NiTecorE DefeNdr infiNitEe QwaLity?

bspofford

Enlightened
I waited quite some time to get my two Nitecore Defender Infinity lights from TAD. They arrived today, and I am rather disappointed that all the lettering on the lights is noticeably crooked. With two lights, I have four crooked sets of lettering. Are they all that way, or did I get a couple made by a drunk? I haven't had much time using them, but they certainly look like generic $10 lights from China.:thumbsdow
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb172/pen5bspofford/NDILettering.jpg

Over sized image removed

Last edited by a moderator:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked again, my letterings are fine. Probably someone had one too many drinks :buddies::drunk:

litetube

Enlightened
I thought TAD Gear always opens all sealed flashlights to check for this sort of stuff so that it doesnt reach the customer?:thinking::oops:

yekim

Enlightened
I thought TAD Gear always opens all sealed flashlights to check for this sort of stuff so that it doesnt reach the customer?:thinking::oops:

Yea, not to mention ".................. produced for the US market and are of a higher caliber than Asia market models. "

But before we continue the bashfest, I would like to request pics of your lights if possible.

gilly

Enlightened
Got my NDI from HK Equipment on EBAY. Perfect in all regards - including the lettering. There are always lemons in the batch and sounds like you may have ended up with one or two. TAD needs to help you out - call them!!

Mandril

Banned
Pal they are just some letters as long as the light works it shouldn't be an issue unless you want to keep your light as a perpetual shelf king, my NDI works flawlessly and it already has marks from EDCing, letters? what letters they are starting to fade anyways. :poke:

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Pal they are just some letters as long as the light works it shouldn't be an issue unless you want to keep your light as a perpetual shelf king, my NDI works flawlessly and it already has marks from EDCing, letters? what letters they are starting to fade anyways. :poke:

For the $80 price tag I would expect mine to be perfect. But that's just me....I think.:duh2:

Mandril

Banned
For the $80 price tag I would expect mine to be perfect. But that's just me....I think.:duh2:

I'm not saying you don't, but i think the letters are just minor cosmetic issues in a light that is meant to be used, as long as the light functions correctly is good at least for me. Now i would not try to exchange it because there of the shipping costs involved, just sell it in the BST with a little premium because as people may pay a premium for a light that has some sort of factory oddity just like currency or stamps.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an image showing us the problem?
This would give the complaint some credibility.
Yaesumofo

I waited quite some time to get my two Nitecore Defender Infinity lights from TAD. They arrived today, and I am rather disappointed that all the lettering on the lights is noticeably crooked. Are they all that way, or did I get a couple made by a drunk? I haven't had much time using them, but they certainly look like generic $10 lights from China.:thumbsdow

Snow

Enlightened

It's not just you. What's so hard about quality control? When I spend my hard earned money on something, I don't want flaws, especially for $80.

bspofford

Enlightened
It's not just you. What's so hard about quality control? When I spend my hard earned money on something, I don't want flaws, especially for $80.

I remember getting a cheap audio card for my PC some years back that had "Copy Wright" written on it. I don't worry about misspelled words and poor English in manuals, and I wouldn't complain if a cheap light had crooked lettering. But this is an $80 AA light that is held out to have premium quality. Maybe I'm the one who can't see straight, so I'll post photos tomorrow.:drunk:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry, but could you please post a photo? like yaesomofo says, it would give more credibility...and we can at least see what you mean

Crenshaw

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new one from TAD. Nothing crooked but the lettering is not vertically centered in the flats (they are either flush at top or bottom of flat) and it definitely is just a tad (no pun intended) tilted (if you draw a line through the text it will not run parallel to the flat). Maybe I'll put up a pic this weekend if no one else does.

PS Look at Crenshaw's siggy. Mine looks very similar but with a slight tilt to the lettering. The Nitecore lettering on the opposite flat is flush to the bottom and also tilted.

Last edited:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
This thread is pointless without pictures. There is no issue with this light until we can see the evidence. Why start a thread like this without proof? It just damages the reputations of TAD and Nitecore.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would bug me, too, if the lettering was not parallel to the edge of the flats. It sounds like a real issue to 2 people who have gotten their lights from TAD. I have one coming from TAD, too. I think I will call them today. I don't think it has been shipped. If this is what they are doing to "improve" the US versions, they can keep their light. I'll order another from HKequipment. Are there any postive "improvements" you can see between the TAD version and the asian version? TAD claims improved threads and head.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would bug me, too, if the lettering was not parallel to the edge of the flats. It sounds like a real issue to 2 people who have gotten their lights from TAD. I have one coming from TAD, too. I think I will call them today. I don't think it has been shipped. If this is what they are doing to "improve" the US versions, they can keep their light. I'll order another from HKequipment. Are there any postive "improvements" you can see between the TAD version and the asian version? TAD claims improved threads and head.

as i said in the original NDI sale thread at MP, i dont believe that edge would make a difference soley for the US market...whats the point? unless its an American flag etched into it or something,they would more likley implement any imporvements to all thier lights.And its suspicious to me that the SOLE distributor in the US is the one making the statement. in effect they are saying " our lights will be better because edgetac is making them special only for us".......sounds like a marketing ploy to me..

Crenshaw

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be a marketing ploy. On the other hand, it sounds like there is a different production run being sent out by TAD, if there is different imprinting (faulty imprinting) on their lights. Couldn't this run have other changes? I have a light from HKequipment that I will compare with the one TAD sends me.

bspofford

Enlightened
Took four photos of four crooked sides today but decided to post only one since they are all the same. I added one photo to my first post above. You can scroll down to align the knurling with the frame of your screen to confirm that the slanted text isn't just an artifact related to paralax.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took four photos of four crooked sides today but decided to post only one since they are all the same. I added one photo to my first post above. You can scroll down to align the knurling with the frame of your screen to confirm that the slanted text isn't just an artifact related to paralax.
i can see what you mean now....i suggest contacting edgetac to see if they can do anything about it.

Crenshaw

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can see what you mean now....i suggest contacting edgetac to see if they can do anything about it.

Crenshaw

If anybody is contacting EdgeTac about this issue, find out if their ARE improvements in the lights being sent to the US, besides the obvious defect in imprinting.

The new Fenix E01's have some imprinting issues with the serial numbers not being centered with the the flat and Fenix logo. Most people don't care because is a $15 dollar light. For $80, the light should look like it.

Last edited: