mini-mag weapons lite?

JMO

Newly Enlightened
saw a tactical shotgun in a pawn shop yesterday with a tactical light. After asking the guy for a close-up it was a mini-mag with the tailcap replaced with a pressure switch and the light was attached to the extended magazine with a black painted hose clamp. Bet that guy could light up his neighborhood.

mindcrime

Newly Enlightened
This is actually a great idea. You would never even have to fire a shot. The bad guy will just die laughing!

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's so he can see his foor before he shoots it..

Heh heh heh Darell I know they say imitation is the best form of flattery or something like that but I just realized how much my graphic ended up looking like yours (Layout I mean)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

You can get those at "W.S.Darley&Co"(edarley.com) for $15.95 - fits AA MagLite and Streamlight Jr. It has a 10" curly cord with pressure pad.

They also have Scorpion weaponlight - two firearm mounts, 10" curly cord, Scorpion, and 2 DL123As for $92.95.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

why does everyone make fun of magilghts? They're probably the most useful flashlight ever made. I'm am the biggest maglight fan there is.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Actually this reminds me, I had several for night hunting before I discovered the much better small lights -- the curly cord w/momentary pad switch would make a GREAT switch with the cord shortened and the switch mounted on the side of the barrel (glued or sticky velcro'd, etc.) and positioned directly under the thumb. Much more ergonomic than the rear tailcap switches that you pretty much have to hold over your shoulder in order to press the switch comfortably.

Just add the superduper W/A bulb or MagPill and you're set to go...

Darell

Flashaholic
They're certainly the most common flashlights ever made, but I'm not sold on them being the most useful. At least not in stock mode. I bought them like candy when they first came out, and they were the most exciting, practical thing you could buy at the time. For a kid, there was nothing better to impress your friends with. I must have had ten of them around. But with all the great stuff that's available now, the Mag mistique is a bit long in the tooth. Please don't take it personally - we can't all like the same stuff.

Before I'd grab an unconverted Minimag, there are about ten other lights I'd consider that will be better for any task I ever do. Getting wet? Grab the UK 2L. Need the Minimag's light but with an even, white beam (where the bulb can't be broken)? Grab the Newbeam conversion. Need an even, brighter beam? Grab the Arc LS. Need a reading light? Grab the Infinity or Arc AAA. Need to burn a hole in the wall? Grab a Surefire M6. Need something dinky? Grab the Photon. That's just the way I think. Your mileage may vary. I'm just not a big fan of having to "focus" the ugly, blobby beam every time I turn it on. Has anybody, in the history of flashlight use, ever found a need for the "flood" setting that consists of more rings and dark spots than anything you'd call a beam? Sorry, got kind of exciting there. One final reminder: Don't take this personally. You're in the majority with liking Minimags. If not here at the CPF, then certainly in the general population.

Do you need a bunch of spare bulbs? I've got a bunch of them sitting around. Stock ones and Nextstars that I'll never use again.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm looking forward to fitting my MM out with the new W/A 28 lumens bulb. Should make the light very useful. Have to sort out beam quality though.

I've never heard of a MM failing and it is still the one we judge other small lights by.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

dont' worry, I don't take mag insults personally, i'm not a surefire fan. ha ha just kidding. yeah there not the absolute best lights around, but what other light can do so much? true, for 10 different task you wnat 10 differnet lights, but if you could only have 1 light to cover most everything, the first I grab is the mag.
they ar extremely durable, i can't imagine another light being able to take the abuse that mine has. light output isn't that great, but enough for most everything, runtime is okay, but enough for most everything, and it's small and pocketable. all for less than 10 bucks. I just wonder why so many peopel make fun of it for no reason. maybe they just feel better to justify spending more money on other flashligts. i dunno, i've tried almost every other flashight out there, but mags are still one of the first one's i grab. aren't there any other maglight fans out there? maybe this should be in a separtate topic.

oh yeah, i think the only other light that could possible compete with the useful ness of the mini mag light is the ARC-Ls with the 2AA battery pack.

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one of the reasons Maglites are the subject of jokes here, is because they haven't made any real design improvements or changes for such a long time. Mags just haven't changed, even though lamp and reflector technology has advanced considerably.

That being said, Mag do have a good market share, but unless they decide to adopt some newer technology soon I think they are going to lose more and more market share to others.

I don't think many here would argue with the good build of a Maglite body(which is why there are so many Mag conversions..). Its the beam quality which annoys most of us. I'm always amused when I show someone my Mag 3D at tightest focus, and then pull out my little UK 2L for comparison.

Graham

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I think the MMs still have great market share due to public consumer education, or lack thereof. I would have to say though that the MM is probably still the best CASING out there, for mods and stuff.

Then it just needs an on-off switch for perfection.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MagLightFan:
what other light can do so much?

------------

the only other light that could possible compete with the useful ness of the mini mag light is the ARC-Ls with the 2AA battery pack.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You asked it and answered it all at once. But, the LS isn't a "possible competitor" it'll do everything the MM will do, and way, way more. And if you think the MM is durable, well, you've just got to try an Arc sometime. I can't count the number of bulbs I've broken in my MMs. My daughter can destroy the one in the bezel and the spare in the tailcap in about four seconds flat. And that's before she even ventures out onto the tile. The Arcs, however, are a different animal. I just can't imagine what it would take to break one.

I do like the design of the venerable MM, and it feels great in the hand and operates well. But even the finish is WAY less durable than the likes of SF and Arc.

Now if you want to talk value, that's a whole 'nuther can of worms. No question that in the world of $10 lights, the MM shines [intended]. But we were talking about the first light to grab. For me, the MM is not it. Ever, anymore. If you want a single light that does everything the MM does (except focus, which you must agree is pretty meaningless), yet does more, does it better, and is infinitely more durable, the Arc LS is your answer. It'll cost you way more though. No question there. Honestly, I now use a $20 Arc AAA for all the task I used to do with a MM. After you go through some bulbs and batteries, the AAA becomes cheaper, and is FAR easier to carry and again, is FAR more durable than the MM. Start carrying an Arc AAA, and see how much you use a MM.

Want a brighter $20 light? Like WAY brighter than the MM? You'd be hard-pressed to beat the UK 2L. But then you have the Li battery expense to consider.

Oh, we're quite a ways off topic here. I'd be thrilled to bore you with more of my opinions if you wanted to start a new thread.
smile.gif

jmm

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The nice feature though is the adjustable beam angle. You could tune it to perfectly match the pellet disperson angle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea Darell! Assuming one could remember which choke tube or barrel was mounted, an indexing scale could be inscribed on the head/barrel of the Maglite to allow preseting the thing, and some form of supplemental illumination (LED?, wow, now we have a hybrid light!) could be provided to be able to read the scale, and a "Shock Isolated Bezel" (I can't remember the Maglite accessory P/N
smile.gif
) would be a must have in an application like this.

John

Darell

Flashaholic
The nice feature though is the adjustable beam angle. You could tune it to perfectly match the pellet disperson angle. Then you'd be stylin'. No scope?

Blikbok

Enlightened
Yes, but do you aim with the light rings or the dark rings? What do you do when the bad guy hides in a dark spot?