My Romisen RC-T5 experiance and problems/questions.

bryan24

Newly Enlightened
I received my RC-T5 about 2 months ago. It came not bubble wrapped and the glass lens was smashed in. I had to have a local shop cut a normal plastic lens witch the Attendant promptly turned in to a partial diffuser lens by Cleaning it off with a paper towel. I would like to get a tempered Pyrex lens the diameter is 46.5mm and DX dose not sell these yet. The over all ergonomics of this light are excellent but the output is a little weak compared to its potential. I want to use a shark board to boost the output. There is a thread on this already here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/194390

While I was taking measurements from the head for a bicycle mount the slug came loose from all the screwing/unscrewing. The light would only stay in one mode and when i tightened the slug up the function returned to normal. It would be nice to put a set screw in the face to prevent loosening due to head removal. While I was fixing the loose slug I noticed that one of the lenses fell off a CREE. Can this be re-glued? If not can i just replace the emitter or board? I have the Q4 emitters with the silver background so this is the WC model? The boards are 16mm versions. Should I replace the whole board with :

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3417

If it is the yellow type that will throw off the whole color balance. Is there any way to get the proper SKU for the emitter I have? Should I just go ahead and upgrade the 4 Q4's to Q5's to get a proper matching set?

Bigsy

Enlightened
You can just push the dome back on, or run it with out the dome, it makes little difference to the beam profile.

The cree core colour will make absolutely no difference to the tint, its only over spray. The newer silver crees are binned the same as they always have been. As it happens, if you were to order that led you would actually get the newer silver kind, but as I say, it makes no difference at all.

But the main issue here is that you don't know the tint of the Q4's in the T-5 anyway, and if I were a betting man I would say they are not premium, being a budget romisen. So I would just forget the whole tint quandary if I were you, as to be perfectly honest even if the tint is off its going to make virtually no difference when running it with 3 other crees.

Last edited:

bryan24

Newly Enlightened
You can just push the dome back on, or run it with out the dome, it makes little difference to the beam profile.

LOL I tried that but the lens is off center and it appears that i got some dust in the gel that is between the emitter and lens. It is really noticeable at close distance. I will try ordering a new board since i have some other parts I need from DX. Thanks for the advice I would really hate to have to replace all 4 Q4's with Q5's (well not if I could do it with R4's).

Bigsy

Enlightened
BTW I forgot to add that you linked to a P4 cree which is several bins below a Q4.

Just replace the busted Q4 cree with a Q5 on 14mm or 16mm board (sku: 11022, 11023) you won't notice the difference, I'm sure of it. Also don't forget to buy some thermal adhesive from DX to attach new emitter :)

Last edited:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
talk about tolerant. have you contacted DX? A smashed-in lens is absolutely unacceptable. Even your other problems warrant a replacement.