Does anyone have the Fenix L2D Premium Q5?

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
This is my first "real" flashlight I ever purchased and I received it today. I cannot figure out how to change modes? It says to "turn the bezel" but I don't know exactly where the "bezel" is and nothing on this light turns.

thanks,
J

HKJ

Flashaholic
This is my first "real" flashlight I ever purchased and I received it today. I cannot figure out how to change modes? It says to "turn the bezel" but I don't know exactly where the "bezel" is and nothing on this light turns.

The bezel or head of the light, if your unscrew it a little bit, your get access to 3 low modes and sos, a fast half press on the button will change between them.

With tight head your can select between full power (Turbo) and strobe, again a fast half press on the button will change mode.

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
Thank you HKJ.

So basically when it is at its tightest, all you get is turbo mode and strobe?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thank you HKJ.
So basically when it is at its tightest, all you get is turbo mode and strobe?

Yes.

Note: With tight head it turns on a max. power and with lose head it turns on at min. power, I believe this is a nice way to make the interface.

HKJ

Flashaholic
One note more:

It is a good idea to store it at the low setting or unscrew the tail a bit (for lockout mode). It is not a good thing if the L2D turns on in turbo mode, when in your pocket or in a bag: :poof: (No not really, but it will get VERY hot).

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
Thank you HKJ.

I was curious whether I was doing it wrong because my 120 lumen dorcy seems to be at least as bright as, if not brighter than the L2D.

Is it possible that its the batteries? I was told that the L2D will work at full strength or not work at all(if the battery level doesn't allow it to work at full strength. Is this true?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard for the human eye to tell differences at these close lumen levels. Even 180 vs 120 lumens is hard for the human eye to discern.

Throw and hot spot also are factors you have to consider. The dorcy may have a very small and bright hot spot, or may not have very good throw, or may not last very long on battery power compared to the L2D Q5.

A flashlight shouldn't be judged purely based upon "how bright it seems".

My $30 CostCo Leatherman Monarch initially seemed as bright as the L2D Q5 as well, even though it's only 140 Lumens. But that obviously doesn't tell the whole thing. The L2D Q5 is a vastly superior flashlight in almost every way.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy!

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was curious whether I was doing it wrong because my 120 lumen dorcy seems to be at least as bright as, if not brighter than the L2D.

Do your compare the hot spot or all the light from the flashlights?

A big reflector will give a very bright hotspot, but not much spill.
The L2D has a small reflector and has a lot of spill, try a ceiling bounce and see how they compare.

Ceiling bounce: Aim the light at the ceiling and look how it lights up the room. Your get the best result with a white ceiling.

Is it possible that its the batteries? I was told that the L2D will work at full strength or not work at all(if the battery level doesn't allow it to work at full strength. Is this true?

The L2D goes down in output when the batteries are low on power, it does not turn off.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
One trick I do to test if the L2D Q5 is on full power or not, is to click it to strobe mode.

If it's on strobe, and I want the other 3 modes, I gently twist the bezel until it's no longer flashing strobe. That way I am 100% sure I am in the correct level.

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
By hotspot do you mean the center of the light?

I'm using Alkaline right now.

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
Is it true about my early question about whether or not Fenix flashlights work 100% or don't work at all?

P.S. sorry about putting this in the wrong forum, I thought it was the correct one :(

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going through the modes should be foolproof. Push the tailcap button. You can use half presses to change the settings, push the button in all the way twice within a couple seconds, or turn the tailcap while the light is on (to off) and twist the tailcap back and forth to change settings. You can turn it on in high or low (by turning the head) and use the switch as a clicky, a twisty, or a combination of the two. With a textured reflector, the L2D won't have as bright of a hotspot as a light with a smooth reflector. That's probably why it doesn't seem as bright as the Dorcy. Use it at night and you'll notice some difference in brightness overall. You got a great light. Nice choice. Now you should consider getting the L1D and P2D bodies so you can choose the best size, brightness, and battery type for each situation you use it in.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I hope that the lumens was not the only reason your got the Fenix light, they have other advantages:

If it gets dirty your can just was it, but do not use a washing machine :D, it might scratch the light.

This is my L0D after a trip in the washing machine :( (it still works, of course):
DSC_0568A.jpg

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I am super happy with my Fenix and didn't purchase it just because of the lumens. I also bought a TK10 which i just opened a few seconds ago...looks like a sweet light.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you will find the TK10 lacking in lumens when compared to anything else you have now. It's also a great light (except for the clip).

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yes, I am super happy with my Fenix and didn't purchase it just because of the lumens. I also bought a TK10 which i just opened a few seconds ago...looks like a sweet light.

I like my TK10, I only use it for non tactical use and has it configured without pocket clip and with the golden ring (The golden ring look a bit silly on a black light).

I can not really decide if I like the TK10 or the T1 best. The T1 has a better body for a general purpose flashlight (in my opinion), but is top heavy, due to the steel ring.