High Rise Emergency Light

benw

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

I was in NYC on a business trip and was staying at the Mandarin Oriental New York (a client of mine). They were nice enough to upgrade me to a 42nd floor corner room overlooking the Hudson ($2,500 a night +10% NYC tax LOL).

I looked in a hallway closet where the iron and ironing board is stashed and there is a good old fashioned 2 D cell incan with a yellow body with the words, "Emergency light". I tried it and it worked!! I imagine it will suffice to get down 40+ stories in an emergency??? However, it is certainly better than nothing at all and I was actually glad to see them being responsible in this regard.

Although, my trusty L2 with an ARC AAA Premium GS as backup would have blazed the way for me in-case of a real emergency, it is nice to know that large cities are taking these things into account.

Good Night...

jufam44

Enlightened
For 2500 a night, I'd expect a 10x Dominator! :) I'm glad they're prepared in the event of an emergency. I'll have to consider them next time I'm in NY.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Their major worry would probably be people walking away with the things. Then again, for that nice a hotel they expect a less stingy customer base.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Building code makes it so they have to have emergency lighting to get people out of the building. They have to light the corridors and stairwells with 90 minutes of runtime, and if any one element fails (one lamp, one battery, one ballast) you cannot leave the occupant in total darkness.

Hopefully they are following the rules. Even if there's a generator, I would put some battery powered fixtures in, because a generator can fail.

The code doesn't require them in restrooms, and in my opinion, that is the place you really need them. Have you seen how dark it gets in a restroom when the lights go out? Completely black! If you are using the toilet and the power goes out and don't have an edc, you're having a bad day! :huh:

I really don't think that's why that light is there, it is probably there for maintenance.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to go to Japan every year for the Tokyo Auto Salon. The hotel rooms there were a hoot. Every place I stayed had a control panel that could be reached from the bed, and the panel controlled everything from the curtains, lights and TV. Next to it was a plastic 2D flashlight. To mount it, you simply stick it onto this fork thingy. The fork would wedge itself between the two D cells to shut the light off. Pull the light from the wall and it would be on. Magic!!

Some years ago my wife worked in a downtown L.A. highrise. I always thought if she had to evacuate, it would be down a long set of stairs. I put a G2 in her office "survival" kit (even though what I really wanted to put in it was one of those specialty parachutes made for escaping highrises).

tetra-ice

Newly Enlightened
I can definately relate to divine's posting. In my case, I was in the bulkhead of a cargo ship when of course I had to really go. Lucky for me there was a bathroom down there; unlucky for me the whole section lost power. Now on most modern ships you have backup lighting that always comes on. But lucky me, I was on a 1960's Swedish CARGO ship. No backup lighting in the bathrooms and completely pitch black. I did have my little AAA maglite with me back then, but of course the batteries were dead. It took me almost 30 minutes to get out of there, with many bumps and bruises. :mad: Because of that I now carry my E2e or 6PL with me EVERYTIME I need to pee!

As for those high rises, I think they should put an M6 in there especially if you are paying that kind of $$. Of course, you would completely blind EVERYONE on your way out, but you may get out faster and all the other people would be able to follow you!

--TI