MiniMag w/Cree Q5 "sandwich" mod

wildstar87

Enlightened
Well I was thinking that this might be able to be done, and it can.. :twothumbs

Essentially I made a sandwich using a MadMax +, and had some wires coming from it, instead of putting the LED on the emitter board.

I used Artic Silver Epoxy on a 16mm Cree Q5 star, and epoxied to the top of the Minimag body.

Put the sandwich with wires, ran them up through the holes in the star, then soldered them onto the star. Powered up nicely, but you will need a tailswitch for this mod, I'm using the Terralux one.

I screwed the head all the way down without the reflector, then used a Fraen reflector, which presses onto the metal ring on the Cree, then "unscrewed" the head until the reflector was far enough in, that I could put the lens and lens cap back on, then screwed it back down to put pressure on the reflector/lens.

You don't get any focusing, but really it doesn't need it, and it sucked anyway.. :)

P1000389.jpg

P1000386.jpg

P1000391.jpg

P1000390.jpg

P1000399.jpg

P1000401.jpg

P1000404.jpg

Heat is getting transferred into the body nicely, it does get a little warm, but not bad at all. I'm going to be doing another one with a BB750, see if I can get a bit brighter.

I don't have any beamshots right now, but I can tell you this is quite a bit brighter than the Terralux Cree drop-in that I have in another Minimag.

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed this from a link and wanted to say nice approach.
Nice use of the Fraen Reflector.