New DX Q5 #11074 drop in review

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the 0 to 100% drop in. I got it several days ago. Mine actually has 3 separate modes. At flashlight reviews they list 5 modes...mine has 3. It is driven to 1200ma on high. The high is definitely very bright. It is the brightest of all my drop ins...but not by a lot.
I have a Dereelight Q4 3 mode- and this beats it by a bit.

Mode one: high-medium-strobe
mode two: 0 to 100% ramping- with stops at 1/2 power and full. This mode is slow to start ramping- and very hard to get to the next mode.
Mode three: high-medium-low. My favorite. Changes quickly to the next level with a reverse clicky.

I put the drop in into a Ultrafire 502B which I ordered just for this light. It also fits my Huntlight, G2, and Dereelight fine.

If you like a potent strobe...this will knock your socks off!
The quality of the drop in is very good too. The beam is smooth, with a powerful medium size hot spot. The spill is bright as to be expected.

Since the R2 just came out- tough choice, but the 3 levels are excellent. The medium level is almost as bright as some of my other lights.

Draws around 1600 ma on high, 650 on medium, and 140 ma on low.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re: New DX Q5 #11704 drop in review

What battery (s) does this drop in use? Pulling lots of mA's on high.

Bill

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

Greenstuff...remember some wolf eyes won't take many drop ins. I have a sniper...and none of my drop ins work in it.

...uses 3.7 volt only..forget to mention that...sorry. You really don't need high that much...medium is great.

Redid the ma after charging the battery.

High- 1520ma
medium- 460ma

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened

Greenstuff...remember some wolf eyes won't take many drop ins. I have a sniper...and none of my drop ins work in it.

...uses 3.7 volt only..forget to mention that...sorry. You really don't need high that much...medium is great.

High- 1520ma
medium- 460ma

I tried to search for 11704 with no results but I found this 11074 and I think it's the one, right?

greenstuffs

Banned

I love my wolfeye, the reason i got it was because i have it running with 2x18500 and is very nice too bad they won't take all drop ins :(
Thx for the heads up

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

High- 1520ma
medium- 460ma

Looks like it has nice constant current converter. Notice how higher voltage of freshly charged battery resulted in lower input current from the battery.

- Vikas

Spypro

Enlightened
Re: New DX Q5 #11o74 drop in review

I'm still looking at DX drop-in for my G2... and this one looks great and bright but only 3.7v ? I wonder if it can work with a rechargeable 17670 ?

kavvika

Enlightened
^ Sure can, that's what it's made for.

Me, I'd stick with the new Solarforce R2 (which will require 6v), but the variable output is enticing.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Yes,

Most modules and lights cycle through modes by short off periods.

Changing modes would be a quick on-off-on cycle, so tap-hold or tap-twist with the momentary twistie.

Wattnot

Enlightened
Re: New DX Q5 #11o74 drop in review

I'm still looking at DX drop-in for my G2... and this one looks great and bright but only 3.7v ? I wonder if it can work with a rechargeable 17670 ?

I put the DX 6090 in my G2 and it's great. I haven't tried leaving it on for an extended period yet but I'm not too worried as it draws around 1/2 an amp. If that thing really draws 1.6 amps, it's going to melt the G2 in no time at all!! The drop-ins that draw around an amp are really too much for a G2. This is specifically why I sought out the 6090. Also, the G2 is a forward, momentary button with a twist on. While not impossible, it (in my opinion) would be a cumbersome setup. I mentioned this same stuff in another thread and another member said they have no problem using a multi-mode in a G2 so it is do-able, but my G2's are always around for general family use and a non-flashahoic could go nuts with a UI like that.

You would pretty much HAVE to use a 17670 with this in a light meant for 2 CR123's. If you ever mistakenly put CR123's in it, you would fry it instantly if it's limit is really 3.7 (or 4.2) volts.

This drop-in sounds perfect for the Cabelas XPG! it's metal and a reverse clicky!

phreeflow

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone also own the R2 drop-in from DX? Any comparisons with this Q5 drop? Is the R2 noticeably brighter? It's tough to decide between the two but I'm leaning toward the Q5 for the UI.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
Post 1 was an informative post. I have been able to cycle between the 3 main modes. I have not been able to make it ramp up again. Does any one feel they have a good operating procedure they can post? this is what I have so far. Please feel free to cut and paste as I did.
- To adjust brightness: power cycle (switch off then on within 1 sec.) the light.
Brightness will begin adjusting from dim to bright.
When the desired brightness is reached, turn off the light to save the brightness setting,
then turn the light back on and the module will light up at the previously selected brightness.
- To switch mode: Tap the light for no more than 2 seconds (but no less than 1 sec) and turn it back on.

Apparently you have only a 1-2 second window to change modes. For example: Less than one second= variable adjustment, more than two seconds= remember last mode, so you have to be right in the middle to change modes.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a bit more time now with mine. I compared it to a R2 drop in last night. Not much difference- except the R2 seemed more yellow. I like the tint on my Q5 better. To switch modes is easy with the high, med, low. Set on low..after a few seconds the light will double flash...then quickly half press- ( turn off and on). May have to do this a couple times to get the timing right. On the high, med, and strobe mode- it double flashes after the medium mode. On the ramping mode ( toughest to catch).. when it drops to low- quickly shut off the light. Wait a few seconds- turn back on- double flashes if it's in the right mood! Then do a quick half press. I can get the modes to change, but the ramping mode is the most difficult to catch just right.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
Today I received the "other" lamps(11075). These are the higher voltage version of this 11074. It is nearly identical in function but falls short it output. Here are my measurements
I have a 1ft sq white light box. I have 2 holes, one for light meter and the other for the light source.
Bugout Gear's brightest measured 220 fc 3x Surefire CR123
The 3.7 v 11074 measured 273 (using Trustfire 18650 rechargeable)
The 3-8 v version measured 177 2x Surefire CR123
All batteries were either either new or freshly recharged.
I have yet to get the double flash.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
THe double flash comes after 3-4 seconds when you first go to the low mode. Say it's on high, then I quick tap to medium, then another quick tap to low....about 3 seconds later it will double flash. Only happens when you first cycle to low- not after the light was off a while and you turned it back on in the low mode. Like I said- a minor pain. Maybe you didn't even get the true 11074?

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
THe double flash comes after 3-4 seconds when you first go to the low mode. Say it's on high, then I quick tap to medium, then another quick tap to low....about 3 seconds later it will double flash. Only happens when you first cycle to low- not after the light was off a while and you turned it back on in the low mode. Like I said- a minor pain. Maybe you didn't even get the true 11074?
Is this in reference to my post above? If so read closely; higher voltage version.
Later