (7.2 V 0.7 A) is a good match for 3 CR123As. Fairly bright but not overdriven. I have that now in a 99 cent Garrity 2AA light just for grins. I bored it out to take the fatter 123's.

For a brighter light, I just dropped in the 6 V HPX53 that I mentioned up the thread aways. Wow, was that bright! I made the mistake of looking into it and now I can't see for big orange blotches in front of my eyes. I don't know how long it would last though.

cool. ill give the hpx53 a go and hope it last at least a few hours. thanks.