torn between E1L and L1 Lumamax ...what should I choose ? ...E1L+L1 ::))

radu1976

Enlightened
I would like to buy my first SUREFIRE and I am torn between those 2 nice minilights : E1L and L1 Lumamax, both CREE
The price I would be pay would be the same : I can choose between a cheap L1 from a CPFM or an E1L from e-bay, about 90$ shipped each.
Honestly I like more the E1L , that plastic ring of L1 doesn't attract me too much and additionally E1L is more compact and has a MUCH longer runtime. The runtime is not so important for me as I have plenty of CR123 batteries.
One the other side L1 is brighter.
I can't understand how E1L is supposed to run for 8h with 45 lumens while L1 for 1.5 hrs with 65 lumens !???! Both are using 1CR123. I really can't get it.
I have read a comparison review and it seems that L1 can throw a little better than E1L , but the difference is not very significally.
Would the E1L be able to throw like a FENIX P2D or it throw less ? It's clear that the P2D outshines E1L and L1 at overall brightness.
Any suggestion would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Re: torn between E1L and L1 Lumamax ...what should I choose ?

E1L is more compact and has a MUCH longer runtime.
Those are the reasons that I kept the E1L & sold the L1. For me, the L1 was too long for a single cell.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been very interested in these two lights as well (and also the E1B backup). I have not made a purchase yet because I want to purchase it from a local store and nobody around me has an E1L to look at.

To me - I like the E1 switch better than the L1 because it will click to the level rather than twist for lock in (which would require two hands). I also prefer the longer runtime at the ever slightly reduced output to the eye. Both have the nice throw of the Surefire optic. I like that the E1L starts at low first.

I like the proportion size of the L1 better than the E1. But I like that the E1 is smaller.

I wish the E1 low was brighter for general use - but I have not seen one in person so I could be wrong.

These are my observations and opions FWIW.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I have both and an E1B. I would recommend the E1L or E2L. (Ain't that much longer.) I predict the L1 and L2 will be leaving SF's lineup before too long, based on the later lights' performance. (I have zero "inside" knowledge!)

Larry

Daylo

Newly Enlightened

I have a CREE L1, E1B, and an older (non cree) E1L. They are all great lights and would recommend any of them. The E1B is awesome and in all honestly I carry it more than the other two but if I had to choose just one it would probably be the L1. I would choose it because of its twisty tail cap that will not fail. If I could only keep one light in my collection of several Surefires, Inovas, a Novatac, Fenix, etc it would be the L1 for its small size, 2 output levels, bright high output, and Surefire reliability. In the end though I would have to say get em both, you won't regret it.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer the L1. It is brighter, and you can take that plastic ring off easily!

I can't understand how E1L is supposed to run for 8h with 45 lumens while L1 for 1.5 hrs with 65 lumens !???! Both are using 1CR123. I really can't get it.

I don´t get it too! Can someone explain it to us ??

Saiga

Enlightened

I got both,too !! And i love the L1, but IMO the E1L is a hundred times more practical. It's smaller, and it's high level is more than enough for 99% of non-tactical situations requiring a lot of light. But it's low is also a surprisingly respectable amount of light, yet delivers an awesome amount of runtime. I also like that the low comes on first,which,again, is most practical for those amongst us that aren't navy commandos.( surely, not everyone here is truly a Navy commando ? ) For all the moaning and groaning we always hear about needing tactical features, they really aren't practical in the situations most of us non-operators exist in.
I'm yacht-sitting in Honduras right now,all alone,virtually surrounded by machete wielding savages, and guess what's in my pocket,( no sh#t) an SF E1L.
Now i gotta go check on dinner and buid me another tasty rum beverage !!!!:twothumbs

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't understand how E1L is supposed to run for 8h with 45 lumens ...
Thank you!

I think 4 hours at 45 lumens is a more realistic runtime figure for the Surefire E1L.

The smaller size, longer battery life, and clicky tail switch were motivations to get the E1L instead of the L1. I carry the E1L easily in a shirt pocket.

radu1976

Enlightened

Thank you very much for all your advices, guys!
I guess I will choose E1L finally.
The difference of throw will not matter so much finally. As I am not expecting to have a minisuperthrower. As I have my collection 2 throwers, DBS and TIABLO A8 and a midsize one , LUMA M1-R , the E1L will be my sweet pocketable EDC light.
Hmm...I am targetting another minilight, but I guess that would be one of my expenses in May : NITECORE EXTREME Q5 1CR123 !
Have a nice weekend, everybody!

