White/UV in same LED - pics added

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is directed primarily toward Craig, but I thought everyone might be interested. I'm in the process of reviewing a Litepro Quasar (available at Pocketlights.com). It has only 1 LED in the front but appears to have 2 die in there. One is white and the other is UV. White light shines at an angle to one side and UV shines at an angle to the other side. Wondering if anyone (Craig?) has seen anything like this before? There's 3 leads coming out of the LED.

Here's a couple of pics:

litepro_quasar_bezel.jpg
litepro_quasar_inside.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Hi Doug,

Nope, I haven't seen this LED or anything even remotely like it. Strangest thing I've seen until now are those funky red/blue LEDs with milky diffused cases. I've got a bag of these.

I've never seen white and violet together! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Intriguing!

Looks similar in construction to one I`ve got here that came in the body of a knockoff Photon 2. It shines 2 seperate (green and blue) beams from the same LED. Dies are connected in series and appear to be GaN types.

Looks kind of like:

dualcolleddiecups.jpg

....inside it.

They also offered other colour combinations including red/blue and red/green, so they`re not just limited to nitride dies in there - it works cos they`re series connected.

dualcolledbeamclose.jpg
dualcolleddiode.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red/white would be VERY nice, if that were made. Night vision preservation and full color spectrum, selectable in the same LED...

Chris - are the 2 different colors selectable, one OR the other? If so, aren't they in parallel, not series?

The white/UV is selectable between the 2...

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">are the 2 different colors selectable, one OR the other? </font>

<font color="800000">Nope, it`s only a 2-pin device and the dies are indeed connected in series so it`s both or nothing unfortunately. It would seem that this LED of mine isn`t quite so similar as yours. It appears to be made to appeal to those nightclub-going folks and not as a practical light.

I only got it cos I`d not seen one like it before. I`m not the nightclub-going type.....</font>

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Quickbeam said:
The full review is up, with more pics:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's COOL!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You'd feel like James Bond going around with that thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif