Malkoff M60, M60L and M60LL - not very good beamshots added

Wicho

Enlightened
Well, I now have all three of them and think I have settled on how I'm going to set everything up.

M60, High output will be in a 6Z
M60L will be in a black G2 with nitrolon head
M60LL will be in a yellow G2 with nitrolon head.

I figure this will give me a logical organization - high output for the gun light, low output in the black G2 for everyday use, and low low output in the yellow light for emergency use. Who am I kidding, though - with all the spares I keep around, I just might use the yellow one all the time.

I've read other members' comments about the lack of reviews of the Malkoff M60 L and LL, so here it goes:

The L version is just great for a brighter all around light. I would not hesitate to use it in place of a P61. It will be nice to compare it to the P61L once it is released.

The LL is I think going to become my new all around favorite - great tint. I like things on the warmer side, although the one I received is not as warm as other Malkoff's I've seen, I like it lots. It's as bright (maybe just a bit brighter) than a P60L, and to me has a more useful beam pattern because it has more side spill. With semi-dark adapted eyes, the LL is bright, so it is not a good candidate for those midnight bathroom runs (but then again, we all know we only need 2 lumens for that).

Beamshots - yes, I know - you demand beamshots. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my camera to take pictures that closely resemble what I am seeing.

I'll update this again later today.

Last edited:

tetra-ice

Newly Enlightened
Re: Malkoff M60, M60L and M60LL

Good comments Wicho - thanks. Did you find any tint difference between the M60, the L, and the LL versions??

--TI

Wicho

Enlightened

I did notice tint variations. The L seems to be the warmest of the three, but I think it's just the lottery at play since I have seen high output ones just as warm as the L I have.

MorePower

Enlightened

Any plans (or ability) to do a runtime on any of these? I've wondered how long they stay in regulation but haven't been able to find a review with that info. Possibly my search-fu is lacking...

Wicho

Enlightened

The only ability to do a runtime test I have is to turn them on, stick them under my desk and check on them throughout the day. Not very scientific, but I can sacrifice a few 123's to the runtime gods.

DM51

Flashaholic

This could be the basis for a very useful review - could use extra info such as runtimes, beamshots, etc.

Have you also seen this thread, where there is discussion of the heat issues?

tetra-ice

Newly Enlightened

Beamshots and output/runtime graph comparisons would be great, as trying to obtain all three of these drop-ins is tough work in itself!!

I'm sure there are scientific methods to testing these things -- any links out there for the best way??

Of course the problem that I am reading about lately is there are different tints on just the M60 alone, so that may affect the output as well. Wonder why the difference?? Just a new batch of LEDs or has the manufacturing process changed recently??

--TI

Wicho

Enlightened

Okay, here are some preliminary beamshots. I know, they're pretty lame - I'll pull out the tripod after my son goes to bed and try again. These were just handheld.

First picture is the M60LL, followed by the M60L and the last pic is the M60 High output. Distance from the light to the palm is about 25 feet.

img2848sw0.jpg

img2847we6.jpg

img2846ri0.jpg

tetra-ice

Newly Enlightened
Oh that's just swell...now you got me wanting all THREE of them!! :laughing:

The first shot looks to be able to do the job just fine at 25 feet (M60LL). If you could get longer range shots, then we may be able to see the differences in throw. :D

Right now, the L and HO seem to overpower the palm tree... Also interesting is the fact that spill on the LL and L look about the same, but not for the HO?? Could just be the surrounding light though...

Thanks for the shots!

--TI

Wicho

Enlightened
The sidespill is about the same on all of them, just different brightness levels. There is a streetlight near the far right of my back yard, so it's not the best place for beamshots.

I'll do some long range beamshots tonight. I'm going out mountain biking with some friends at 10pm for a few hours through dark hills, so it will be the perfect place for this when we stop for the mid-ride beer.

One of the guys I ride with is a budding flashaholic, and the others' interest in flashlights has been recently sparked since they have been seeing some of my lights. :devil:

const451

Newly Enlightened
Wicho - thanks a lot for the comparison!! I've been waiting for it. I've been thinking about M60LL but if it is as bright as P60 then it is too bright for all around light.

Is runtime really 8 hours of M60LL as Gene's website says, could you verify that, if you are willing to spend batteries and time, of course.

Thanks!

tetra-ice

Newly Enlightened
Bump for new photos, Wicho! (That is, unless the mid-ride beer sent you off course...)

:grin2:

--TI

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:goodjob: Thanks Wicho for the pics and the info regarding Malkoffs... :twothumbs

I've been looking at the drop-ins for my old 2C m@g and I just read in another thread that they work in the CL1H - is this true? I just wish they were available but I'll be checking the site periodically.

Btw, any additional info about runtimes and also additional beam shots would be greatly appreciated!

tetra-ice

Newly Enlightened
Bump up for Wicho's update! Could be a very good comparison... I just received my first M60 yesterday and was EXTREMELY happy with the output. Although on the "greener" side of warm, it's much better than my SF 6PL stock LED... I have another M60 and M60L on the way, so hopefully I can compare the two soon...

--TI