UKE SL6 vs SL4 -beamspread

rlhess

Enlightened
In this thread on lights in the car, moraino wrote

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Richard,

Have you compared SL6 with SL4. I sort of remember Mr. Bulk or someone mentioned that SL4 is about the same throw as SL6 due to SL6 has wider beam pattern.

Hopefully someone has both or tried both can verify the above statement or share the experience. Thanks
Henry

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, Henry,

I'm not going to buy the SL4 just to compare...(okay drum me out of being a flashaholic) if someone wants to loan me one, I'll pay return shipping.

The SL6 is already narrow in the hotspot. Anything much narrower is becoming marginal for looking around IMHO.

The hotspot is 8 inches at 10 feet (in keeping with Brock's measurements of 18 inches at 23 feet (7m)) or a beamspread of about 4 degrees. The published beamspread is 8 degrees, but it's a LOT dimmer at 8 degrees than four. When I say 4 degrees, I'm talking +/- 2 degrees from the center line [ 2*arctan(4/120) ].

It was fun following the beam up in the dust, haze, water vapor, smog, whatever in the air.

Cheers,

Richard

moraino

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:
In this thread on lights in the car, moraino wrote

Hi, Henry,

I'm not going to buy the SL4 just to compare...(okay drum me out of being a flashaholic) if someone wants to loan me one, I'll pay return shipping.

The SL6 is already narrow in the hotspot. Anything much narrower is becoming marginal for looking around IMHO.

The hotspot is 8 inches at 10 feet (in keeping with Brock's measurements of 18 inches at 23 feet (7m)) or a beamspread of about 4 degrees. The published beamspread is 8 degrees, but it's a LOT dimmer at 8 degrees than four. When I say 4 degrees, I'm talking +/- 2 degrees from the center line [ 2*arctan(4/120) ].

It was fun following the beam up in the dust, haze, water vapor, smog, whatever in the air.

Cheers,

Richard
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard,

Sorry that I posted the wrong thread, I must be half sleep at the moment.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Thats was very good information from you. I was trying to get a SL4 but thought SL6 just a bit longer and should be throwing farther. Thanks.

Henry

rlhess

Enlightened
No apologies needed--I just wanted to separate out what I thought was an interesting question and give it its own thread.

Cheers,

Richard

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 10', my SL4 has about a 10" centrspot. I started to get the SL6, but decided I wanted the smaller light. TX