6PL or G2L?

cboo357

Newly Enlightened
Alright...I've searched this forum long and hard, and finally decided on one of these Surefires so please don't try to tell me to get another one because it will just cause me to spend another week researching again, lol. I appreciate everyones help, this forum is full of great knowledge. I know this is the place I'll get my answer...so what does everyone think, 6PL or G2L? I'll be using this light for work (Police Officer) so which one would best suit me and be the brighter of the two? (If they aren't exactly the same)

Thanks again for all your help

zippymbr

Newly Enlightened
I have both. Same light except for the body. Surefire says that the G2L has an hour longer runtime I think. Other than that the only other difference is the price. They basicaly used the same head for both lights.

Garand

Newly Enlightened
I may be wrong but I think the only difference between the two is the material the battery tube is made from.

I have the G2L and I would not pay the extra for the 6PL.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6PL has an all metal body so it has better heatsinking characteristics. That would come in handy if you want to put an aftermarket dropin in it, say, in a year or two. The G2L is nice in the cold from what I hear.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
The truth is that you can't go wrong with either of them!

However, if I remember correctly from Chevro's runtime tests (and that's a significant "if"), the 6PL delivered slightly more lumens because of the metal head's ability to better conduct heat away from the LED. However, this probably comes at the expense of runtime; after all, there's no such thing as a free lunch! Search the "reviews" section of CPF, and you should be able to find the relevant thread.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

dano101

Enlightened
Ok heres my $.002 on the issue. Both have the same light engine to them, as well, unlike the difference beteen the standard 6p and g2, the 6pl and g2l have the same head on them, the bodies and tail wsitches are what is different.

I have actually bought these for a couple of Law enforcement (RCMP) friends of mine, and hey commented on a few things.

1. The G2L does not get as cold on the hand as the Alluminim 6PL (in Canadian winters even with gloves your hands freeze with the metal 6
2. They find the G2L to have a more glove friendly grip, although if you are using it in hand only the 6PL might be better as the 6P grip is fantastic.
3. Blood/urine/excrement/vomit/mud etc seems to clean off better the plastic bodied G2L than the 6PL. Although if you run the 6PL body under hot water it should come off ok. but most times my friends just use hand sanitizer for their hands and a drinking bottle of water for the light. If you in the field and u only have a water bottle, maybe the G2L.
4. The 6PL and G2L both come with the momentary on-twist on/off tailcap, but if you want to go to a clickie (on/off only click) style of tailcap, your lmited with the plastic end on the G2L. You can still use one, but then you have a quirky looking half plastic half metal light, and may as well have gone with the 6Pl.

I personally have used both lights and find they are both great for different reasons. The 6PL even in its stock form feels quite substantial and quality. You feel you are using a precision piecw of equipment. If you are not faced with extreme cold and mainly use hands etc, the 6PL is great. On the other hand, the G2L does offer great comfort in gloves, will not get nearly as cold, and i find easier to hold and activate i slippery conditions. Plus the cleanup on the thing is much more easily achieved in the field if you want to just 'water-bottle' the light down.

Both work well, for different purposes. Chek out the weight too on these lights because there is a diffence and if weight is of concern, then try the G2L. You can actually hold the light in your mouth if you need to (being plasic) and not have it too heavy. That wont work with the 6PL.

And although you dsaid you didnt want an opinion on another light, maybe check out the 'backup' by surefire (its off their website now but you can find plemnty of threads on here). It looks like a great light.

Dano

USM0083

Enlightened
The 6PL has an all metal body so it has better heatsinking characteristics. That would come in handy if you want to put an aftermarket dropin in it, say, in a year or two. The G2L is nice in the cold from what I hear.

To add, the G2L has a longer runtime because the LED has thermal regulation and throttles output down to prevent overheating, so it outputs a bit less but for a bit longer.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Hey NA8, no fair divining what I'm going to say and then posting it while I'm composing my own reply. ;-)

- FITP

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Both have the same output(the newer G2Ls also have a metal bezel form what I've heard) because they use the same LED module(the P60L).

I'm guessing you want good output, single mode, and good runtime?

If yes, then either one would work fine.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I picked up a G2L a few weeks ago and at first I was not happy with the output it was just slightly brighter than the T1 on low. I decided to use it at work to test it out, I work for the cable company so I see alot of urban environment use. It has a nice amount of throw and spill able to light up a room evenly without killing your night adapted vision but still bright enough to light up the side of a garage a few houses down in a dark back yard. Overall it worked very well but in your case I would get the 6PL it will give you better thermal regulation when you buy the latest and greatest P60 drop-in:devil:

cboo357

Newly Enlightened
Man...you guys are GOOD! Thank you so much...one other quick question, is the G2L regulated?

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Man...you guys are GOOD! Thank you so much...one other quick question, is the G2L regulated?

Both lights use the same exact regulation, same bulb... everything. The only difference is that the output is also regulated by temperature. As the G2L (earlier models) only have a nitrolon head, the temperature would rise more rapidly than the aluminum in the 6PL, hence a longer runtime, but at a reduced output. The 6PL has a nice flat curve of constant output, the G2L goes for a little bit at the 6PL's output, but then drops because of thermal issues (~ 10 lumens or so).

Illum

Flashaholic
since the G2 was converted to metal bezels theres really no difference in performance...only the ergonomics thats different

I have neither, so don't take my word for it:ohgeez:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The module is the same in both lights.
Both throttle based on temperature.

Both are good choices.
IMHO I would recommend that you go to a local gun shop or any prick and mortar shop and hold each light in your hand.
Also If you plan on Edging either light on the job then the Holster is an important choice.
Have a look at the Concealco web site for some quality choices for these light.

Anyway the way you carry them may impact which light you buy.
How they handle with wolves on (do you wear gloves?)
One thing is that I prefer a clicky switch and if you want one you will have to buy one (Check this because I am not sure which switch comes with the 6PL. If you need a clicky you may have to buy one and the metal clicky's definitely feel better on a metal light.

There is no doubt the G2L and the 6Pl both are extremely heavy duty and either will last many years.
Good luck.
Yaesumofo

To add, the G2L has a longer runtime because the LED has thermal regulation and throttles output down to prevent overheating, so it outputs a bit less but for a bit longer.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I asked for and got a 6PL for Christmas. I asked for that because my KL3 looked wrong on a G2.

That said, the 6PL feels like a solid piece of aluminum. Feels stout!

It doesn't get numbing cold here. But I still have MOST of my aluminum lights wrapped with something to help it not feel so cool.

Last thought on the matter. I should think that even with both lights using the same aluminum bezel, the 6PL will stay brighter, and the G2L will run longer.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
You can do a lot of fun stuff to either - I got a 6PL, and have upgraded it to my tastes:

img1458mediumwm2.jpg

Leef Grip, Leef McClicky, glow-rings, and now a lanyard to boot. Now I have a 2x RCR123 rocket that will do some 230+ lumens for an hour, with a forward clicky. It's a thing of beauty, really.