Malkoff Opinions

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm aware.
The last build I did with 6V was quite a while ago with a high CRI XHP50.

It's like a mini Wild cat.
IMG_5520.jpeg

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
sst-20 lights to the 4000k 95cri one
One of my favorite and most used, in many of my current applications.
So they're not dead yet
They never will be as far as I'm concerned. I don't view things that way.

I do have a 519A en route though, so that's TBD. It won't 'replace' any of my SST-20s though, regardless of what it looks like. It can only supplement them. I'm just curious.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you aznsx, I still love the 119 McGizmo uses and a few flavours of XPE2 and XPG2 that I'd happily build into a light today.
There's quite a few older LEDs that I happily use and even prefer over some new LEDs.
Not that there isn't current LEDs that I don't love and regularly use.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes....G2x is 600 lumen. The m61 SHO is supposed to be 750.
SureFire is known for testing their lights differently than most other brands. 600 lumens rating just means you are getting a minimum of 600 from a G2x. Oftentimes, you're getting more. It's not likely you have one pumping out 750 lumens. But it's not something outside the realm of possibility.

Chris_Himself

Newly Enlightened
Beam quality, and practical output is what you get from a Malkoff.

the 6p medium sized stuff worked fine but the output has always been awful for the money. The m61 drop in gives you a ton of quality output, durability since it was the only fully potted (electronics soldered directly onto a copper pill) and sprung dropin with an orange peel reflector that gave you the smoothest milkiest beam.

The C series heads are PHENOMENAL though since the stock TIR beams are really harsh to look at and rather impractical for daily use.

If you want to skip all the specs altogether just buy a complete MDC 18650 and be done with it.

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I absolutely love the Malkoff M61 drop-in that I bought on the CPF Marketplace over a decade ago. It's the 320-ish lumen model.

I have it in a Surefire C2 Body/9P Bezel/6P clickie tailcap combo that I also cobbled together from both the Marketplace and Ebay back then. For what now seems like an insanely low price.

I use that light nearly every day. It has NEVER failed me. It sits here on my computer desk, where it is readily accessible as I head out the door to check on things that go bump in the night.

I absolutely love this thing! In fact, I love it so much, that I bought my second Malkoff with the Christmas Cash that I received this year. This time I was able to snag a MDC AA (4K neutral white) from Gene's website. It's currently in the back of a USPS Truck windin' its way up here from Alabama.

And I can't wait until it arrives.. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I absolutely love the Malkoff M61 drop-in that I bought on the CPF Marketplace over a decade ago. It's the 320-ish lumen model.

I have it in a Surefire C2 Body/9P Bezel/6P clickie tailcap combo that I also cobbled together from both the Marketplace and Ebay back then. For what now seems like an insanely low price.

I use that light nearly every day. It has NEVER failed me. It sits here on my computer desk, where it is readily accessible as I head out the door to check on things that go bump in the night.

I absolutely love this thing! In fact, I love it so much, that I bought my second Malkoff with the Christmas Cash that I received this year. This time I was able to snag a MDC AA (4K neutral white) from Gene's website. It's currently in the back of a USPS Truck windin' its way up here from Alabama.

And I can't wait until it arrives.. :)
The AA MDC is a sweet little light.

DRoc

Newly Enlightened
I've still got a few first generation M60's. They're still relevant today and just bombproof