Arc AAA flashlight mount?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have A LOT of handheld lights. I'm more comfortable with the standard, cylindrical flashlight design and am somewhat "turned off" by unfamiliar designs, like the Eternalight, Double Barrel, spotlights....

But the downside of handheld lights is the fact that they are "handheld." Sometimes i need to use both hands for night time activities, and holding a flashlight in one hand seriously impairs me from doing such activities with ease. I can only hold a flashlight, even a small one, in my mouth for so long before 1)my mouth gets tired or 2) I drool...which is very embarassing.

For most skilled and up-close situations, i don't need much light. I usually turn to my trusty Arc AAA for most jobs. I would usually need light for 10-20 minutes at a time, so holding it in my mouth would be out of the question.

I have found that wedging the Arc AAA between my ears is a GREAT temporary solution...but it only works when my head isn't tilted so much, or else it will slip out of my ear. This is very frustrating, especially when most jobs require you to look down at whatever you are repairing.

Anyway, i was thinking of way you can securely strap it to your ear. Headbands are out of the question because i wouldn't want to carry it around with me all the time, and i personally they look silly. This is why i have never bought a headlight...no matter how useful they are.

While i was searching for a Bluetooth headset for my Sony Ericsson phone, i have found that the securing meathod for these headsets would be perfect for a flaslight the size of the Arc AAA.

GPD_3258_1500_0_1016.jpg

Even the design of these sony headphones would work...

MDRJ10BLUE.jpg

The "wrap around the ear" design would definately safely secure an Arc AAA to your head. It's small, discreat, and easy to use and pocket.

What do you guys think? Can one be fabricated for the Arc AAA?

If i end up buying a bluetooth headset for my phone, i'll attatch my Arc AAA to it to see if it works. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ...that's one expensive headlight!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Now that's something that's just sort of "whizzed" right buy us! It was recognized, hence the clip that's now included with the AAA. However it would be nice if something with a little more "design/versatility" could be made. The clip on the Streamlight Clipmate is "ok" and actually allows one to use the Clipmate in many different positions. I'm thinking along those lines but "not" at the same time, ya know?

Perhaps something sort of cylindrical that would either clip around the ARC or that it could slip into, with a clamp/swivel similar to the Clipmante, but...better. Heck even the new UK 2AAA LED comes with a nice basic clip.

Maybe some sort of versatile camera attachment of sorts "that does it all". Throw some sort of magnet attachment in there too (like the PALight accessory)!...Where's our design experts? You know there's a market, could be included or as an accessory. Hey does it fit into that little Nite Ize "Flashlght Friend" that's meant for the AAA Mag Soliwhatever?

Heck, wish I was handy and could put something together so I wouldn't have to work again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (On the other hand, look at all of the patent infringement lawsuits I'm on the edge of here?)

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
If you wear a ball cap the ARC AAA fits nicely behind your ear with the edge of the cap covering the back half of the light. I used this method 3 days straight for 1 hour each on a trip last fall. My ARC was brighter than all but one of the headlights the other guys were wearing. Granted their headlights were old but mine was still brighter and 1/10th the size. Of course with the new clip you can attach it to the bill of your ball cap, collar, belt loop and other.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps something sort of cylindrical that would either clip around the ARC or that it could slip into

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hey does it fit into that little Nite Ize "Flashlght Friend" that's meant for the AAA Mag Soliwhatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Arc AAA will fit perfectly into Tygon R-3400 hose (1/2" ID, 3/4"). Tygon is the trade name for a range of hoses made by Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics. The R-3400 line is highly UV and chemical resistant, dense, durable, and somewhat elastic. It comes in black only. You can get it from McMaster-Carr among others.

The best part is how snugly this hose fits the Arc AAA. As you know the Arc has that awesome anodyzed, textured finish. Well, it grips the inside of the hose. If you stick the Arc one inch into a lenght of hose, it's enough that I can swing the hose around at high speed and the Arc won't come out. Only by repeatedly whacking the hose against a milk crake could I get the Arc to budge at all. If you stick the Arc in 1 7/8", i.e. entirely covering the textured finish but leaving the head out, the Arc is practically immoveable. You have to slowly twist and pull clockwise to remove the flashlight.

