Advice needed on LED for 6 cell mag

mark33

Newly Enlightened
Hello

I am going on a 4 week rally across the Sahara desert and need a few good lights for the trip. I've got my edc (Gladius) sorted with rechargable cr123s.

I'm also taking my old 6 cell mag light as we may run into trouble along the way and it doubles up as a baton. My question is what's the best/brightest/longest running LED conversion options available to me.

Thanks

Mark

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the drop in that Mag came out with.....its bright and the batteries seem to last forever.....

AvidHiker

Enlightened
I'd say the best and brightest for a 6D maglite would be the Malkoff Quad, unfortunately its nearly impossible to get as he only seems to make a few each month and they sell instantly - get on the mailing list and you may luck out.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15&products_id=24

Apparently, despite the substantial output, thanks to efficient drivers the runtime can be impressively long - especially loaded with 10,000mAh NiMH D cells. 4 Cree Q5s maxed out, properly heatsinked and extremely solid construction - it doesn't get much better than this (however, it's not upgradable as the emitters are set in epoxy). I've just recently acquired one and will be testing the runtime in this configuration when I get some time.

See this thread for other options:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190314

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that the MagLED drop-in gives the longest battery life. Not the brightest though.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest or longest running, you can't have both. Deicde what's more important and the suggestions will be better suited to your needs.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
Indeed, "best" is a very subjective term.

Considering what it would appear you are looking for, I figured the "best" would be something with serious output (ie, sufficient to match the intimidation factor of a 6D mag by taking advantage of all that battery power) while maintiaining a reasonable runtime. With that in mind, I felt a multi-emitter drop-in would be most appropriate. Plus, you already have a great quality, compact single emitter light on hand.

The advantage of a single emitter drop-in would of course be that you maintain the focusability of the light. Runtime will be ridiculous running off 6 cells. So, maybe the question becomes: how much runtime do you need, and will you miss having a focusable beam?

mark33

Newly Enlightened
Indeed, "best" is a very subjective term.

Considering what it would appear you are looking for, I figured the "best" would be something with serious output (ie, sufficient to match the intimidation factor of a 6D mag by taking advantage of all that battery power) while maintiaining a reasonable runtime. With that in mind, I felt a multi-emitter drop-in would be most appropriate. Plus, you already have a great quality, compact single emitter light on hand.

The advantage of a single emitter drop-in would of course be that you maintain the focusability of the light. Runtime will be ridiculous running off 6 cells. So, maybe the question becomes: how much runtime do you need, and will you miss having a focusable beam?

Um I see what you mean. I think run time is going to very important as I don't believe I can easily source battery replacements out in the Sahara. On the other hand real long throw is better for me than flood as I would like to be able to spot something before its too close. So if I have to lose focus then its not to much of an issue.

Thanks for everybodys suggestions.

Mark

mark33

Newly Enlightened
I'd say the best and brightest for a 6D maglite would be the Malkoff Quad, unfortunately its nearly impossible to get as he only seems to make a few each month and they sell instantly - get on the mailing list and you may luck out.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_15&products_id=24

Apparently, despite the substantial output, thanks to efficient drivers the runtime can be impressively long - especially loaded with 10,000mAh NiMH D cells. 4 Cree Q5s maxed out, properly heatsinked and extremely solid construction - it doesn't get much better than this (however, it's not upgradable as the emitters are set in epoxy). I've just recently acquired one and will be testing the runtime in this configuration when I get some time.

See this thread for other options:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/190314

WOW! Now that's what i'm talking about - I think that's answered my question in a nutshell! So you say you have just brought one - you must be very pleased. What do you think of its durability, ie, would it last if the light was banged around a lot?

Thanks

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, will you be with your vehicle all the time? Would you really need a portable BRIGHT light while you can have one of those 12V plug in spot type lights in the vehicle?

Think about a headlamp.

Don't be insulted by the question but, does the RCR123 charger work with 12V?

mark33

Newly Enlightened
Mark, will you be with your vehicle all the time? Would you really need a portable BRIGHT light while you can have one of those 12V plug in spot type lights in the vehicle?

Think about a headlamp.

Don't be insulted by the question but, does the RCR123 charger work with 12V?

Hi eebowler

Hey no worries about insults - got used to them after a decade in the Navy LOL!

We have a 2000w 240v inverter running from the Jeeps 12v supply which will charge up my RCR123s and boil up a nice cup of tea too....

Got a 1w LED Ring head lamp running on 3 AA rechargables and have 2 Princeton tec head lamps (3 unknown LEDS) as back ups.

