op and sm?

hubbytuby

Newly Enlightened
I understand what both of those abreveations mean but which one suit wat applications. Is the sm better for throwing and not so much close up and is the op better for close up or wat? Which would suit me best if it was used in a T1 or Dereelight in the house, camping, fishing, and on hikes? Srry for all the posts but hey I need to learn somewhere.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smooth is generally for throw, especially with Cree LED's. Some LED's give a nicer more usuable beam, even with a smooth reflector, like SSC's, Rebel's, etc.

The textured reflector will give you a larger and more difussed hot spot, and brighter and more even spill. So for close up work, illuminating a trail, etc, the textured reflector is usually best.

DM51

Flashaholic
The abbreviation SMO means smooth, as in mirror finish. As WadeF says, this gives the best throw, but artifacts and imperfections in the beam are more visible.

The abbreviation xOP stands for varying grades of 'orange peel' appearance, with the 'x' usually given as VL (very light), L (light), M (medium), and H (heavy).

The heavier the orange peel effect, the smoother the beam will be, but this will be at the expense of throw.

EBW (Elephant Butt Wrinkle) is a further category, but this has yet to gain a wide following.