VB-16, SSC-U or CREE Q5?

Shaocaholica

Enlightened

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get DX SSC! The tint on mine is superb! I would say WO tint, I got the EMS upgrade and my light was at my door in 4 days!

I did a mini review on DX site about the SSC.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2392

Pros: The tint is superb!!!! I would say it's a WO tint, SNOW white! and brighter than the Fenix P1D with Q5 cree on turbo! I would estimate between 120-150 lumens.

The reflector is light orange peel, has good sidespill and throw, with no artifacts, useful for distances up to 40-50 meters (120 - 150ft)Led is perfectly centered!

The tail button is very soft and reliable, overall the build quality is excellent.

The finish IS HA III it does not scratch off with the edge or tip of a knife, color is very uniform, no mismatch color can be found.

It has 32 levels that can be adjusted in under 3 seconds from brightest to dimmest

I like the lanyard! but get rid of that shiny metal crimp or make it black.

The brightness controls are easy to use and feel nice.

Cons: - Does not tailstand

- The head is sealed with glue, is not easy to open it up to replace / upgrade the led, but the tint and brightness is excelent.

- There are very few small dust particles behind the lens and reflector, doesn't affect performance.

- It is actually 32 levels of light, the higher ones are not very different from each other (level 32-20),and there is a noticeable increase in brightness between the lowest and the next(level 1-2).

- The tailbutton is easy activated should be recessed a bit more to be able to tailstand.

-There was no lube on the tailcap orings.

Other Thoughts: My suggestion would be to tweak the levels to get something like beacon(at3%), 3,5,7,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,100% of light brightness.

Make it 1 CM shorter (1/2 inch) drill 2 holes for the lanyard to be able to tailsand.

Get rid of the glue around the bezel to make it user moddable.

Install glow in the dark Oring around the reflector to be able to locate at night.

Bottomline: Buy it! Can't go wrong with this one!, you will love the tint!

HTH
AlexGT

End Quote

Last edited:

bguy

Newly Enlightened
I got the Q5 one you linked above, and also the SSC from DX that came with the 16340s and a charger:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2686

I don't have a light meter,so all my statements are based on observation. I also use protected 18650 cells. It looks like my Q5 is warmer, I'd almost say pink. The SSC has a slight green tint. I don't notice either one being more ringy than the other. The spot on the Q5 seems a little tighter and brighter,and the spill also seems brighter for the Q5. Personally, I like the natural HA-III on the Q5, despite it's slight flaws. The black HA-III on the SSC I have isn't as flat as in the pics. I'd call it semi gloss.

A couple FYIs,
1: A friend ordered the Q5 from DX in Jan, and it still hasn't shipped. He said they tell him next week every week, and keep changing the expected date on the web site.
2: I test HA-III by rubbing the smooth part of a type-3 light against the knurled part of a type-2 light. Both of the above lights passed, removing some of the black knurling of my EYJ U2 clone, while not taking any damage.

Bradley

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SSC has a slight green tint.

I had all KD/DX variations of VB-16. Black SSC has greenish tint, poor finish (definitely not HA-III) and more textured reflector (less throw). Silver SSC is pure white, better finish (with darker lines) and more throw. Silver Q5 has also pure white light but it's "whiter" on lower modes. Reflector isn't deep so it's not a thrower but there's no Cree rings as well.