Malkoff 3D Maglite upgrade doesn't work - what am I doing wrong?

Robert15

Newly Enlightened
My Malkoff 3D Maglite drop-in arrived today. I can't get it to work.

I'm surrounded by Maglite parts and very frustrated.

Everything seems fine with the stock incandescent bulb. I measure 4.6V with no bulb installed. When I install the LED module, I get no light at all. It doesn't generate any heat either.

I'm not certain the center pin on the LED module is making contact with the Maglite switch. It doesn't seem like a good idea to push the module in any farther.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Gene43

Enlightened
I sent you a PM. We will get it working or you get a new one or a refund. Your choice.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you make sure you had the module about 1/4" down from the front edge of the battery tube?

I had my module for my 2D flush with the top of the battery tube and it didn't work. I had to lower it 1/4" to make it work.

Robert15

Newly Enlightened
I just talked to Gene on the phone. We talked and fiddled our way through the possibilities and got the light working. Now I'm just waiting for dark to try it out!

We discovered a variant type of switch in my old 3D Maglite. This is still the "modern" type of light, with the serial number starting with "D".

The center pin of the drop-in wasn't making contact with the center conductor in the switch. Once we figured that out, I took the switch out of my newer 6D Maglite and compared it with the 3D version. The center conductor in the 6D switch rides about 1-1.5 mm higher. When I put the 6D switch in the 3D light, the center pin in the drop-in made contact and everything works. Yay!! :D

Gene is planning to modify the drop-in design to add a little more length to the center pin, which should solve this problem.

Thanks Gene! I couldn't ask for better service!

-- Robert

thermal guy

Flashaholic
When i first read this post it just accrued to me that i have never herd of one of gene's drop in going bad. His work is the best.