Recommendations for a Lost Doggie Search Light

Edwood

Enlightened
I adopted a rescue dog about a year ago. This dog had been abandoned three times, and was always running away, was most definitely abused in the past. Her name is MoMo. (Short for Mojito, Mo sounds too much like "No").

Here's what she looked like the day we adopted her.

Edwood_MojitoAdoption_02.jpg

Fast forward one year later and she is the absolute best dog we have ever had in our family. She is the most gentle dog with absolutely not one aggressive bone in her body. Poor thing has put up with a lot of hair pulling from our (now 11 month old) daughter.

Edwood_Mojito_11-26-06_01.jpg

2206923945_e0c9f7780f.jpg

Every now and then MoMo forgets that she is loved and safe, and trys to run away. And this little dog is FAST!!! If she is out in the open, I can't even come close to catching her. She eventually stops, but you have to walk up to her slowly, but sometimes she can be out of sight, so we have to search around the neighborhood. She's only ran away once or twice, both during the day, when she bolted out the front door that was slightly open for a second.

Now if she ran away at night, I'd need a very powerful flashlight to find her. It's easier since she's nearly white in color, but if she hides in shrubs or tall grass, if would be difficult to see her.

Anyone have recommendations for a great mini search light? Trying to keep the budget under $500 here, preferrably under $300 (yeah, I know, small for CPF standards, LOL.). I would prefer LED based light over a hotwire, but if the hotwire is cheap enough, I'd consider it.

I'd considered a Mac Custom, if he has some 1000 lumen pocket rocket available in the future.

Even though it was nearly double my budget, the ArcMania Super Flashlight V would've been perfect, small, uses CR123's, and fairly long battery life.
Or I'm hoping to join the ArcMania's "Ostar Club for Men".

Any other recommendations for my MoMo Search Light? I'd prefer something Mag 2C sized or smaller, something that can fit easily into a jacket pocket, or even better yet pant pocket (that's why I like the SF-V).

-Ed

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
An incandescent is your best bet for excellent color rendition and distinguishing her amongst nature. Since your budget is more than big enough, I'd recommend a 2C Maglite using a Philips 5761 bulb along with AW's softstarter. This will give you 3 intensity settings: low output and long runtime as well as high output and a shorter runtime. It's also brighter than the infamous Mag85. Good luck with your build and MoMo is one cute dog! :thumbsup:

Here's a fellow CPFer's Mag61 instructional build:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/185335

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our runaway dog is a little black terrier mix. She's not running from fear but curiosity and hunting genes (very much an alpha dog).

She gets to wear a reflective collar and a trit dangler, as well as all kind of ID tags. About the only real benefit of the trit is to avoid stepping on her around the dark house.

You'd probably find a simple throw light to be adequate particularly since your dog is white. I'll take a stock 9p or Mag 2c/3x123 if I'm having to look for her. Generally, she'll tree a neighbors cat nearby, so we locate her by her bark. The neighbors are used to it and enjoy the show.

Edwood

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that MoMo hardly ever barks at all. It's really weird. She's quieter than most cats.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want LED, the LED throwers like the Dereelight DBS would work pretty well.

Cute dog, looks kind of like my parent's dog which is a Yorkie Poo, part poodle, part yorkshire terrier, or whatever. :)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I'd say something a little more floody, maybe a triple emitter light. I don't know what your area is like, but you'll cover more area with flood.

Edwood

Enlightened
An incandescent is your best bet for excellent color rendition and distinguishing her amongst nature. Since your budget is more than big enough, I'd recommend a 2C Maglite using a Philips 5761 bulb along with AW's softstarter. This will give you 3 intensity settings: low output and long runtime as well as high output and a shorter runtime. It's also brighter than the infamous Mag85. Good luck with your build and MoMo is one cute dog! :thumbsup:

Here's a fellow CPFer's Mag61 instructional build:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/185335

LOL, heheh, now I can't talk myself into getting a crazy pocket rocket light to satisfy my gadget lust. :D

I'll still keep an eye out, ARCMania's Osram monsters are mighty tempting.

Since the cost of the Mag61 is pretty "affordable", I'll build one just for fun. :)

Still want a pocket rocket, though... :devil:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get some kind of 3m reflective stuff put it on her collar...or get one of them key finder thingies witha remote and a reciever unit. Get a HID...:D

Crenshaw

Edwood

Enlightened
Get some kind of 3m reflective stuff put it on her collar...or get one of them key finder thingies witha remote and a reciever unit. Get a HID...:D

Crenshaw

I'd have to get a GPS tag or something. Last time she ran away, she was a 1/4 mile away in no time.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, yeah gps is probably the way to go...very batman thing to do..lol

Crenshaw

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, please... don´t let her go away.

I love my dogs. Do everything that they told you here: tritium at MoMo´s leash, GPS, a lot of flashlights...

And people who abuse of dogs should be shot (not you, of course, but those who abused of Momo before...)
One bullet in each knee, with .45 cartridges!

z96Cobra

Enlightened
I'll put in a good word for the SureFire U2. Love mine, and at night her eyes will glow, so she will be easy(er!) to see. You should also check out Sams Club if you have one near by. They have their HID spotlights on clearance now at a lot of their stores and I was able to get 'em for $20 about a month ago. Other stores had 'em @ this price a long time ago, so YMMV.

Roger

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a cutie!! Scratch under her chin for me, will you? :grin2:

Maybe a small 10W HID would work. This one's 500L, half-hour runtime, and a little over $330. It even runs on 3xCR123A, so you don't have to worry about self-discharge.

Edwood

Enlightened
Man, please... don´t let her go away.

I love my dogs. Do everything that they told you here: tritium at MoMo´s leash, GPS, a lot of flashlights...

And people who abuse of dogs should be shot (not you, of course, but those who abused of Momo before...)
One bullet in each knee, with .45 cartridges!

Bullets are too quick. Tiny dogs, many of them. Slowly gnawing away....

Anyways, for those that are curious, MoMo is a Havanese.

As for the Mag61, what are the ratings for it's outputs in lumens?

I think I'll start with that one, just because it looks like a fun DIY project. I am very handy with a soldering iron, but looks like it requires none.

I will still be looking out for a pocket rocket, I can EDC one at least, the Mag61 will be more of a back up light. The Mag61 is affordable to build, but the battery and chargers is what kills it's affordability.

-Ed

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ed,

Some fine suggestions have already been made. I would recommend the Mag 2D Roar of the Pelican upgrade. This is very powerful, with an intense hotspot and enough spill to light a medium-sized field. May be a bit too big for your needs though.

I would also recommend fitting one of these to the collar. Should be really easy to find then.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sam's Club HID might be your best bet. And you'd come in way under budget.

BTW, that 3rd pic is the most adorable thing I've seen in awhile. :)

GreySave

Enlightened
What type of area do you live in? HIgh powered lights sound great, but they are not practical if you are in an urban setting.

In an urban setting a tight and decent but not overpowering beam is great as you can look down driveways without lighting up the houses on either side. I use a TIROS XO3 for that very purpose while using a U2 or WE Raider to cover wider areas. These work well in urban areas, although our greyhounds are a bit larger and easier to spot.

If you are in a rural area, then the sky is the limit as far as what you can use. As another post mentioned, your dog's eye will reflact back at you as well, so you do not necessarily need a super powered light to get the job done.

And yes, GPC collars ARE available. Expect to pay $300 to $600 for a transmitter collar and receiver with about a one mile range. Watch catalogues like RC Steele or Drs. Foster & Smith for availability. Will probably pop up on a Google search as well.

Alan
Grey-Save Of Northwestern Pennsylvania
Caring For Greyhounds Through Adoption & Education

Edwood

Enlightened
What type of area do you live in? HIgh powered lights sound great, but they are not practical if you are in an urban setting.

In an urban setting a tight and decent but not overpowering beam is great as you can look down driveways without lighting up the houses on either side. I use a TIROS XO3 for that very purpose while using a U2 or WE Raider to cover wider areas. These work well in urban areas, although our greyhounds are a bit larger and easier to spot.

If you are in a rural area, then the sky is the limit as far as what you can use. As another post mentioned, your dog's eye will reflact back at you as well, so you do not necessarily need a super powered light to get the job done.

And yes, GPC collars ARE available. Expect to pay $300 to $600 for a transmitter collar and receiver with about a one mile range. Watch catalogues like RC Steele or Drs. Foster & Smith for availability. Will probably pop up on a Google search as well.

Alan
Grey-Save Of Northwestern Pennsylvania
Caring For Greyhounds Through Adoption & Education

I live in a suburban area. Lots of trees and shrubs. Up on a hill in the South Bay of Los Angeles.

Because of the trees and utter lack of street lights, it gets pretty dark. Probably not as dark as in the middle of the country side, but dark enough.

Are those GPC collars a hardware only solution? I don't want to have to pay monthly fees, plus, it would need to be quite small, as MoMo only weighs about 9 lbs.

-Ed

Carpenter

Enlightened
Not that I have a light recommendation (there are plenty of good ones up above, but consider getting her microchipped. It's just extra insurance that if she does get away one night and for whatever reason doesn't have a collar on (after a bath maybe), or if comes loose while she is out, she can still be returned to you. Also if you have to license your dog (like here :thumbsdow) you may be able to get a lifetime license if you show proof of her being microchipped)