Call Unlock Codes?

justjim

Newly Enlightened
same request as groundhog. i've got a motorola razr v3 - bought it from a website that sells unlocked cell phones. they were supposed to provide a phone for my at&t plan, but sent one for t-mobile instead. i haven't been able to get them to send the at&t code.

-jim

gorn

Enlightened
Some phones can be unlocked with a code or software and a USB cable, others require a special cable to do it. It depends on the brand and model of the phone.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest first perusing the cell phone forums, like the GSM-Forum, or Phonescoop. Some phones are not unlockable without special software that is not free, so the Marketplace and Product Support subforums may be of use.

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to unlock a Nokia when I was on AT&T. The Nokia model was not unlockable with a code and needed to be sent to Nokia, which was more trouble than it was worth. Don't know what phones are not unlockable, but I think most Nokia's cant use a code?

-dan

Brownstone

Enlightened
Each and every phone has its own unlock code. It's not like there is typically a generic unlock code that works across many phones.

I've unlocked many Motorola CDMA phones. All that takes is a cable and some software. I don't know about other phones.

The best resource to start with is probably howardforums.com. They prohibit certain "dark knowledge" from being posted there, but once you know exactly what you are looking for you can always google for it.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For GSM phones you could just ask your carrier if they can get you the unlock code. Put in the foreign SIM, enter the subsidy unlock code, and you're good to go.
If they can't or won't then you could spend the time and effort in getting it unlocked, or getting the software, etcetera.