Q5 in L1?

Turt

Enlightened
Has anyone tried swapping out the Cree (whatever bin surefire uses) from a new L1 and replaced it with a Q5? I'm wondering if it makes a significant difference...

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried swapping out the Cree (whatever bin surefire uses) from a new L1 and replaced it with a Q5? I'm wondering if it makes a significant difference...
I wouldn't bother. Chances are the L1 already has a Q4 or Q5.

I have an A19 head with no converter and a Q4. I've compared that head on a previous generation L1 body with an L1 Cree. The beam profiles are completely different, but neither is considerably brighter than the other. I even swapped heads (L1 Cree head on older body, A19/Q4 head on L1 Cree body) to see if one body was driving the heads considerably higher than the other, but the outputs were still similar.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Current L1s seem to have P4 emitters. Expect ~20% more output from swap to Q5. Personally I wouldn't bother with the swap unless you're unhappy with the tint.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just want to get the damn thing open to change the driver....the L1 could be the perfect light if it had more spill and was more powerful.

Crenshaw

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
I wouldn't bother. Chances are the L1 already has a Q4 or Q5.

I have an A19 head with no converter and a Q4. I've compared that head on a previous generation L1 body with an L1 Cree. The beam profiles are completely different, but neither is considerably brighter than the other. I even swapped heads (L1 Cree head on older body, A19/Q4 head on L1 Cree body) to see if one body was driving the heads considerably higher than the other, but the outputs were still similar.

I actually measured a 20% gain in output when driving a Q5 behind Cree optic using L1 body. Not too noticeable with naked eye though.