Happy valentines day! (need light advice)

J!m

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I know. "search first!"

Well, I'm a bit time strapped, with the day just around the corner, so I'm asking for some quick advice.

Background: My GF LOVES her dog. (he IS a very cool dog) He often needs a trip outside to take care of things in the dark. He USUALLY is very good, but sometimes gets attracted to an animal, and runs off. It is dark at night during these excursions.

She has seen my G2, and does not approve. She HAD a small light on her key chain, but it is dead and gone.

So, I was thinking that a small key chain light (ala Solitaire) would be perfect, but we all know the solitaire is crap...

So, advice for a small, easy to get locally decent light, under $100.00 that has good storage time (needs to run on lithium batteries, even if they are AA or AAA and not 123's) and l o n g run time, so she is not constantly changing batteries.

Easy hunh? Oh, colors other than black would be nice too, but not required. Remember, I have to get this quickly and cheaply, so no modded solitaires please!

Thanks in advance to everyone!:thumbsup:

kavvika

Enlightened
How many lumens are you looking for?

If she can get by with ~10, I recommend the Arc AAA-P with the DS or new GS Nichia LED.

If she needs more, you can't go wrong with a Fenix L0D-CE (Q4).

J!m

Newly Enlightened
That is a very good question, that I don't have an answer for!

I think output should rival that of a 2-AA Maglite. Unfortunately, I don't know how much that is...

Those Fenix lights allow adjustable output; however I fear that the interface may be complicated for her to enjoy using the light.

Something like a U2 has a great interface: turn it on, and turn the ring for more light. Simple. She is no dummy, but at the same time she will get a bad taste in her mouth if she has to remember any special sequences to operate the light.

So, I think single or dual output is the best, with the upper end at, or slightly beyond, the output of an AA Maglite.

Thanks again to all who are reading and responding!:wave:

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
I think a Mini Mag is around 10-15 lumens, but thats just an estimate. LOD Q4 runs on a AAA, and very nice output. I don't own one myself, but that will change before too long. If you want to go a little bigger (1XAA), the L1T is also nice. I got my father one, and he uses it all the time. It is definately not "keychain" size, but easily pocketable.

J!m

Newly Enlightened
Those look pretty good!

Does the runtime ratings assume alkaline batteries, or lithium? I believe the lithiums have a longer run time at the same voltage- am I wrong?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy J!m,
Honestly, you want the Fenix LOD Q4:
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=370

Reasons:
1. It's small and will fit easily on your girlfriend's keychain, which means she will always have it with her and WILL use it.
2. It is VERY easy to operate!!! When you first turn it on, it comes on at the medium setting of 30 lumens, which is plenty bright for 95% of most folks needs, so she may never even need to access any of the other settings.
3. Once she sees how easy it is to operate she will probably want to learn how to access the other levels (very easy to do), and it's nice to find out that you can run it for over 8 hours if you need it, or that you can double the brightness if you need that too.
4. It's RED!!!
5. It's been out for a while and has been shown to be VERY reliable, with many positive reviews from CPF members.
6. If you buy it from the Fenix store you have 30 days to try it out, and if for some reason your girlfriend doesn't absolutely love it, you can return it for a full refund.

Include a 4 pack of Energizer primary AAA lithium batteries and you are golden. As far as I'm concerned this light should be standard issue for all girlfriends. :)

The only problem I see is the "easy to get locally" challenge, so that would be something to consider as it will probably take 5-7 days for shipping.

IcantC

Enlightened
Howdy J!m,
Honestly, you want the Fenix LOD Q4:
https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=370

Reasons:
1. It's small and will fit easily on your girlfriend's keychain, which means she will always have it with her and WILL use it.
2. It is VERY easy to operate!!! When you first turn it on, it comes on at the medium setting of 30 lumens, which is plenty bright for 95% of most folks needs, so she may never even need to access any of the other settings.
3. Once she sees how easy it is to operate she will probably want to learn how to access the other levels (very easy to do), and it's nice to find out that you can run it for over 8 hours if you need it, or that you can double the brightness if you need that too.
4. It's RED!!!
5. It's been out for a while and has been shown to be VERY reliable, with many positive reviews from CPF members.
6. If you buy it from the Fenix store you have 30 days to try it out, and if for some reason your girlfriend doesn't absolutely love it, you can return it for a full refund.

