Malkoff E2T vs Surefire KE2A

ckfey2156

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and and looking for some advice on selecting a new LED head to for an Arisaka body to use as a rifle-mounted light.

I am torn between the Malkoff E2T (450 lumens at 12,000 candela for 1.25 hours) or a used Surefire KE2A (500 lumens at 13,000ish? candela for 1.5? hours). I'm not 100% sure what the Surefire's advertised specs actually are.

I have heard that Malkoff's advertised specs are spot on, while most other light manufactures tend to over-estimate the performance of their products.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with either light who could tell me how they compare?

Either of these LED heads would ultimately replace a Streamlight Rail Mount 1 light (advertised at 350 lumens at 12,000 candela with a (optimistic) 1.75 hour runtime).

After comparing the specs and reading about how lumens and candela are actually perceived by the eye, I wonder if neither the Malkoff or the Surefire would be a significant upgrade over my current Streamlight? What I want is a brighter light with more throw and a long runtime on primary batteries. I have the Arisaka body and switch parts already and they are not currently being used, so that's what drew me to the E2T and KE2A initially.

Also, I am aware that the Malkoff E2HT is a very popular option, but I need something that has a longer runtime than 25-30 minutes, and I don't want to use rechargeable batteries.

Your suggestions are welcome, thank you!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many people you planning to shoot that you need longer than 30 mins?
Seriously though sounds like the streamlight you already have is serving you well. Streamlights tend to gradually reduce their output as the run goes on. Our eyes can't tell and it saves battery. But some people want flat regulation even though they can't tell without a logging light meter. In that case either the malkoff or surefire will also serve you well. I'd go with surefire myself if you feel the need to buy a new light. I buy lights I don't need all the time

ckfey2156

Newly Enlightened
How many people you planning to shoot that you need longer than 30 mins?
Haha, hopefully NONE. Maybe I should have clarified to avoid sounding sinister. It's not uncommon in my job to work in the dark for hours at a time, while armed. I would prefer getting more mileage out of my batteries.

Thanks for your insight. It seems like the difference between 350 and 500 lumens maybe isn't enough of a difference to make a meaningful difference. Or, perhaps, not enough difference to justify the money.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, hopefully NONE. Maybe I should have clarified to avoid sounding sinister. It's not uncommon in my job to work in the dark for hours at a time, while armed. I would prefer getting more mileage out of my batteries.

Thanks for your insight. It seems like the difference between 350 and 500 lumens maybe isn't enough of a difference to make a meaningful difference. Or, perhaps, not enough difference to justify the money.
I was just being funny it wasn't sinister. I'm not really into weapon lights. But I had assumed they were only used when you were actively carrying your firearm in a ready state. Not just patrolling. Otherwise you'd be using a handheld flashlight.