Looks like Inova realy hit the mark for 2008!

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I was always skeptical of Inova lights in the past. Their advertised specs were always way higher than their actual performance. Inova rated the output of their lights either by the wattage, or by the number of lumens that the emitters were rated for by the LED manufacturer. Neither of these pieces of data gave you an accurate measurement of the real light output. Also, some of Inova's old published specifications simply didn't make any since. The 2007 T2 was advertised as being brighter with a longer runtime than the 2007 T1 when both lights used 2 batteries. :huh2: Just trying to make since of that drove me nuts :hairpull:

I always had the impression that by buying an Inova light, you were guarenteed a product that didn't work as well as advertised.

Now from the initial impression, it looks like the new 2008 T series has hit the mark dead on! Not only are they using a great emitter, but it also looks like they are putting accurate runtime graphs on the packaging of the lights, and the output of the lights are advertised as the actual number of lumens produced.

Now when you buy an Inova, you know exactly what your getting! I can't wait for the 2008 T4!

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
First of all, I think you'll be very happy with the new T4. I think it will be one of the best duty lights out there. It will be better than the Pelican 7060, and it will pack a whallop at the same time since it is made of metal. Inova did seemingly exaggerate their numbers in the past. This became evident when I first compared my TIROS X03 to the night-ops gladius from the passaround. The Gladius was simply brighter, and had a much more useable beam. But regardless of the overall output of the X03, the fit and finish, quality, functionality and overall confidence-inspiring design was, and still is top notch. This is my first "T" series light from Inova, and I really dig their switch design. Enjoy the T4 and make sure you get some pics if you can! I'de love to see what it can do.

OceanView

Enlightened
Now from the initial impression, it looks like the new 2008 T series has hit the mark dead on!
I agree. Based on what I've been reading here on CPF, this is the first time I can remember actually actually being really interested in an Inova light. I've admired the construction of some of their lights for a long time, but the performance and output have lagged enough to turn my wallet elsewhere. Go, go, Inova! :thumbsup:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
In what way?

Well, of course this is purely my opinion and speculation, but I think the T4 will do everything that the 7060 didn't do for me.

I liked the 7060 a lot, but I didn't found the cooler spot-beam very useful, particularly up-close. It also had a lot of artifacts in the beam. I was also slightly turned off by how light-weight the 7060 is. It would not make a good impact weapon.

The 2008 Inova T4 will be heavier, and will have a more useful beam pattern from the non-smooth reflector, and I also prefer the warmer tint. Oh yeah and the charger from Inova is probably 100 times better than the cheap attempt that came with the 7060(or whoever in China made that thing).

But don't let me turn this into a 7060 bash thread..it's a great light and I can see why a lot of people like it..it's bright as hell and could probably withstand a fall from the rim of the grand canyon!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, of course this is purely my opinion and speculation, but I think the T4 will do everything that the 7060 didn't do for me.

I liked the 7060 a lot, but I didn't found the cooler spot-beam very useful, particularly up-close. It also had a lot of artifacts in the beam. I was also slightly turned off by how light-weight the 7060 is. It would not make a good impact weapon.

The 2008 Inova T4 will be heavier, and will have a more useful beam pattern from the non-smooth reflector, and I also prefer the warmer tint. Oh yeah and the charger from Inova is probably 100 times better than the cheap attempt that came with the 7060(or whoever in China made that thing).

But don't let me turn this into a 7060 bash thread..it's a great light and I can see why a lot of people like it..it's bright as hell and could probably withstand a fall from the rim of the grand canyon!

The 7060 is a great light. I'm sure the T4 will be as well. I bet that the markets for the 7060 and T4 are nearly 100% interchangeable, meaning that someone who likes one will probably like the other.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would not make a good impact weapon.

In all fairness, the 7060 was designed to replace an impact weapon (Mag) used by the LAPD. One of the design requirements was that the light couldn't easily be used as a weapon. I've only handled the 7060 once, and it's a hell of a light, and Inova is doing well if the T4 is competition for it. When spring break rolls around, it'll likely be the T4 I recommend to my brother to replace his MagCharger.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
In all fairness, the 7060 was designed to replace an impact weapon (Mag) used by the LAPD. One of the design requirements was that the light couldn't easily be used as a weapon. I've only handled the 7060 once, and it's a hell of a light, and Inova is doing well if the T4 is competition for it. When spring break rolls around, it'll likely be the T4 I recommend to my brother to replace his MagCharger.

lol LAPD..Rodney King? I know what you're saying..I guess they beat the hell out of too many people with their flashlights. The T4 will probably be a good replacement for the MagCharger..nowhere near as bright..but probably good.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had bought the Inova T1 back in January and it was in the 2007 type packaging indicating 85 lumens. When I measured it at work into the Integration Sphere it actually measured 100 lumens real output. I was surprised then but now I know why. It was the newest light that they just didn't have the new box for. Very sturdy

I have the much older T5 with the Tiros lens and was disappointed back when I originally bought it that it was only 50 lumens real output, again as measured into the Integration Sphere at work. I had gotten the 07 replacement version which measured 100 lumens. By reading there website they are now posting that the lumens readings are typical measured outputs, not emitter ratings at full max power in and no optics or reflector in front. So I expect that all of their new lights will be at or very close to what they advertise.

