Mag Light 3D Mods

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother just gave me an old Red Mag Light that takes 3 D batteries. It still has the factory bulb in the tail and the light is operational.

I know nothing about modifiying mag lights. I would like to turn this into a LED thrower within a reasonable cost. It also needs a new plastic lens. Would appreciate suggestions on the latest options.

Thanks

Bill

JamisonM

Enlightened
Do a bit of looking around. There are many drop-ins that simply replace the bulb in a maglite. Many of them are available for around $25. The more powerful ones get close to $100 and even more expensive. I think the most talked about though, are Gene's single emitter drop-in ($75) and the TerraLUX TLE-6EX $25). Coupled with the maglites stock reflector and a UCL lens; they will give you quite a thrower.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
MAX throw is accomplished with an aspheric lens, but those are getting hard to find. But, the Malkoff dropin or an SSC mounted to a LITEmania heatsink running at an amp or so will still have killer throw with the stock reflector.

ridgerunner

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend the TerraLUX MiniStar5 with Luxeon K2 TFFC LED for $25. With the Mag 3D (or 2D), you want the mod with the voltage booster: i.e. the TLE-6EXB model. (the TLE-6EX model is for Mags having 4 or more batteries - the "B" model is for Mags with 2 or 3 batteries.) I got two of these earlier this month here at Battery Junction. And you can enter the "CPF2006" discount coupon for a 5% discount!

This is a very easy "drop-in" replacement for the stock mag bulb and takes all of one minute to install with no tools. I just upgraded 2 of my old Mag 3Ds (and 2 AA Mags and a AAA Mag with similar drop-ins). You can even get a UV bulb for the AA Mag which is pretty cool as a novelty item. Check out this page for all the TerraLUX Mag drop ins.

Cheers!

(Note that I'm a noob around here but these bulbs sure seem bright to me.)

Last edited:

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electro lumens makes a 3 and 4 led drop in(seoul p4 led),600 and 800 lumens.They are around 100 to 120.Not cheap ,but very bright. I have seen the 3 led version,it is bright!!:twothumbs:welcome:

terrasonic

Newly Enlightened
My brother just gave me an old Red Mag Light that takes 3 D batteries. It still has the factory bulb in the tail and the light is operational.
>
Thanks
Bill

I have this 3D Red Mag from around 1990 that says "Winston" with an eagle above that. It has had a faulty switch since then, so never used, and is in almost mint shape.

When I finally decided to look at how to fix it (that and was browsing for what might be brighter than my Ultringstinger) I came across this forum.

Now...wow, so much to learn here. I'm a gear head and I had no clue people were into "modding" flashlights !! just when I thought I'd done everything there was to do cool, too. :twothumbs

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. I like the Electro Lumens @ 800 lumens but cost is too much for me.

Terrasonic, Mine says Winston on it too.

Bill

JamisonM

Enlightened
what are these 600 and 800 lumen drop ins we speak of? i'm interested...
Well, what do you want to know about them? They're just drop-ins, but instead of simply replacing the bulb or bulb and bulb retaining ring, they also replace the reflector as well. I got one of the Elektro Lumens MT-III drop-ins. It's got nice output on alkalines and a noticeably higher output with NiMH's. I doubt it's really putting out 600lm though, but it's still nice. It doesn't throw like my single emitter malkoff, but it's my go to light for around the house now.