DX: Aurora WF-800 or Romisen RC-T5 ?

Adirondack47

Newly Enlightened
Hi all-

Brand new member but ive been lurking for quite a bit, so I guess this will be my intorduction. Ive used DX a few times in the last year and have had great experiences and have usually gotten my stuff in less than 2 weeks.

Im planning on sticking with CR123A operated lights as I bought a charger and a bunch of the Ultrafire 880mAh 3.6v Li-ion when I upgrade my SF G2 with the Cree Q4 bulb last fall.

I see that the Q5 bulbs are out now and Im going to order a few of them for my G2 and Weaponlight forearm that resides on my Remington 870. The Q4 has been stellar, but being a gear junky I have to have the newest upgrade available. These are just regular old drop-in mods correct, plug and play if you will?
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11074

Anyhow, while poking around DX, I found the WF-800 and the Romisen RC-T5 lights. Ive been reading both of the open threads on these lights here @ CPF. It seems as though both platforms have had their issues but recent QC seems to be improving.

I just want a light that is ridiculously bright for no specific reason at all utilizing CR123A's, with a price point under $50-$75. Im not concerned with runtime, just a light that will make the guys around the campfire jealous when I flip it on. It wont be a light that ill keep on for 10 minutes at a time, Mostly just a flip on for a minute to search for deer or coyotes in the woodline surrounding our camp and throw it back in my pocket.

What do you guys think? Any input is greatly appreciated, Thanks guys...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The best throwing LED light is the Dereelight DBS, but that is out of you price range.

The RC-T5 would have more output but the Aurora would have more throw.

Out of DX's selection, I'd suggest the Aurora WF-600. Smaller and similar performance to the Aurora WF-800.

For $50-75, maybe something from a better known company would work.

:welcome:

Adirondack47

Newly Enlightened
The best throwing LED light is the Dereelight DBS, but that is out of you price range.

The RC-T5 would have more output but the Aurora would have more throw.

Out of DX's selection, I'd suggest the Aurora WF-600. Smaller and similar performance to the Aurora WF-800.

For $50-75, maybe something from a better known company would work.

:welcome:

Really? Is the WF-600 a compromise in performance for the sake of a few inches from the WF-800? Or do they perform pretty closely?

As with runtime, size isnt an issue to me either. I actually kind of want a light which is a little bit longer. All of my flshlights are "short" by comparison. I have a Suefire G2, M3CB and a 2D Cell maglite that I run the terralux LED upgrade in. I think a "longer" torch would break up the monotony in my little collection :sssh:

The only reason that im asking this question exclusively of products on DX is that I am going to order the Q5 bulbs and figure Ill throw in one of the lights I asked about for shits & giggles if for nothing else.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The 800 would be a bit brighter and runs longer then the 600. The 600 might be more impressive though because it is smaller(but you have a G2 for that).

If you really want performance at the expense of the LED, buy the WF-600 and remove the driver. Direct drive the LED with 6v of power(don't forget thermal paste so the LED doesn't immediately overheat).

Adirondack47

Newly Enlightened
The 800 would be a bit brighter and runs longer then the 600. The 600 might be more impressive though because it is smaller(but you have a G2 for that).

If you really want performance at the expense of the LED, buy the WF-600 and remove the driver. Direct drive the LED with 6v of power(don't forget thermal paste so the LED doesn't immediately overheat).[/quote]

What kind of working or practical lumens would I be looking at with the stock WF-800 using 4x CR123A 3.6V Li-Ion's?

As for the modding, ill leave that to the pros for now. I dont have much experience in that department and would probably end up screwing it up.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That one would be harder to guess. Judging from the beamshots, I'd say 350-450 lumen with a throw of about 100 meter max useful range.

Adirondack47

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone comment on the bulb that I listed in my original post with the batteries that I am running. I should be able to just drop the bulb into my Surefire G2 and go correct?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Looking at the voltage range(3.7v-4.2v), you would have to use 1 Li-ion battery. A 17670 should work.