Include a 4 pack of Energizer primary AAA lithium batteries and you are golden. As far as I'm concerned this light should be standard issue for all girlfriends. :)

The only problem I see is the "easy to get locally" challenge, so that would be something to consider as it will probably take 5-7 days for shipping.

+1

J!m

Newly Enlightened
That does indeed sound perfect...

The shipping IS an issue- I could easily spend as much as the light to get it overnight.

I do have a bit of leeway,as I already gave her a card and a small gift (I won't see her until Friday evening- after the official holiday) and she will not be expecting anything at all...:D

Is this one of the brands carried at Target? I can check there tonight. I have never went looking for 'serious' lights at Target, but then again I'm fairly new to this whole thing too...

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Target doesn't carry Fenix but they do have Inova and River Rock lights. In this case though I would also recommend the L0D Q4 either from the Fenix Store or from Lighthound. Check the dealer specials thread in the CPF MarketPlace for discount codes.
Battery Junction has good lights too, but not the L0DQ4, and they are in CT also.

J!m

Newly Enlightened
If battery junction is in Southern CT, I can swing by on the way to her house Friday evening...

I will find contact info now, and call them...

Thanks!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Target, Lowe's, and ****'s Sporting Goods have some Coast brand (Eddie Bauer at Target) lights that might do the job. Not the greatest, but I suppose you could describe them as "cute". If you go to Target these are in the sporting goods aisle. Good luck.

Geoff

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
J!m, you might also contact the Fenix Store by phone.... it's possible they can do overnight shipping for you.

J!m

Newly Enlightened
J!m, you might also contact the Fenix Store by phone.... it's possible they can do overnight shipping for you.

I know they can, but at what cost...

I will check at Target tonight. It is not far out of the way for me.

I also looked up battery junction, and they are a bit too far out of the way to pick up on Friday Evening. They will certainly be closed before I could get there with the New York traffic coming up 95...

If I strike out tonight, I will call the Fenix store. I like the red light (I think she will too). I wish it did not have the snowflakes and stuff on it...

Anyway, wish me luck tonight!:wave:

>edit: I just thought of something... If I get the light Friday, I can mill of the snowflakes and engrave her name in it instead! We have some nice engraving equipment in the back we use to serialize some of the name plates and other stuff... That would be cool!:twothumbs

Last edited:

J!m

Newly Enlightened
OK!

Thanks to everyone for their tips and advice. I should have started shopping sooner, but I think I did OK for last minute...:thinking:

Last night I went into Target and looked in the sporting goods department. At first, all I found were some "gadgets" which included leatherman tools and mag solitaire lights... I was about to give up when I decided to look around a bit more.

They have a 'flashlight' section! In there I found several decent lights, with the name I most recognized being Inova. I played around with what they had for a few minutes (black rock? Dorcy), weighing the simplicity of common AA or AAA cells to size, ease of use etc. I finally decided on two items for her, to cover both needs: the Inova XO and an Inova key chain LED light.

Perhaps not the best 'bang for the buck' out there, but she will certainly appreciate the key chain light- the jury is still out on the XO; she may think it is too 'geeky', although it is not for carry, it is for walking the dog. I think the relatively smooth, simple exterior may make it a bit more appealing than my G2.:poke:

The XO uses 123 cells, so they will store well, and I should have spares around when she needs them. So, this should give her a useful light for the dog duty, as well as if the power goes out.:candle:

How did I do?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, the runtime issue might rule this one out, but if you want to get her a beautifully crafted, tiny flashlight for her keyring, check out the Lummi Wee NS. I bought one of these for my girlfriend and she was most impressed. I got her the 80 lumen version, because she already has a Fenix L0D-CE on her keys to take care of longer runtimes.

DCP_7693_OrbWeeNS_Size.jpg

Wee shown on right against typical squeeze-keychain light

Available in 25, 50 or 80 lumen versions, with runtimes of 90, 30 and 15 minutes (to 50%) respectively. Rechargable, and simple, reliable twist switch. Review available here. Just look at the machining quality in those macro shots.

Last edited: