L2D rebel 100 discontinued

mighty82

Enlightened
I just noticed fenix-store have discontinued the L2D rebel 100 due to problems with the rebel led. Is this because of the led's that died after a few hours? Are the rebels gone for good? I hope not! :(

herbicide

Newly Enlightened
IIRC, it was because Lumileds couldn't deliver the high output LEDs in the quantity Fenix wanted.

If you search, there'll be a few threads on this from a while back.

mighty82

Enlightened
The search function is totally useless, I just haven't paid enough attention i guess. The rebel led's are easy to get a hold of now, so i don't think that should be a problem.

TooSharp

Newly Enlightened
Snipit taken from fenix-store.
"All Lumiled's Rebels are discontinued due to continued problems with them. We did try
to resolve the problem with Lumileds but there is no resolution in sight. For those who
have rebels, don't worry - we fully support those products and will resolve any and
all problems should any be found."

jezzyp

Enlightened
I was about to buy one as well - I know that they are still onsale from others but 47s judgement has to be trusted.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a P2D Rebel 100 at lighthound.com. It has the same head on it as the L2D. Hopefully, I won't have a problem with it. I understand that if the light doesn't fail in the first 24 hours of operation, chances are you will never have a problem with it. I hope that's true.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think it had something to do with the epoxy holding the LED together. Info here.

About the performance, the Rebel 100 seems to be more efficient then the Q5 but the Q5 is slightly brighter because it takes in more power.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rebel, while nearly as bright as the Q5, usually has a warmer tint, and according to many, gives somewhat better color rendition. That's why I just ordered one.

The Rebel, while nearly as bright as the Q5, usually has a warmer tint, and according to many, gives somewhat better color rendition. That's why I just ordered one.

"color rendition" is a very difficult thing to measure. There's a mathematical formula that can calculate the exact CRI rating based on spectral power distribution, but I hear the standards for CRI is being challanged as it doesn't take into account for CCT.

The CRI rating defines all blackbody radiator as having a CRI of 100. Candle light, dimmed light bulb, photo flood light, sunlight, all have a CRI of 100.

I had a Luxeon on Mag 4D module burn out before. The output was unusually blue tinted and it was really dim and only part of the die glowed. Then after like five minutes, it stopped working.

mighty82

Enlightened
No problem with mine yet. Used it for at least 20 hours. In my eyes the rebel 100 beats the Q5 in every way. If I point it at a tree it looks almost like daylight, when in the Q5's beam it looks greyish/blueish.

With the rebel I can pick up slight differences in color much easier than with the Q5. I have this white wall with a slight yellow stain, and with the Q5 it barely shows, but with the rebel it really stands out. The Q5 makes everything near to whit appear totally white. With the rebel it only appears white if when it really is. After using the rebel for some months I can't stand the cold blueish beam of the crees.

The rebel's tint seems to be right in the middle between the crees and a well driven incan light. As perfect as it get's in my eyes. I hope they manage to fix this issue.