It occurs to me that the Tygon R-3400 could be an excellent material as part of a fastener, harness, holster etc for the Arc.

I myself am currently tinkering with some harnesses etc for the MagAA, the Arc AAA, as well as some non-flashlight fasteners. Perhaps we can trade notes.

As for the Flashlight Friend for the MagAAA, I'll look into that.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Drakonchik said:
Only by repeatedly whacking the hose against a milk crake could I get the Arc to budge at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
I just love the "technical & scientific tests" that we Flashaholics put our torches through! I'd love to see a video of this, similar to Mr. Science's MiniMag/ARC AAA "drop-test"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I still want to see the "Zero Gravity" tests!!

If I were to look for that hose in Anchorage, what sort of business would I look for? Automotive, medical, heating & air conditioning,...???

Alledges

Newly Enlightened
Posted this in August.

[ QUOTE ]
Alledges said:
Took an Arc LE and LS camping in Maine. Moonless nights favored the LE. The LS brightness might have been better in mixed illumination. Had the LS on a jakstrap headband and it was great for open spaces and trails, but was blinding in camp for close up tasks and for anyone who got in it's way. The LE held in mouth and improvised "lanyard and micro-biner earring" mount worked great for two hands tasks and anything else within 50 ft.

With the rise of reasonably bright micro lights like the Arc AAA, Photon, Infinity Ultra, how about an ear mount accessory? Took the earpiece from a hands-free telephone headset (some headphones also come with earpieces) and attached LE with velcro. Very "Resistance is futile" look, but works well. Not as uncomfortable or unwieldy as headband, but LED far back over ear puts spot slightly off center. Simple velcro mount doesn't allow precise position. Seems to me this might be a viable niche for jakstrap or niteize or a CPF modder. Adjustable over ear piece with flashlight clip or velcro wrap connected via ball and socket for precise adjustment. Light, small, and hands-free.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking through all the telephone headsets I've broken for suitable material.

Why an ear-mounted micro light? --> big head, don't like hats, good night vision, ears like a ferengi. Yesss my precious.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
If I were to look for that hose in Anchorage, what sort of business would I look for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think probably the easiest way is to order from McMaster-Carr Supply Company. That's where I got the 1/2" ID Tygon R-3400. You don't need an account with them, they'll ship any quantity, and my order shipped same day. But they only have one or two types of Tygon, although a full range of specs.

I first came across the Tygon, specifically F-4040-A yellow fuel hose, at a construction equipment supply company. After that I burned alot of gas looking for more specs and types of this product in alot of likely places, but mostly got blank stares, and even those who know what it is don't have it.

So I got results on the web. See the complete product line at Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics Tygon Section, also Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics. The range of hose products, Tygon and other, is like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. Saint-Gobain will be sending me samples of other types of hose and I'll post results by-and-by.

Meantime I can vouch for the Tygon F-4040-A based on my experience with the 1/8" ID hose, which I used on a Mag2AA-related project. Some of 1/2" ID of same might hold the Arc AAA just as well. The F-4040-A is more elastic, tackier and softer than the R-3400.

Drakonchik

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Hey does it fit into that little Nite Ize "Flashlght Friend" that's meant for the AAA Mag Soliwhatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, the Arc AAA fits the Mag Solitaire sized Flashlight Friend. The Solitaire and the Arc are about the same diameter (1/2"). The Arc fits a little tighter due to its sand-paper like texture. Also note the Arc is shorter than the Solitaire; I need to leave about 1/2" of the Arc sticking out of the tube to remove the Arc easily.

Further note: the Arc AAA LE with grey finish certainly looks alot more militaristic in the tube than my blue Solitaire.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Quiqlight works great for those tasks when you need both hands for more than a few minutes, and don't want to look too goofy. I've really gotten some good use out of these. I didn't think I would at first.

Don't get me wrong now, I still carry my Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif