The aesthetics of our favorite lights

HesNot

Enlightened
Since the demise of Arc I've been thinking about adding some other lights to the stable and have been dismayed at the aesthetic qualities of many lights on the market. For instance, and L4 with the two stage tailcap seems like a pretty sweet combination - so I went to the Surefire website to examine the differences between the L1, L2, L4, L5 and L6. All operating issues aside, while I've never been exactly psyched about the aggressive knurling and "let's take a bunch of different parts and stick them together" design philosophy (the E2e is about the cleanest light they've made I think) it seems like they've really gone overboard with the L5 and L6 lights. Unfortunately that same strategy seems to be duplicated in the Nuwai lights and a lot of others.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and perhaps there's a functional reason for Surefires approach, but I sure do miss the "less is more" approach of the Arc products (regardless of who designed them...).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you are looking for KISS aesthetics first and the actual performance (runtime, brightness, etc.) is second, I have some suggestions that are all very sleek in design and totally different in what they do:

Blackbird_13.jpg

Jets22 Blackbird

aleph22.jpg

Aleph2

FF_Mk_II.jpg

FireFly II

VIP_3.jpg

VIP

Opalec2.jpg

Exe Head on Aleph body with Z57

peakdisco.jpg

Peak

... and not to forget the Lionheart (do not have one, so no pic)

So ... yes, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, and frankly, I am a bit surprised that you cannot find anything you like in nowadays offerings that are, IMHO, outstanding and better than ever.

bernhard

gorlank

Enlightened
Don't know much about the lights but they are visually striking pieces. Yow!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might look into the INOVA X5T-HA.

They are simple GREAT LOOKING lights. These were a special contract run of the INOVA X5T -- with a few changes. Obviously the light in HA-III. Unlike the other X5Ts this one is the thicker MIL spec HA-III in NATURAL This durable finish is like that of the ARCs only slightly 'satin'.

They were also manufactured 'sterile' -- with no identifing markings stamped or ingraved into the light.

The stainless steel press-ring on the switch and the stainless steel bezel have both been replaced with much more subdued, non-reflective parts.

All X5Ts have a great floody beam and many use them to drain the last out of their 123s when they start to dim in other lights.

If you like the HA-III NATURAL on the ARCs you really need to see one of these. Country Comm had some pics of it on their site until they went out of stock but the light looked MUCH BETTER than the pics.

Here are the subjects of a few threads...
Type III-HA Inova X5T From County Comm
X5T-HA (Inova) CountyComm
Inova X5T HA color question...

Country Comm and http://www.broadarrow.net/lights.htm are no longer selling it, but you should be able to find one on B/S/T.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
I think the proper geek response is:

"What do I care what it looks like?"

Christopher Walken (as Dr. Michael Brace) to Natalie Wood (as Karen Brace) "Brainstorm", 1983

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
My A2, E2e, and infinity ultra look damned sexy, but I'm also a simple guy that values function to be as important as form if not more. A flashlight is a tool, and tools should be anodized and have knurling on them.

But you are also talking to a guy that's looking for a 80's Chevy Silverado, and love the form factor of maglites, so my sense of asthetics might vary a bit from yours.

But hey, it's just personal preference.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC-AAA, ARC-AA, Anything Larry Black makes, Alph, L4, C3. Looks are not everything but I sure like the looks of these lights. These are also good lights as well.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of sexy-looking lights out there... Many of the smaller builders no doubt make lights of excellent quality and great machining... And nice finishing. But in all honesty, I don't like heads that are larger in diameter than the bodies. I understand a lot about optics and reflectors, for for sheer visual appeal, I like a straight tube. The Inova X0 is a very nice looking piece for the money as is the X5 to a lesser extent.

Little lights really seem to get my interest... I think the Peaks looks very nice, esp the 1x123 7 LED model.

In all honestly though, I usually recommend plastic Princeton Tecs or Streamlights, esp for folks wanting to stick with AA or AAA battery-powered lights. For folks wanting either C or 123-powered lights, the TwinTasks get my recommendation.

I guess I'd rather the light look nice than ugly, but for $25, ugly but functional beats pretty and questionable.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
edc bkup.JPG

[/ QUOTE ]
What's that precious-looking one to the far right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif Looks like the FireFly's cute cousin.

The Arc AAA sure is cute too! The Pila GL3 I had the chance to play with a while ago is a beautiful (and rugged, without falling into the SF-extreme) light too. The X5T-HA is an elegant light (delicate but rock-hard finish). Call me crazy but Mag's beauty is in their simplicity.