Lanyard Help

SayHey

Newly Enlightened
I carry an "original" Lumapower D-Mini on nightly walks, and was in the habit of using the supplied lanyard to avoid dropping the light along my route. Well, it separated from the light unexpectedly, fortunately at home. Any suggestions as to how to easily obtain and install something more durable? The holes in the tail are pretty small, limiting some options I've seen. Thanks in advance for any tips!:shrug:

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
If you'd like, I can make one for you and send it out if you live in the Unites States. Looks like this one on one of my lights. You can do with/ without the cordlock on the end and in olive drab as seen in the photo or just black. It doesn't have the plastic molded piece like the original ones towards the tiny loop on the flashlight end so it will not detach or snap off. Believe me, I've tried. If you like the one I have here, let me know the length you need or you can measure your old one.
Don't worry about paying me, just PM me your info. I am doing this out of goodwill with no strings attached. Just helping out a new member like myself. Makes no sense to order one and wait weeks from China, or pay 5 dollars for shipping for such a small item. ;)

SFl1lanyard.jpg

Last edited:

Wolf359

Enlightened
very nice work you have done there far better than most commercial ones i have seen. my complements on your willingness to help a fellow member.

regards

Ian

edit: if you have the time perhaps a tutorial on how you did your fine work would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Wolf359!
There are 4 things to make one.

1: A piece of shrink tubing to bind the main lanyard together with the smaller loop to the light.
2: A piece of parachute cord that will provide the main lanyard and a strip
of the smaller strand that is contained inside the paracord that will be used to form the smaller loop to the light.
3: Optional cordlock to hold the lanyard together or you can just knot it, but the cordlock is what Surefire lights usually have and provide a more "finished" look.
4: Flame source to heat the shrink tubing and fuse the ends of the paracord together

Maybe one day I can post pics.....if you'd like in a new thread.
The only thing that really cost anything are the cordlocks which you must buy in bulk for cost effectiveness. Sorry to hijack thread SayHey:oops:

Snesley Wipes

Newly Enlightened
I went to lighthound.com and bought my own materials. They have a great selection and are very cheap.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lanyard on my Fenix L2D was frayed by the relatively sharp holes on the tail. My solution is denoted in my signature - I used cheap mini-split rings (6mm) from Walmart along with a lanyard and no more worries about fraying lanyards.

I plan on ordering more lanyards from Lighthound though.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
For the lanyard fraying issue with my chinese made lights, I just deburr the sharp edges with either a small drill bit, needle file, or a diamond coated knife sharpener with a needle end. Completely ended my fraying issues. I have used the ring idea, but I never really liked the idea of the split ring's sharp edges cutting up and wearing through the anodizing.

lengendcpf

Enlightened
For the lanyard fraying issue with my chinese made lights, I just deburr the sharp edges with either a small drill bit, needle file, or a diamond coated knife sharpener with a needle end. Completely ended my fraying issues. I have used the ring idea, but I never really liked the idea of the split ring's sharp edges cutting up and wearing through the anodizing.

Me too..

SayHey

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to acknowledge the generous assistance rendered to me by greenpea76! He committed his time and some expense to help me out with no expectation of anything in return. Nice to know there are individuals like him still among us...I've always enjoyed my time reading here, and this illustrates that good people are a main reason behind this forum's success and growing popularity.

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to acknowledge the generous assistance rendered to me by greenpea76! He committed his time and some expense to help me out with no expectation of anything in return. Nice to know there are individuals like him still among us...I've always enjoyed my time reading here, and this illustrates that good people are a main reason behind this forum's success and growing popularity.

CPF is a good place :grin2:. I've learned quite a bit and just returning the favor to fellow members. Enjoy the "string".

roymail

Enlightened

greenpea76, ....well done! :thumbsup:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
There is an overwhelming amout of people like that here....Greenpea76,may the schwartz be wit cha:thumbsup:.