Taking pictures with UV-light

Polar Light

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried to take pictures with your digital camera in UV-light?
I modded one DX-light with Prolight Power LED UV (Blacklight) 180mW 1.3 Watt and was suprised to see the amount of stains I found around the house. Obviously I tried to take some pictures but those didn't turn out so nice. So I would like to ask what is the secret to good UV-pictures.

Here is a picture of my keyboard. It is actually much worse. :green:

keyboardinUV.jpg

katsyonak

Enlightened
I'm not a photographer, but I did take some UV pictures for my UV & IR Elly Mod thread and they did come out pretty different than what I've seen. The camera captures things differently and it's even more apparent with these frequencies of light.

Last edited:

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
I dont think stains on your keyboard is the best thing to posting on the web.

Anyway, so a uv does really show stuff you cant see normally?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried to take pictures with your digital camera in UV-light?
I modded one DX-light with Prolight Power LED UV (Blacklight) 180mW 1.3 Watt and was suprised to see the amount of stains I found around the house. Obviously I tried to take some pictures but those didn't turn out so nice. So I would like to ask what is the secret to good UV-pictures.

Here is a picture of my keyboard. It is actually much worse. :green:

keyboardinUV.jpg

duuuude... seriously, there are about a hundred jokes running through my mind right now that im not allowed to post...maybe key board wasnt the best idea. and saying that its much worse then it looks doesnt help. :eeew:

that said, anyone can tell me how UV Leds perform next to flourescent type UV lamps? the Leds ive tried are very poor at flourescing anything compared to my uv flourescent lamp.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
duuuude... seriously, there are about a hundred jokes running through my mind right now that im not allowed to post...maybe key board wasnt the best idea. and saying that its much worse then it looks doesnt help. :eeew:

maybe I shouldn't post my pic of my computer mice under lighthound's fauxton
after all:D

depends on whats the wavelength of your UV lamp and which wavelength's your diode carries...personally they all look the same to me:duh2:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D

I read somewhere that LED diodes arent capable of producing the same wavelengths of Flourescent UV lamps.:shrug:

hmm, what other stuff glows other then organic stuff (like cat ****)?

Crenshaw

Shreknow91

Enlightened
Happily I didn't post pictures about my microwave. ;)

And my keyoard is woking jst
fine.

Would be interesting to see your UV-pictures. Everybody please post.

if someone sends me a uv lamp, i would post a tour of my house :naughty:

hmmm i miss my blacklights

1 what

Enlightened
Very interesting....Most UV LEDS produce light closer to the visible spectrum than many of the other technologies. They therefore can seem to produce less fluorescence than non-led devices but it all depends on what you are looking at (i.e. the wavelength it responds to).

I went out into the garden tonight armed with my DX UV LED modified Inova T5 and trusty Canon S45.

flower1sl9.jpg

And this:
flower2xw9.jpg

As you can see there was a little breeze blowing the flowers around (1 sec exposure).

And this Lichen on a rock:
lichenpc7.jpg

Also took a photo of my foot and the cat litter (separate photos) and they were too gross for a general audience. Note to self: Treat fungal nail disease and then take the cat to vet re its kidney function.:eek:.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read somewhere that LED diodes arent capable of producing the same wavelengths of Flourescent UV lamps.:shrug:

hmm, what other stuff glows other then organic stuff (like cat ****)?
Fluorescent blacklights are usually 365nm with a UV-passing filter on the glass. A different phosphor can be used to produce 350nm dominant wavelength, but those are usually used with a clear glass rather than "black" glass, and are used to attract/kill insects. There are LEDs available at 365nm. that wavelength, but most are more like 390 (much more of a visible component). I think the biggest weakness of most LEDs is not the wavelength as much as the fact that power is low. 4ft Fluorescent blacklights are 30-40W, and probably a lot more efficient than the LEDs.

Basically, when looking at my house, the most noticeable things are:

1) anything with fluorescein in it (yellow-green)
2) most "bright" paper/white linens (blue)
3) Certain clear plastics (foggy blue)
4) dust, spilled food on stovetop etc. (also faint blue)

To make your photos more effective, filmiling with a filter that cuts off near-UV might make the objects that are fluorescing more apparent by contrast. A filter that appears yellow should work.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nichia's latest 365 nm UV LED puts out about 250 mW of light which is quite respectable, IMHO. Now 365 nm is not visible for most of us (if any of us?) so what we do see is that which is excited by the UV and fluoresces as mentioned. Most cameras and lenses have UV filters which would keep the camera from recording illumination based on the UV reflections themselves. I wonder if you can get lenses or if some cameras are actually capable of capturing the UV itself?!? Certainly in high intensities the digital cameras capture the UV itself as I have noticed when I have used UV to excite the H3 vials in images. In addition to a glowing H3 vial, I have seen reds and purples of intensity reflecting off metal. Examples:

T-Psyco.jpg

Line-Up.jpg

I would assume that a UV filter added to the camera could block the red and purple but I never tried it. :shrug:

[OT]

At the other end of the spectrum and also not visible to the naked eye is the IR. Now many of the cameras can capture reflected IR light if they don't have filters blocking it. I recall shooting some IR film probably 30 years ago and I had to use the lens on manual focus because IR light is bent differently by the lenses and its focus is different on the film plane than the visible light. I.E. if you focus or auto focus on visible light then the IR scene is out of focus or visa versa.

I recently built a couple IR based PD's using Osram IR LED's (quite powerful).

In the pic below, you can see the PD which is sitting on top of a B/W lipstick video camera which "sees" IR light and in the LCD display, you can see the IR Beam shot centered just to the right of a wall switch. You can also see the wall switch (out of focus) in the digital image and you can see that the Nikon D70 camera that took the picture is not sensitive to the IR light nor is the naked eye. Without the lipstick camera and LDC display, I had no idea that the IR PD was on or what its beam consisted of.

BeamShot-video-screen.jpg

I would imagine that with night vision gear, the IR PD would be quite effective in illuminating a field dark otherwise.

I found that my phone camera does not have such great IR filtering and I could actually use it with the PD to capture an image that was not visible to the naked eye. In the picture above, there was significant ambient light and the shutter speed was pretty quick. Same with the pic below where you can see that the phone camera viewing a PD being illuminated by another IR PD is picking up some of the IR light as well as the ambient visible light. In fact the intensity of the IR here was so great that even the Nikon D70 with a good Nikon AF60 2.8 lens picked up the IR light and represents it as a reddish reflection off the counter and light:

phone-camera.jpg

[/OT]

I think photography is fascinating as it allows you to record both direct as well as reflected light and in ways and means beyond that which the naked eye can capture and yet in other respects no where near as capable as the naked eye. Digital reception and recorded images have so much greater latitude than the films they are rapidly replacing and now with narrow band light sources available from SSL scenes can be illuminated for photographing in ways never before available; or at least with such ease and portability.

Polar Light

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for you imput guys.

Looks like that modern photo lenses have coating and lens material that blocks most of the UV-light.
Nikon has made UV-Nikkor lens series that should be good for UV shots. Does any of you own this rare and fairly expensive lens?

Superdave

Enlightened
If you really want to make your UV pics "pop" pick up a set of yellow UV glasses from any hardware store and use them as a lense filter.

i use them with my Terralux 1W UV drop in for the mini-mag, it's also alot easier on the eyes for normal "hunting".

Here are some pics of my rig (nothing fancy but it works well)

Purple (of course) Maglite w/o the filter:
http://www.3500z.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1052

With the filter:
http://www.3500z.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1054

and with the filter over the camera lense picking up some weird stuff on the wall of my new house..
http://www.3500z.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1056&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

Dave