Inova X5T compared?

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am new to this forum as well as the indie flashlight subculture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I recently received my first CPF-approved flashlight, the Inova X5T (don't worry, a SureFire is on its way too).

Now I wonder how the X5T compares to some other LEDs I've been reading about here.

I'm interested in comparisons to other five-ledders (though I have only seen four and seven ledders, no fivers except the X5T) as well as how this and other fiver/multi-ledders compares to single ledders. Is the X5T five times brighter than say the Arc AAA? And if so, how do you define "bright"?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks,
Lars

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hi Kimchikungfu wellcome to CPF. Lots of people here know more about lights than I do,but my x5t does seem to be close to 5 times as bright as my Arc AAA, but my Arc lsh & lsl-p are both 1 led they are the luxon star 1 watt leds and seem to be nearly twice as bright as the x5t.The brightness is dependent on several things, type of led,number of leds how hard they are driven the type of lens or optics and even the color and individual varation and grade. Craigs led museum, is a great help to those of us who are learning.Go to the museum and look around you will enjoy it. Craig also has a lot of good links that are a lot of help. have fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The X5T is one of my personal favorites. It's tough, bright and a good looking flashlight. If you plan to make this light an EDC, buy batteries online as they can be on the expensive side. You can get a box of 12 SF123A lithium batteries for $15 bucks HERE, or you can get them from cheapbatteries.com or sunnbattery.com.

Both Quickbeam and Craig have some very informative reviews on the Inova X5 and X5T as well as other lights. Check out their sites: The Light Site and The LED Museum.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
onelight: Thanks a lot, that was helpful. The Luxeon Star twice as bright as five normal leds? that's impressive. I can see why people are prepared to spend that much on Luxeons. I have visited the LED museum btw. fantastic site. Will have to revisit as soon as post this though.

Cosmic SuperChunk: currently the x5t is my only serious flashlight. I just started /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The X5T was destined to become my bedside light from the start, and has taken up that assigment with pride and joy.

I am very happy with it indeed.

However, I have an E2e and a KL1 on its way and that light is most likely going to be my EDC.

It will be very interesting to compare the E2e/KL1 to the X5T. As I understand it, the KL1 is a luxeon star, right?

Lars

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
KL-1 is only nearly twice as bright? That could not be happening. KL-1 should be at least three times as bright as the inova. Onelight, perhaps your eye deceive you or you got a defective surefire or a extraordinaire inova. However, from theoretical point of view, KL-1 was rated at around 18 lumens and one luxeon star should be on par with an array of 16 to 18 leds. therefore, we can safely deduce that one led will puts out at most 1 lumen, and thus inova puts out at most 5 lumens, rite? Then it was clear why KL1 should be three times brighter that the inova.

Kimchikungfu, you will like the e2e and KL1. Even though i don't have the E2e, but i am happy with my KL1. It is a lot brighter that my inova. I guess the next thing you should do is to buy the UBH so that you don't have to use the expensive 123 lithium

cheers

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input shiftd.

But can/do you always trust the manufacturer's ratings?

My guess, of course without experience or knowing for sure(fire), would be that you can't, just as you can't trust the specs of cars, cameras, or any other electronic device for that matter.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're happy with the KL1. I was going for just the E2e but it seemed like an excellent opportunity to sort of get "two lights in one" and to try them out on the same power source, especially seeing as I'm a newbie.

Question though: what's a UBH?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
Yes, it is true that you cannot always trust the manufacturer specs, but it seems correct to me. They maybe wrong about the lumens rating but regarding the statement that one LS should put as much light as an array of 16 to 18 leds is unobjectionable, at least that is what happens to my eyes.
UBH is the custom battery holder (and thus the name UBH: Universal battey holder) made by (i forget the name). Basicly it was an battery holder that fits into the KL1 or E1e and E2e. This holder can take up to 2 AA or 3 123 lithium batteries. This way, if you are using KL1, you don't need to spend to much money on the lithium batteries. However, you cannot use E2e head using this holder if you want to power that up using AA batteries. There simply not enough voltage.
This may sound confusing to you and i apologise for that. I just cannot explain it well. I am sure others can explain it better. (Others, please help me)
I wish i could post some link, but don't have time for that now. maybe later.

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
thanks shiftd, that cleared it up for me and was not confusing at all.

The SureFire website has cheap SF brand lithium batteries, but I'm not sure if they ship these outside of the US.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did someone say "comparison"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lux_chart_led.gif

There are beamshot comparisons on the "beam comparisons" page off of the Reviews page on my site as well.

BTW, Brock's Foot-candle readings are directly comparable with mine in most cases, so you can check his site for numbers to compare to this chart as well. (Foot-Candles read at 1 foot result in the same numbers as Lux read at one meter)

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
WOW! That list rocks...excellent!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

JackBlades

Enlightened
Kimci, I have an X5T, an ARC-AAA, an an ARC-LSH-P.
The X5T is, as you found out, a great bedside light. I use mine to read the TV guide late at night. If I did this with the LSH-P, it would temporarily BLIND ME. The X5T is not regulated in any way and just gets dimmer from the moment you turn it on till death. At about 2 hrs, you can really tell the difference. The LS stays VERY BRIGHT for 2 hrs, then drops into "moon mode" where it still seems brighter to me than the X5T. The ARC-AAA is a different light. It's size means it will likely be with you when you need it most, I.E. pure & total darkness. It is very impressive in the dark. If you like the X5, you will be amazed by the ARC LS. It took me a long time to finally decide to buy one and when I got it I was kicking myself for waiting so long....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Try one, trust me. You will like it!

kimchikungfu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks JackBlades, regulation is the only thing missing from the X5T AFAIC. Hopefully they'll include that for the next revision.

Arc LS and Arc AAA? What a surprise, hahaha!

But seriously, yes I will get them. It took me some time to decide on this, but when so many people recommend something I listen. Of course there's the risk of being disappointed after all the hype, isn't it? What I mean is there's bound to be a lot of expectation in the air when I open the box, and after all it's just a flashlight...but I do think I will like it, yes.

In fact it looks like the AAA will be ordered this week, but the LS will have to wait or my travel budget will be blown to bits.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif that is a great chart,, you have a great websight that I have spent a lot of tme in,this is a good oppertunity to say THANKS FOR A GREAT JOB Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kirk

Enlightened
You can pick up a CMG Reactor 3 for about $29 + shipping from one of the advertisers shown on the banner at the top of the screen. It's got to be the least expensive LS light out there and it takes cheap, readily available batteries (3 x AA). It's kind of big, but it is a real genuine LS and it is bright.
Kirk

onelight

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Shiftd you are right, my E2E-KL1 is way more than twice as bright.Sorry sometimes Im go out at night and get all lumened up,and when I get home I can't rember what I was shining or how bright it was.Its the curse of the flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif