No Darkness Needed.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Been using my Fenix P3D Q5 as my work light since I got it. I usually work 2nd shift. (4pm - Midnight). Nowadays, it doesn't get dark until almost 2 hours into my shift. The main portion of my security job involves patrolling. I use an electronic wand to hit tiny metal disks, all along my patrol route. The wand keeps an electronic log of all the disks I hit, and the time I hit them. The problem with the detex disks is that they have no adhesive backing. A compound is used to hold them in place. It works well.... most of the time.

The last detex I usually hit, went missing. It's also positioned above a patch of ground that is covered in large pieces of gravel. The color of the detex disk is very close to the color of the gravel. Finding it would be impossible. But I pulled out my P3D, set it on turbo, and tried anyway!

Turbo mode + the nice, bright, hotspot was a big help; despite the Sun still being out. While I never found the detex disk, the light really brought out the details in the gravel. (Found out later that the disk was missing since the weekend, and was likely not in the gravel).

Who says you need darkness to use a flashlight? All you need is a light with a bright enough hotspot! :twothumbs

Anyone else use their lights for a task, while the Sun was still out?

worldedit

Enlightened
Sure! Im into geocaching. Those caches often hide in dark spots, between rocks or under trees. I made the mistake of caching without a light only once.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Sure! Im into geocaching. Those caches often hide in dark spots, between rocks or under trees. I made the mistake of caching without a light only once.

Yeah, no kidding. I've found many a cache in the sunlight with a flashlight. Caches tend to be tucked into things and I try to minimize the sticking my fingers into random places.

I have gotten to where I do a lot of night caching, so a good flashlight is essential for that of course. I used to cache with an Arc AAA because of its low output. My E1e with McLux/Lux 3 head and my P2D CE were way too bright, but now I use a Nitecore Defender Infinity because of it's very low output. Plus it's nicely knurled, good runtime, and highly variable output from very low to very high.

The folks in my local geocaching 'club' mainlly scoffed at a thread I created about flashlights in caching. As with most folks, even many geocachers think of flashlights as something you use at night and costs $3 from Wal Mart.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are still shadows during broad daylight and I've used flashlights to peer inside tractors, underneath bicycle seats and cars, find items dropped on a carpet, etc.

KingGlamis

Banned
I work in a race shop and even during daytime with the lights on in the shop I often need a flashlight to see close-up details of a part of a race vehicle, such as under the hood, under the vehicle, suspension components, etc. It amazes me that most of my coworkers, who have thousands of dollars of tools, don't even own a flashlight. And the few that do have flashlights own sub-par lights.

worldedit

Enlightened
What light do you usually use for doing that?

When caching at night i use my Zebralight and Regalight WT1, they give a good couple.

During daylight i prefer L2D-ce or LM31 cause they are better to carry. Carry them for backup at night too.