best red (not IR) flashlight

glenda17

Enlightened
I need a red light but not IR. What are some better options for a low cost ? Do they make a red lens for a 4D maglight?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally like the red Inova X5. It is bright, and runs practically forever on a single CR123. Plus its straight body is easily pocketable.

Bogie

Enlightened
I have a Red X5,SF L1, & a infinity Ultra in Red that are both great lights along with a few headlamps with red Led's as well.

What is the main use going to be ?

glenda17

Enlightened
this will be used for three things:

1. viewing my reef aquarium after dark

2. nightcrawler hunting

3. spotting vermin in the garden/yard at night

I am leaning toward a fenix with their $5 filter or a 6P clone w/P60 + surefire's $20 filter.

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Yes Mag makes a Red Filter/Lens - I got mine as part of a kit that came with an anti-roll slip on head piece and wall mounting clips. You do get usable light from a 2D Mag LED bulb - bit dim compared to a regular bulb.

Someone Nite Ize (??) makes a drop in that has 3 red led's and goes into a 2AA incan. Mag Light. I have 2 of these and they work fine for what I want. ( wandering around on a boat and looking at charts and finding the switch that is hidden who knows where )

UK also makes a Red Led swap for their 2AAA light - BUT you need to get the standard Incan. bulb version and then the Red Led unit. Don't start with the UK 2AAA Led - won't work.

mb

scottaw

Enlightened
Just go to smoket mtn knife works and grab a $5 gerber infinity, best deal going in red right now, and a nice light. I own one of those, 2 red X5's and a red L1, it's by far the best deal right now.

Evan III

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a coast LED Lenser with red LED off ebay. I don't have the model # right now, But it has a nice red flood and works great for lighting up eyes. I've tried a bunch of different filters and in my opinion they dull the output to much for me.

dano101

Enlightened
i like the streamlight stylus myself, plus for a cheap added option you could always go witht he streamlight night-com. it runs a standard xenon incan as well as 2 red leds with decent brightness and one red led thats basically one of those 'read a foot in front of you' brighnesses

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The red filters block about 90% of the light. A dedicated Red LED is much more efficient.

Off the top of my head I would recommend.
-Photon 2 - in RED or orange
-Rayovac sportsman extreme headlamp 1AA and 3 colors- avail at walmart for $20
-Photon Proton Pro- 5mm Red and high power white LED.

Brightest option:
Red Lux3 PR style drop in for your mag. around $25

Last edited:

davidra

Enlightened
this will be used for three things:

1. viewing my reef aquarium after dark

2. nightcrawler hunting

3. spotting vermin in the garden/yard at night

I am leaning toward a fenix with their $5 filter or a 6P clone w/P60 + surefire's $20 filter.

Just an observation....I have an X5 and A2 with red LED's. Spotting anything in the yard at night will be difficult for any red LED unless it's so bright that it will easily knock out your night vision. The successful use of any red LED outdoors is dramatically dependent on ambient light....if it's really really dark, some reds might be helpful, especially the Photon, which is pretty bright compared to most of the others. If you're got streetlights, or houselights on, red LED's look pretty dim most of the time. Not that you can't get very very bright ones....but they don't preserve your night vision.

Dadof6

Enlightened
If you can get your hands on a Surefire L1 with t a red LED, the older style with throw, you will have an awesome throwing red LED. I have my L1 head mounted on an E1L body and it does the job.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a red Surefire A2. You can pick one up cheap at BST section, well cheap as compared to their suggested retail price.

A red minimag lens inside a rubber anti-roll bezel fits very nicely over my E2d bezel and is plenty bright.

OceanView

Enlightened
Spotting anything in the yard at night will be difficult for any red LED unless it's so bright that it will easily knock out your night vision.
I agreew with davidra. #3 and red light don't really go together. In addition to what he said, any animal with dark fur is going to be pretty invisible under red light anyway.

Energie

Enlightened
Some red lights:

SF L1 with Luxeon K2 emitter / McR18 (very bright)
Novatac 85T with SF filter
Civictor with Luxeon I emitter (very bright)
Fenix E0 with 5mm Led

Red.jpg

Bolek

Enlightened
streamlight Sidewinder is the only red light I have. It has 4 level+blinking, awful beam in red but I don't care. This light is my main rear bike light (the other is a 2 LED light which is mounted on the bike). It sems very reliable and you have other coulors if you want.