Took advice-damn happy!

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
When I first joined here I had no idea what I really wanted, I just knew that my old AA mini mag was a bit behind the times, well i git lots of advice, and in the end i followed it, got a 120P, got a nano charger, an orb some surefire primaries and a AW rechargable, all good stuff.

Well I got the charger, charged up the batt, did the battery detect thingy, then, since I now had guilt free lumens (oh the joy!!) played around with my settings until I found a good combo for me.

Fist click is now 0.12 lumen, double click is 10 lumen, 3 click is strobe and click press is 120 lumen, and I have activated the auto off after 5 mins of inactivity ( beacuse I fall asleep reading too often!).

Well I got up very early and took the dogs for a walk in the reserve at the back of the house this morning, stiil pitch black.
The 0.12 was perfect for getting up, not waking the wife, seeing just in front of me for a couple of metres and not killing my night vision totally.

There was a hint of a moon so out of the trees I could just navigate without light, but the terain was tricky so a bit of light helped.

Under tress, or in the swampy areas I flicked it up to 10 lumen, this was probably overkill, but it certainly was bright. I may get rid of the strobe and choose another low, say 1 or 2 lumens. Anyway with 10 I could see as far as the path would allow, a good 10-15 metres or so, very bright white light-bit hard on the night vision but what they hey.

Then I came to a high bit with a vantage and click pressed to 120. Wow, there went the night vision but boy does this thing shine!
Massive flood, very good flow and very useable light.

Well I just gotta say thanks for the help guys and gals, and I will keep browsing...now I just gotta work out what to do with an old AA minimag and a 4D mag light...

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent first choices. Now that you have your EDC light covered, you can play around with those Mags. Check the homemade and modified forum.

pbs357

Enlightened
Wow! You went from a Minimag to a Novatac 120P? Well done! Novatac is regarded as literally one of the best. And rechargeables, i.e. guilt free lumens is definitely the way to go. See, I justify my light and accessory purchases by saying to myself, "hey, I haven't bought a cr123 primary in 3 years... so in all those savings I've GOT to have a little $$$ to spend, right?"

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was a great first choice.

Now get a malkoffdevices for the maglite and swap the Minimag for a Fenix L2D-CE Q5/Rebel 100(or drop-in a longer running LED module like this one for the Minimag).

I'm glad you like your light.
+1 Excellent suggestions Gunner12! Congratulations on the new light (good choice) and rechargeable setup iTorch. You just can't beat those guilt-free lumens. Enjoy!!!

jufam44

Enlightened
Take a Mag 623 out on a walk in the morning and see where your night vision goes :)

mspeterson

Enlightened
Wow! You're a savvy buyer!!! Congrats on the cool light!:twothumbs

Big jump to make but you most likely saved yourself a mint on "cheap" lights!
+1 on the Malkoff!

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Or you could do a Mag85 mod on your 4Dmag.

If I remember the links I gave you properly I believe I recommended a Orb single battery case or did you get an Orb light?

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Orb battery case - keeps my spare nice and clean, no worries about pocket lint or any other muck to get in the way if and when I need another batt...reassurance is a wonderful thing, one less thing to worry about in the day.