I have dropped all of my Inova's on a concrete floor several times (mostly on purpose) to demonstrate to friends how rugged they are. They have great grip due to the deep knurling. I am a big fan of the mid position button on the T5 and T4 series as it is much easier to operate while holding it underneath a pistol to keep the beam centered with the barrel and support both flashlight and gun together with both hands.

I have the Fenix T1. It has measured as high as 230 lumens with rechargeable batteries into the IS. My worst case reading on high power with Surefire primaries was 225 lumens. On low mode it meausred 52 lumens. This is a very powerful light. I like it a lot, but it is slippery. The knurling is not deep and the original belt clip made it hard to quickly grab and hang on to. I cut the belt clip off and put rubber around the mid body to help give it better grip. Much better, but still can't use the over/under two hand hold with the mighty Glock above and the flashlight below. It requires the cross cross grip of back to back hands for light and gun if I want to be able to do quick on and off's with the lights rear mounted tactical button. Since the light is so ridiculously powerful it doesn't really matter if the center of the beam is on target, it just doesn't help me to grip the pistol for steady rapid fire.

So I will always have an Inova T5 in my stable. I let my friends borrow the older model for low light shooting drill training.

I have not had any problems functionally with any of these lights. I am personally interested in getting yet another newer T5 and the T3 just because I can.;)

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a test to see if I can post photos. If this is work, this is my Glock/T5 combo two hand grip.

If it doesn't work than its something else?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20634664@N02/2300208707/

well the link is posted. Does flickr not allow automatic photo connection to photos on my site? They are in a public folder.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep, certainly looks like a smart move by Inova.

Hope this keeps up !

:twothumbs
_

Xak

Enlightened
I am dying to see beam shot comparisons of the Inova T3 and the Insight Typhoon 2. Plan on getting one or the other in a month or 2.

pilou

Enlightened
With the exception of the 2007 T2, I think published run times for T-series Inovas
have been accurate. Their construction has also always been of very high quality. But as everyone has said, their lumens ratings were nearly meaningless since they were just emitter ratings (not even actual emitter output, let alone torch output).

Having both TIROS and 2007 T1s, I can tell you that the 2007 is a leap forward compared to the old TIROS. Very bright, floody, and smooth beam with no artifacts. Being a large scale manufacturer, they lost with the K2 even before the race started. I guess they got stuck and got burned by having "just a K2." But I think people judged them too harshly, since the K2 was still somewhere in the middle between the old Luxeons and the new Crees, but without the artifacts of the Cree. But unlike Maglight, it seems like they stayed on top of thing and quickly updated again their 2008 lights to the new K2 with TFFC, which is I think in the neighborhood of Q2-Q4 Crees.

The new 2008 T-series Inovas nearly have it all.

pilou

Enlightened
I have dropped all of my Inova's on a concrete floor several times (mostly on purpose) to demonstrate to friends how rugged they are.
I have dropped onto concrete my TIROS T1 from heights of 6-7 feet, with no consequences.

boet

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I have the previous generation K2 T1 and T2.
I want to purchase the new generation 2008 K2 T1 and T2.

How does one tell the difference between the two generations when in the shop? Packaging? Description on the packaging?
From pictures I have seen on this site, the old and new model T1 seem to "look" the same.
My local store is slow in updating product / slow turnover, so want to be sure of what I am getting.
Please advise.
Thanks.

Boet

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the new 2008 T1 after reading a great review in the reviews section. I hope Inova hits the mark with all their new lights. I would also look forward to the new leds making it into their Bolt series. As to the T4 being better than the 7060, we will have to see.

Its nice to at least have the hope for once that an Inova light could come close or equeal their advertized specs... Unlike the T4 and T5 trios lights I bought and the 2007 T3...all lack luster performers IMHO.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the new 2008 T1 after reading a great review in the reviews section. I hope Inova hits the mark with all their new lights. I would also look forward to the new leds making it into their Bolt series. As to the T4 being better than the 7060, we will have to see.

Its nice to at least have the hope for once that an Inova light could come close or equeal their advertized specs... Unlike the T4 and T5 trios lights I bought and the 2007 T3...all lack luster performers IMHO.

Although I liked the TIROS lights they were not exceptionally bright.I don't have a 2007 T3 but I was able to examine a friend's and I was not impressed compared to my 2007 T1.If you are looking for warm tint you should be pretty pleased with the 2008 T1. :grin2: