Flashlight lens upgrade too thick

Charon

Newly Enlightened
I got a lens from flashlightlens.com for my AA Mag and 2D mag but the lenses are much thicker then stock poly. This creates a gap between the bezel and the head.
Is there an easy way to modify the head or bezel of the light. Or would I have to turn a whole new bezel on the lathe to make a longer one ?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which ones did you order? The ones I got are close enough in thickness to fit without any issues.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Charon, I had the same problem with a replacement lens for my 3AA minimag. I sanded the threads down on the head to compensate for the thicker lens and it looks stock now when the bezel is screwed on.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
As Jamison said, you can sand down the threads to creat more room in the bezel. Or you can use mineral glass lens which are 1mm thick. I some for sale if you need.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Charon the lens you have for your 2D is intended to be used in mods that don't used the regular reflector IE: four LEDs with individual reflectors, the thicker lens takes up the extra room left by the missing reflector flange.
Norm

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charon, I have some D UCLs from Flashlightlens that are stock thickness. If you want to trade your thicker one PM me.

Charon

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the UCL lenses. Did not realize that the UCL is nearly twice the thickness of the AR Coated.

Looks like I was not careful enough in ordering. I figured it would be best to go for 99% light transmission and did not pay attention to lens thickness.

Odd, I think I got the thinnest UCL available on flashlightlens for the 2D mag. But its still thick. Did they sell another thickness previously ?

Thanks for the help

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had a 1.9mm thick 52.1mm lens 99% transmission in stock previously. You must have gotten the 2.84mm thick 99% one for lights without a reflector.