Need suggestions on what to buy for work...

2nd2none

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I am looking for a very bright LED light for my work, I am a LEO and I currently am using a Magcharger with WA1160 bulb and a 4500ma bat. pack. I do like it but I would like something brighter with longer run time. I would like to have somewhere around 1000 lumens(the brighter the better of course). I was considering an HID light but I would like the light to be instant on and very durable. I would also like the light to have very good throw with good spill, so I could search for someone in the woods as well as in an urban area etc... I do have several Mag lights that I could use for hosts. I have a 3D,4D,5D & 6D. I would prefer to have a light around the size of a 3D(preferred) and no bigger than a 4D. I have a budget of around $300. I do not want to do any major modding, I prefer to buy a light outright or a simple drop in. I have been browsing the forums and the P7 LEDs look promising, but I am seeking everyones advice,experience and suggestions. Brightness and run time are at the top of my list. Thanks guys for any suggestions.

jayhackett03

Enlightened
1000 lumens?????

i would go for something more reliable...like a Surefire G3L with that new holder that goes on your belt.

i wouldn't do HID because of the time it takes to get to full output.

if you really want to spend your full $300 budget, i'd say the new Optimus.

adnj

Enlightened
What about the 4-led mag drop-in from Malkoff Devices? It was going for $250 to get a 1000 lumen set up.

greenstuffs

Banned
Since you are a LEO i believe rechargeables are a must, the current market offering for the P7 are mods using a maglite as a host. I think that is still too new, but from the little i have seen so far the performance will depend greatly on the builder. The dealextreme's P7 output were disapointing. However some mag builds were awesome.

If you are in the woods you will probably welcome the throw of a HID light. In case you were to go into the HID route i would suggest the Microfire K2500R or K3500R or even the little brothers they are about the size of a 2D maglite some even shorter which makes them great for holster carry. I have handled them and they are very nice and bright with a very good warm up time and a initial output that will surpass all single die LED lights you i have seen. Opticshq.com give great deals to CPF users and will just put you a little over your budget.

2nd2none

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies,
I decided to go w/ the 3D Mag P7 from Elektro, I'll see in a few weeks how it compares to my MagCharger w/ WA1160 and 4500mah areo battery pack.