The Jeep also has 4 60w movable spots on each corner for normal use. I guess I just want something as security/high power light if we have to abandon the vehicle and move on by foot etc (as some of the areas we will be going through are not quite friendly).

I do like the Malkoff drop in - that is very smart!

See you later

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest or longest running, you can't have both. Deicde what's more important and the suggestions will be better suited to your needs.

indded very hard choice to make.....if you are going for super runtime check the Terralux TLE-1F. it draws .5A at 2 D, and 0.17A at 4D. at 6D it will be lower....that effectively means some days worth of constant on.

The Magled seems like a good compromise as well as the TLE-5EX

have a giid trip...Kostas

KVegasPhlash

Newly Enlightened
Mark33,

I just got a Terralux TLE-300 (from Battery Junction) and put it into a 4-D Mag. It's listed as working with 4-, 5-, or 6-D Mags, and advertised at 500+ lumens. Haven't worked with it much yet, but the build quality looks very good.

Beam pattern is strange, at least in my limited experience. Sort of a irregular boxy pattern rather than a smooth circle. Not bad so far, just different.

It is very bright, noticeably brighter than my G2 with Q5 drop-in, and seems to have decent throw with good spill. Haven't done any runtime tests, so can't help there.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
Hello Mark,

Yes, I was really lucky (and happy) to have grabbed a Malkoff Quad the moment they went on sale last week (just happened to have my email open at the time). No doubt some may consider the quad drop-in a bit overpriced, but my understanding is that Gene hand builds them and spares no expense in doing so. Apparently he only uses top quality components/materials and rigorously tests everything he sells prior to shipping. I read somewhere in another thread (can't seem to find it) that the Quad uses rather expensive Fraen faceted reflectors, specifically designed for the Cree Q5 LED. Then, each LED is powered by its own dedicated driver for redundancy (ie, one fails and you've still got three left). The fully assembled dropin is backfilled with a high temperature, aerospace grade epoxy (again, not cheap stuff). This construction, I presume, was chosen by Gene for maximum durability, and I can't see how he could have done any better. IMO, this thing is built to LAST, and once mounted in your mag, should take any abuse you can throw at it. I really can't speak to the durability of other multi-emitter designs out there, but I've never seen anything built nearly as tough as this. I also purchased some 10,000mAh, low self discharge NiMH D cells to ensure that the drop-in gets all the current it needs to run at full power.

Needless to say, it puts out an impressive beam - essentially a "wall of light", but with suprising throw as well. It easily beats out my best thrower, a Seoul-modded Striker VG (comparable to a modded Gladius I think), and illuminates the surrounding area far better. There is a substantial hotspot surrounded by a relatively minor darkish ring before blending into spill (not really noticable in normal use) - really a far nicer beam quality than I expected from a quad design (which I suppose means the reflectors are precisely aligned). I plan to post some comparison beamshots within the next week or so since nobody seems to have done that yet.

Now, on the subject of runtime. Gene says his quad will run off of 6D alkaline cells for 90 minutes before the batteries essentially "give up" (even in a 6 cell arrangement, this thing draws more current than an alkaline is designed to supply). If you were to rest the batteries every hour or so, he says you should get a good 4 hours of regulated (maximum power) runtime on 6 D alkalines. Just today, I loaded my mag up with 6 NiMHs to see how they do running constantly until completely discharged and I was pretty impressed. Regulated runtime fell just short of 4 hours (around 3h50m). And, since NiMH cells can deliver far higher currents than alkalines, there was no need to "rest" the batteries - it ran straight through for the entire ~4 hours. The only issue becomes the temperature of the head, a toasty 148 degrees F for most of that 4 hours. Hot to the touch, but not dangerously so I would say. In fact, that is how I determined the regulated runtime: I mounted a thermocouple on the head, connected to a datalogger in our lab, and let her go. Making the assumption that once the temperature begins to drop, the light is no longer in regulation, I came up with the 3h50m figure.

Here is the graph in case you're interested:

MQuad.jpg

Enjoy your trip!

grizz660

Newly Enlightened
I 2nd the TLE-300, just picked one up from Zbattery.com, $79.84 shipped (US) for my 6D mag. All I can say is WOW!, this one is bright, at least compared to my Pelican 7060 which is my only comparison as far as LED flashlights go.

mark33

Newly Enlightened
Hi AvidHiker

Your not in sales are you - that post has totally convinced me to go for the Malkoff - excellent review thanks.

I have signed up on the email service from Malkoff and if i'm lucky will eventually buy one.

As other guys have kindly informed me though there are other options should time start to run short before the trip.

Thanks everybody - great advice and excellent site.

Mark