G2ZL Aesthetics?

dougie

Enlightened
I have both the G2L, 6PL and have now made a G2ZL from an existing G2Z. However, I recently decided that I'd belt carry the G2ZL in a V70 simply because the aesthetics of the G2L are so poor.

Whilst I know some will thank that's a pretty lame excuse for dumping the G2L as a belt carried light I personally take pride in my Surefires and the G2L is IMHO one of worst looking Surefires?

'If' the aluminum bezel had been finished in a matt black HA finish then it would not really have been such an issue but the shiney type 11 black bezel on the Nitrolon body really is awful.

Surefire obviously care about what these lights look like as they have ensured the bezel on the yellow G2L's is finished in an appropriate colour for the body? However, on the G2L and G2Z the bezel is only offered in shiney black type 11.

Now whilst I could have stripped and re-anodized the bezel or painted one in matt black I figure that the G2ZL is reasonably passable to look at compared to the G2L.

Am I being too fussy or does anyone else feel like I do?:eek:

Doug

bagman

Enlightened
You are being fussy Doug :D

I agree that the G2Z is a much better looking light than the G2

pbs357

Enlightened
I agree with you (currently use a G2Z with a 6p bezel because it holds a Q5 drop in). It definitely loses its sleek appearance. But, for a big company like Surefire to manufacture a different finish on the same body would require a big change to their process, so I'm doubting they'll do it. I'd say the best bet is to strip and/or spray with some matte black finish, maybe like a protective coating of some sort.

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
Whilst I agree that the chances of Surefire doing 6P bezels in black HA finish are unlikely I am not so sure how hard it would be for them to do a run of matt black painted bezels? After all they have already started producing yellow painted bezels for the yellow G2L.

I seriously doubt that it is that difficult to change from a yellow to a black powder coat for a small production run? Al has already confirmed that Surefire took some time to come up with a satisfactory yellow powder paint for the yellow G2L bezels. As I seriously doubt that yellow G2L's outsell black versions of the G2L or G2ZL's it seems strange that they didn't take a similar approach with the black aluminum bezels?

I have no idea if Surefire had a specific customer who required yellow G2L's in bulk? However that might explain why they decided to invest time and energy in coming up with a suitable solution for the yellow G2L's first?
Makes me wonder if the OD green and tan versions of these lights may also end up with painted bezels?

Doug

USM0083

Enlightened
I've been carrying a G2Z in a V70 for about three years, but I have the bezel from my old 6Z on it, simply because the nitrolon bezel does not come out the the V70 smoothly. It's a working light and the bezel is pretty scuffed up.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've been carrying a G2Z in a V70 for about three years, but I have the bezel from my old 6Z on it, simply because the nitrolon bezel does not come out the the V70 smoothly. It's a working light and the bezel is pretty scuffed up.

Much as I dislike bezel up carry, the V70 works better that way for me and it has a shorter profile, also it is very secure seated that deep. I am going to carrry my G2Z with Malkoff P60 that way.

Bill

jufam44

Enlightened
You're not being too picky, a company like surefire (at least, you'd think) would be able to match the heads and bodies with colors. Alas, tis not so. I've carried a G2 Incan in a v70 for a bit now, and it's worked great for me. I'm not so concerned with asthetics as with function of my lights (My U2 fell 30 feet straight down onto cement and got all dinged up, but it still works and that's what counts.)

dougie

Enlightened
Well I gotta agree about functionality first aesthetics second. However, to my mind,it doesn't seem very clever selling point for your products if the components appear so mismatched in colour?

Just my tuppence worth!

Doug

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well I gotta agree about functionality first aesthetics second. However, to my mind,it doesn't seem very clever selling point for your products if the components appear so mismatched in colour?

Just my tuppence worth!

Doug

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the mis-matching with the black G2L's. Enough discussion for us to make good decisions about buying the black G2L's, or not. Complain via phone to Surefire, they may fix it down the road. They are already offering yellow bezels for the yellow G2's sold with the black Al bezel, when they are available.

Bill

roymail

Enlightened
You could get a G&P bezel and spray it flat black (primer first). Flat black would probably match your G2 body better. Don't barf... it's just something to try and wouldn't cost much. :ironic: