Expedition 1900, Aluminum Ltd Edition

krypton

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at purchasing an Expedition 1900, Aluminum Ltd Edition or a Trek 4, Aluminum, Ltd. Edition flashlight. Can anyone with experience in these models please let me know your thoughts, recommendations?

Similarly, if anyone has any other recommendations of a high quality LED (2 or 3 AA or C cell) light, I would be interested in your comments. What ever I buy, it will have to be based on recommendations only, as no quality LED's are available in Australia to my knowledge.

As you could probably tell, I prefer the solid aluminum models to plastic.

Thanks

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi krypton,
Welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For some nice reviews, check out this thread:
Reviews Web Sites (External) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

For some great LS based lights, make sure to take a look at Electrolumens' site... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Inretech has very nice drop-in modules for Maglites.

Just browse the boards and you will find everything (and more...), you need. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
Well, we could reccomend lights that range from $2 to $200.

First, what's your budget? Second, what are you going to use it for? Third, what kind of run time do you need?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only three responses? Well I won't let my ignorance prevent me from responding then. The only aluminum C cell lights I know of are the ones you mentioned. The Arc LS can be bought with the 2 AA battery holder. I believe it now comes standard with the 123 holder, so it will cost you an extra $20 for the 2 AA holder. I can't afford the LS firsts, but I have two factory seconds with the 2 AA and the 1 AA holders. I don't think they make the 1 AA anymore. Pretty nifty lights but pricey, but of course the Expedition 19 ain't exactly cheap either.

krypton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. I've read up as much as I can and have narrowed the candidates down to either an Arc-LSH Premium Head with a 2AA Power Pack w/tail switch or the Expedition 1900, Aluminum Ltd Edition.

I'm not overly concerned with run time, more on power output. Both models seem to have reasonable run time.

I'm hoping that someone in this forum may have compared the two lights, or owns both, and can let me know the brighter of the two. I've read several conflicting reviews and the best I can gather is they are very similar in output.

Please respond quickly! While reading these forums I purchased an Arc AAA (because it looked interesting) then I ordered an Arc AAA LE (because it looked better). If I don't make my mind up soon on the Arc-LSH Premium vs. Expedition 1900, Aluminum Ltd Edition, I might end up purchasing both. This would probably result in a divorce, or worse still, admission to hospital. Please help!

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Expedition 19 but I have to believe it puts out more light than the Arc LS. I'd guess twice as much. As with any Nichia light it puts out a fairly broad beam that makes it an excellent work light. Of course it's a fairly big flashlight and I suppose you would carry it sticking out of your back pocket. They now come with an optional micro fresnel lens which I don't have any experience with. This would tighten up the beam, but I don't know how much.

The Arc LS puts out enough light for most flashlight needs. The beam is concentrated in a smaller hot spot and may throw farther. Being small it fits easily in your pocket. Some people carry one at all times.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Krypton...

I don`t have an Expedition 1900, but I do have several Trek 14 flashlights for general use around the house. Nice flashlights.

Having said that, though, I`d definitely recommend that you first buy the Arc LSH-P. While the Expedition and Trek flashlights are "nice", the Arc`s are "spectacular". The Arc`s are simply some of the best flashlights being made today, with a really bright and highly useful beam in a small package.

Most importantly, the Arc would become part of your EDC, especially if you decide to use the 123 battery pack, which IMHO is the best and most impressive configuration, while the Expedition/Trek is too big for EDC.

Best news, though...whatever decision you make will be the "right" decision, because (i) both of the flashlights you`re looking at are good, high quality flashlights, and (ii) no matter what you say now, you will very probably end up buying both of them in time.

Best wishes to you...

And welcome to the CPF!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

krypton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice (I think). Let me see if I have this right:

1. Both lights are good.
2. I'll end up buying both.
3. I'll end up divorced.

Sound's about right!

Thanks

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Krypton...

With the hopeful exception of your entry #3...

BULLSEYE!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, you'll need all three. The Expedition, the LS, and a good divorce lawyer.

Which reminds me of the guy who plays country & western records backwards. That way he gets his wife back, he gets his dog back, and he gets his pickup truck back.

JonathanF

Newly Enlightened
I tend to agree with Carpe Diem. The size of the ARC LS is a huge bonus if you need a 'light with you, rather than stashed in the car/house. An obvious disadvantage is that there is no lock-out on the switch so it can be inadvertently turned on in the pocket (I had this happen a few times with a Streamlight Scorpion). However, AA's are easy to carry and cheap!

In trying to compare the two (Luxeon 1W and 19 5mm LED's) it might assist to compare a couple of Surefire models to get an idea of output. The SF KL1 uses a 1W Luxeon and outputs 16-17 lumens (KL1 on E1e/E2e). The KL2 uses 19 5mm LED's and on an M3 outputs 27 lumens. OK so things will be a little different for the ARC and Expedition, but you get the idea. I tried a KL1 recently was very impressed with the brightness, compared with a 5 LED Inova X5T the light is usable for getting about but not as a long distance/tactical light.

A final consideration, I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Expedition is not regulated, but the ARC definitely is. Therefore, the light intensity for the Expedition will dorp off as the batteries run down, but somewhat slowly given the capacity of 3 C cells. Maybe another CPF'er can comment on when a noticeable dropoff in brightness of the E 1900 would occur.

Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif