Buildling an EDC kit, need help with a light...

Dienekes

Newly Enlightened
My EDC so far; Kimber Covert II pro 45 caliber w/ digicamo crimson trace laser grips (CC is legal here with a permit), Strider SnG in Ranger Green with drop point blade, Seiko Black Monster watch.

As you can see I am not averse to spending a little cash on these things, one day my life could well depend on them.

As you can see I need a good light. My requirements are as follows;

Must have;

Price range; $100 to $150.
Durability; This is a huge concern (you can tell by what I carry I like my stuff bombproof).
Water resistance; at the least. preferably submersible up to 30'.
Size; Small palm size. preferably 5" or less.
Bright white (best in my price range) but with a setting that won't ruin night vision. Preferably red or red filter. Is there such a thing as a combo light?
Color (not light color); would like green. Not a deal breaker though.
Must have lanyard loop and would like clip.

I am looking at Novatac right now. But I keep in mind I know nothing about lights....

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
Re: Buildling and EDC kit, need help with a light...

Definately check out the Novatac, if you want a more "tactical" looking light, see the new SureFire L1....and welcome to cpf!

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would consider a Surefire L1 or Novatac, backed up with a Fenix L0d-CE on the keys and a Photon Freedom or green / turquoise Photon II on a bead chain around the neck. If you shop them hard you should be able to stay close to your budget and will cover well the tactical / utility / emergency lighting chores that you might run into.

mwaldron

Enlightened
Since you didn't specify a size, I'll throw out the SureFire L2.

Edit: You did specify a size, I didn't see it the first time I read your post. The SF L2 is approx 6", the SF A2 is approx 5.25".

It can be had for roughly $150 new, less used. It has a clip, and a lanyard (removable breakaway attach point) as well as a Low (15) and High (100) lumen mode. On Low it goes forever. On High it goes for about 1 hour. It's also compatible with the SureFire F06 Red lens, which is what I alway keep on the end of mine.

It's longer than a 2-cell CR-123 should be, but depending on the size of your hands that can be an advantage if you are using it in conjunction with your pistol.

SureFire doesn't claim submersible, but I lost mine outdoors at the range for nearly a month during a fairly wet Iowa fall this year, when it was found it fired right up like new.

Another potential would be the SureFire A2. If you get one with Red LEDs you won't have to worry about having a filter, and it's about an inch shorter than the L2. It's the only digitally regulated incandescent light I'm aware of (it's bulb will not dim as the batteries decrease) which is good, but you'll sacrifice the ability to have two levels of white light.

You may also sacrifice some durability with the A2, as it has a filament vs a solid state LED emitter in the L2. Not having to worry about carrying a spare bulb is probably worth a lot.

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Stick with the Novatac, while I am not sure if you can get a red filter, there is bound to be somebody who can make one, and it fits all your other requirements perfectly, by the way nice watch-i am thinking of getting an Orange monster myself...

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one more +1 for the Novatac or Surefire L1. For your requirements these both fit quite nicely.

schiesz

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I'd do two lights.

+1 for the Novatac. It's slowly supplanting my TW4.

The second one - something like a Infinity or something that would be a low level camp light that had one hell of a long runtime. Even a Glo-Toob would be a good choice.

-Steve

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
+1 on the Infinity!
After you get set on a light you might want to bring along a tool as well.
A good multi tool is very handy.

LG&M

Enlightened
How about the new SF E2D and Fenix LOD-CE.
Or the SF E1B That is what I will be using with my S&W 642. However I only have a Timex.

resistance1

Newly Enlightened
nitecore defender infinity is my primary edc. probaly one of the brightest whitest beams.

any surefires will have the BEST build quality.

Dienekes

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys! I have it narrowed down to the Novatac programable and the Surefire L1 Cree. Looks like I can get Either for about $140.

I like the Novatac because I can program it for low light in a "covert situation" (sneaking around the bedroom in the morning) and also hve 3 other options. Is it easy for it to "unprogram" itself? I also like the fact that they claim it is submersible to 66' on their site, anyone have any experience with this? Size is amazing too at under 4". Plus I can get it in pewter, is this kind of like green? It appears to be. I think I can put a couple of o rings on it to use with a handgun to avoid metal to metal as well..

The Surefire L1 looks great but having only a brightness of 10 or 120 seems kind of limiting. Also can it take a good prolonged dunking, say a pool or lake?

I like the look of the Nightcore but ut seems like there could be some switch problems and they have not withstoofd the test of time yet... almost seems like you are paying for a cool case and a lanyard....

As for the Fenix light, they seem a little smooth and don't appear to be quite as rugged.

Keep in mind I am a beginner and don't know squat, so if I offend it is due to my lack of knowledge. Thanks again, I would love to know from you guys if my thoughts are on track here....