Beginner Here

lightup

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I've never been addicted to flashlights, but I am starting to see the value in them, especially for a survival preparedness. Do you think you could recommend a good, solid flashlight to start out with. Right now my EDC flashlight is a little Streamlight key-mate. It is ok, but I am looking to get something that is of higher quality and has multiple/brighter light modes. Could you guys give me a basic rundown on what the specs mean on flashlights and how to evaluate them and recommend any tried and true flashlight to EDC for now? I would really appreciate it and plan to stick around and learn. My budget for the flashlight is ~$200. Looking for something high quality that won't suck up batteries quick and that can get pretty bright if I need it to.

Other thoughts: If the flashlight can be so bright that it could be used for self-defense that would be good. Any flashlights that are EMP-proof? Gotta have a clip so that I can hook it at my side.

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome: No suggestions for you, your probably going to get a 100 different answers.
Norm

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard, Lightup! :thumbsup:

You`ve covered a lot of ground with your initial questions, and there is no single best answer for any of them.

I suggest you spend some quality time surfing through the CPF and the CPF Marketplace...and absorb by osmosis the wide variety of flashlights that are availble to you on the CPF.

For what it`s worth, and if it`s variable brightness that you`re really after, I do suggest that you stare hard at the NovaTac lights, the HDS lights and the Surefire U2`s that surface on a regular basis on the B/S/T section of the CPF Marketplace. You`re also going to see a lot of other really nice flashlights that will float your boat.

In any event, welcome again, and enjoy the journey!

:)

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Lightup

No doubt you will recieve many good suggestions. I feel the light you may be looking for is the Olight T20 Tactical. It has the clip, multiple brightness levels and as the name suggests easily bright enough for tactical applications. It's also very solid, well made and small enough for EDC. The lower modes can be used for long run times and the high setting used for blinding an opponent, should this be required. This is a reliable pocket rocket with good throw.

Andy

Abumustafa

Enlightened
:welcome: Hello Lightup Hope you find what your looking, like its been mentioned look through CPF there are too many lights out there that fit your criteria except the EMP proof there is a certain thread that talks about that but cant seem to find it am sure some1 else will find the link for you again :welcome:

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
Hi and welcome. You may find some great answers in the sticky threads in each forum. when you have a specific question many will answer you when they see that you are trying to do you part in learning.

Have fun! You will find some great people here.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it`s worth, and if it`s variable brightness that you`re really after, I do suggest that you stare hard at the NovaTac lights, the HDS lights and the Surefire U2`s that surface on a regular basis on the B/S/T section of the CPF Marketplace. You`re also going to see a lot of other really nice flashlights that will float your boat.

In any event, welcome again, and enjoy the journey!

:)

Well said. I completely agree. If you are going to put a light in your pocket, you won't do much better than the Novatac's, HDS Lights or the U2.