Problems grounding driver board

KrisP

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm just wondering how everyone else grounds their driver board to the flashlight body or heatsink when doing LED mods to Maglites. I've done a few but have never found a neat way of doing it.
When doing single LED mods with heatsinks that sit in the top of the body, I grind the anodizing from the inside of the body and outside of the heatsink so contact can be made, but then grounding the outer ground ring of the driver board to the heatsink has been VERY difficult. The only way i've done it previously is to drill a hole in the heatsink, solder a wire to a screw, then screw the screw into the heatsink. This doesn't seem like a very smart way of doing it.

How do all the "pros", who manufacture and sell lights on here, do it?

Right now i'm getting really mad at current mod (1C with tail switch, red Cree, 5 mode 700mA driver) which is not going my way :(

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KrisP

Enlightened
WORKED IT OUT :D

I used a dremel to grind a little of the heatsink away, then soldered a short piece of 'Soder-wick' to the ground on the driver board, then folded it up around to the outside of the heatsink. So when the heatsink is inserted into the Mag body, the copper 'Soder-wich' is wedged tight between the body and heatsink.

I'm still interested in knowing how the '"pros" do it, please :)

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I solder a wire to switch anchor screw part at the bottom of the switch.

Bottom of the Mag D switch, see the solder blob just to the north of the nut that holds the switch anchor screw. This follows the normal Mag switch ground path, when you put it back in and tighten it down you have ground…no grinding involved :)

DSC00209.jpg

Hope this helps :wave:

Later
Kelly

KrisP

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, Sway.

Unfortunately, i'm using a shortened Mag which has had the switch removed. My switch is in the tail cap.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, sorry I missed the part about the tail switch.....Carry on!!!

:nana:

Later
Kelly

Last edited: