Hotwire Setup Advice Needed

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings all! I am setting up my first hotwire and I wish your input / opinion on this, plus info on the more finer points I am missing…

So….

- I do not want to go to a 9xAA setup

- I will be using a 4AA charger and do not wish to go to the trouble of a specialized "on the adapter" charging. So I can handle a lesser complicated adapter like the mdocod's one.

- I am partial to the 2D mag format I believe I cannot have it a 8AA adapter without boring out.

- A 8AA hotwire leaves you with a WA1185 (standard specs) or the too overdriven WA1164 (too small a bulb life) choices.

The 6AA format is partial to me since I have more bulb options ( Pelican 3854-H, Philips 5761, WA1111, WA1274 ?) * And because I can have a spare TL-1F module in the taicap

So all you comments suggestions are welcome, Kostas

* hmm more questions on the 3854 (seems to be a li-ion driven hotwire) and the 1274 which I have no info of other that a hot rating spreadsheet by another member)

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can run the 3854 HI bulb on 7 rested low self discharge AA cells like Sanyo Eneloops plus one dummy cell or you could use 6 slightly fatter high current cells like the Titanium Power Max 1800maH ones.

You do not need to bore out a 2D Mag to use 7 Eneloops plus a dummy. They are slim enough to fit in but it will be snug. It's a known good combination.
Also, black mags are a hair larger inside than colored mags and the older 2D mags without the letter D in the serial number are bigger inside than the newer ones.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is all about output versus runtime and what modifications you are willing to perform to acheive what you want. You choose the balance from the available options you seem to be already aware of. In a 2D, my preferred balance would be a 7.2V pack driving the WA111. Acceptable runtime with acceptable output to me.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys, thanks for the input so far. At this moment I am reading old threads. So I will return shortly with more questions. Thanx so far, Kostas