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I'd never buy a surefire (or anything I was going to use like a flashlight) with an E1L/multifunction style switch, it would be hard enough to get me to try an E1B. Learning morse code just to use a flashlight hardly seems like a logical step. Now a solid state switch that operates just like the standard "push lightly for level 1 and all the way for max brightness" mechanical switch would be nice. At least in theory the solid state switch should be more reliable. Really there are plenty of other manufacturers making flashlights with whiz bang hahah switches and that's fine, but I'd rather surefire not have anything to do with them.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

I share your disdain for having to do a morse code "tapdance" on a tailswitch! The L1 and L2 give their 2 levels as a function of switch pressure. However the new EXL and E1B rapidly toggle between their 2 levels- find one you like, and "click." Easily learned in about 10 seconds without reading the manual! IMO, SF has a real winner with the new UI!

Larry

Zenster

Enlightened

I predict the L1 and L2 will be leaving SF's lineup before too long, based on the later lights' performance. (I have zero "inside" knowledge!)

Larry

I've got most of what we're talking about here; E1L/Original, E1L/Dual Output, E1B, and L1, and I respectfully disagree that the L1 or L2 will be discontinued anytime soon.

I like all these lights for their differing qualities.
I like the E1L's for their long runtimes.
I like the E1B for it's smooth finish and dual use clip.
I like the L1 for it's unique UI.

I'm a fan of the L1's UI like a lot of other people, and while I more typically use clickies of one kind or another, I just plain enjoy the L1's interface for it's simplicity and reliability.
In fact, one thing on my wish list is that Surefire would offer the same L1 type switch (dual output) on the 6PLED. Now THAT would be both useful AND awsome. :thumbsup:

The one thing I'll add about any of these lights is that they all need, at one time or another, the F04 diffuser to make them that much more useful.

As far as the OP's dilemma; you probably want to add the E1B as another choice to your original two.
Even though the E1B is rated a little higher than the E1L, the difference in output on high is hardly distinguishable between the two.
The big difference between the two are the way they light up (E1B: high first then low, the E1L: low first then high). You might want to think through how you intend to use the light MOST of the time and choose between them based on that.

But the L1 has a nice UI that is a pleasure to use as well, and the main drawback to the L1 compared to the other two is that it's a little longer if that makes a big difference to you.

My suggestion is to put all three on your list for eventuall acquisition.

Size15's

Flashaholic

SureFire's two-stage UI (not the dual output clickie UI) is one of SureFire's most important contributions to flashlight ergonomics - it will continue to evolve and advance.

The K2, L1, UB2 and UA2 show SureFire's continuing commitment.

SureFire have so much more to offer and I consider the two-stage output UI to be integral to this.

Al

P.S.
The L1 is my current EDC and so I obviously favour it to the E1L.

LG&M

Enlightened

Does the new E1L / E2L use the same optic as the E1B?

Size15's

Flashaholic

Does the new E1L / E2L use the same optic as the E1B?
Yes, SureFire is using the same TIR optic (same beam) for the following flashlights:

E1L (KX1) & E2L (KX2), E1B & E2DL, L1

Fooboy

Enlightened

I own the L1 and E2L, and played with an E1L for a bit.

I think the biggest question is what are you going to use it for?

If you ever feel like you will be switching modes quickly then get the E1L, it will suit you fine.

Personally, I like the L1 for the interface alone ... but the E1L is a great utility light. I opted for the E2L to fill my utility light role for the longer run times.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/192514

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

When there is a simple UI which is basically a perfect two stage UI just as it is why evolve it?
IMHO and that of many others it is just right just as it is and requires no evolution changes alterations or changes of any kind.

If SureFire were to create a NEW UI with other useful features (On a single cell light I really can't think of any other features I would EVER need) BUt If SureFire felt the need to create a NEW UI I say have at it but please do us a favor and leave the current and simple on high off on low off just as it is.

If the lights mentioned in this thread I have also got to recommend the E1B over the others.
For one thing it is Surefire's brightest single cell flashlight available at the moment.
It is representative of Surefire's "NEXT' generation of flashlights while the E1L is a representative of the older gen of UI and flashlights.
The Overall design of the E1B lends itself to many different usage styles.
The clip is fantastic. the Beam being that it is using Surefire's "NEW" Tir optics is very efficient and does a great job of concentrating ALL of the emitters light energy into a very nice beam with a vague sort of side spill.
Yaesumofo

SureFire's two-stage UI (not the dual output clickie UI) is one of SureFire's most important contributions to flashlight ergonomics - it will continue to evolve and advance.

The K2, L1, UB2 and UA2 show SureFire's continuing commitment.

SureFire have so much more to offer and I consider the two-stage output UI to be integral to this.

Al

P.S.
The L1 is my current EDC and so I obviously favour it to the E1L.

bigfoot

Enlightened

Glad to hear you are picking up an E1L. As time goes on it is becoming one of my favorites for all-around use. Enjoy your new light!

:twothumbs

Size15's

Flashaholic

The UB2/UA2 two-stage output switch is operationally the same as the A2/L1/K2 etc. I don't see this changing. It is not the same switch though.