Warped Pyrex with LF EO-9

Cypher

Enlightened
I just noticed a minute ago that the Pyrex window on my 6P bezel is warped. I've been running a Lumens Factory EO-9 in it on 2x18650 in a Leef body. I didn't think the EO-9 would be hot enough to affect Pyrex.

Has anyone else noticed this happening before?

I tried to take a picture. It's not warped really bad. It just bulges out in the middle a little bit. This is the best picture I could get.

IMG_3825.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
uh...sure it isn't lexan?
I've been using pyrex labware for years and I haven't been able to melt it...whether its propane, mapp, or magnesium:thinking:

Cypher

Enlightened
That was my first thought as well but I'm assuming it's not lexan since it is a 6P bezel. I purchased the 6P in 2004 and understood the 6P to use Pyrex. Is this not the case?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highly doubtful that you have a Pyrex window. Strain point for Pyrex is around 500 C. If your bezel reached that temp, you would have known about it. Plus, you'd see evidence of that high temp on the surface of the aluminum bezel body.

Original 6Ps used Lexan. The SureFire parts experts can tell you when SF switched from Lexan to Pyrex windows. But certainly my old round bezels are all Lexan. It is my understanding that the anti-roll bezels use Pyrex.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire will replace it. If you want to keep the original bezel, they'll send you a kit which you can use to replace the window.

dougie

Enlightened
The Surefire hex bezels on their incandescent range are pyrex but in the new 6P LED range they use Lexan.

If you have the round bezel then it is highly likely that you have a Lexan lens as Surefire didn't (AFAIK) start using pyrex until they introduced the hex bezels.

Doug

Cypher

Enlightened
I agree. But I don't have an original 6P. I have an anti-roll hex bezel version I purchased in 2004 so I have always thought I had a Pyrex window. Apparently that is not the case.

So now I'm left wondering how long the hex bezels were made with Lexan and when they changed to Pyrex.

I guess this is a lesson to be careful with 6P bezels and high output lamps unless you know for a surety that you have Pyrex.

Surefire would probably replace it but I'm not sure I'll try since I wasn't using factory lamps and it is therefore my fault.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely looks like lexan window. Pyrex would not warp like in the picture. Anyway since its a surefire, send it in for replacement, its a matter of time, anyway good excuse to get another light whilst this one is send in for warranty repair.

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is no window retaining ring in that bezel - it can't be Pyrex. It is push-in snap-fit Lexan.

You can purchase a replacement kit - SureFire model Z17.
You could also purchase a replacement bezel - a Z44-BK (BK = Black).

Al

Cypher

Enlightened
Al,

Do you know the approximate time that the hex bezels on the 6P were made using Lexan?

I'm just curious since the prevailing opinion here seems to be that all 6P hex bezels have pyrex but this isn't the case.

Thanks.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'd guess about 2000/2001 ish. I don't know.

So there's the Hex bezel without retaining ring - Lexan.
Then the Hex bezel with retaining ring- Pyrex. This prevailed for a long time.
Now, with the advent of the P60L there are hex bezels with a retaining ring but with Lexan.

The Z44-HA & Z44-BK have Pyrex for certain.

Kraid

Enlightened
Same thing happened to me. Call SureFire and tell them. They'll send you the Pyrex one for free. Whole head. They don't even want your lexan one back.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My round head Surefire head uses lexan and has a bubble in it, dead center, after I ran a P91 in it. Not sure if this have occurred with a P61.

Bill